Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

College Basketball 2019-2020

Since the other thread is over the 1,000 post limit and the season is over, here’s a new thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: Discussing Blackshear and Florida etc.

I think its father/family driven that he stays in the draft. I'm surprised because he wasn't invited to the NBA or GL combines, even after they expanded the NBA to 77. You'd think the chance to elevate his stock substantially, especially on the defensive side where White & UF could help would be a better choice than starting as an undrafted FA in the GL. That seems to be the choice though as everything I'm hearing, and very recently is that he is still planning on staying in the draft.

As for other possibilities I don't know. Andre Allen signed with ASU already and I'm not sure if we're in on any others. It's too bad Duruji has to sit a year but it's probably for the best to develop him more as he's still very raw. It looks like we'll head into the season with Payne, Stokes, Gak, and Bassett as our front court options, with KJ being able to play some down low and Jason Jitboh likely RS. It's too bad KBJ isn't going to happen because his size would be helpful in the paint for our defense that should otherwise be outstanding.

To continue from the last thread, is Duke a program or a coach? I think at this current state, when Coach K leaves, they will have the resources to go after a top notch coach, but what happens next? What does Duke really offer if you take Coach K off the sidelines. Its no the gigantic state school that a UNC is. It doesn't have a football program that brings in money. Its really a basketball program that has had success under one legendary coach.

I was trying to think of comps to Duke sans K in this current landscape. Purdue came to mind being that it is a pretty meh school for football, isn't the state university, and has had some success in basketball. Vandy to an extent, small, academic school, competes head to head with UT. I can't really think of any more Power 5 comps than those two. Honestly, I think sans Coach K they can hope to be a Villanova type program. Which is a good thing, but a step down from where they currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Re: Discussing Blackshear and Florida etc.

I think its father/family driven that he stays in the draft. I'm surprised because he wasn't invited to the NBA or GL combines, even after they expanded the NBA to 77. You'd think the chance to elevate his stock substantially, especially on the defensive side where White & UF could help would be a better choice than starting as an undrafted FA in the GL. That seems to be the choice though as everything I'm hearing, and very recently is that he is still planning on staying in the draft.

As for other possibilities I don't know. Andre Allen signed with ASU already and I'm not sure if we're in on any others. It's too bad Duruji has to sit a year but it's probably for the best to develop him more as he's still very raw. It looks like we'll head into the season with Payne, Stokes, Gak, and Bassett as our front court options, with KJ being able to play some down low and Jason Jitboh likely RS. It's too bad KBJ isn't going to happen because his size would be helpful in the paint for our defense that should otherwise be outstanding.
    Kentucky was in on Blackshear as well, although I kinda conceded it would likely be Florida had he stayed. Florida is going to have good guard and wing play but they are thin inside.

Regarding White and his future, with the SEC improving every year I think it’s more difficult to assume ANYBODY is going to do great. That even applies to Kentucky as the playing field is more level. I like what White has done at Florida but he walked into a pretty good gig being a relative unknown.

If he does what Gator fans are hoping, more power to him, but he could do like Billy Donovan and craft his own future in Gainesville as opposed to following in Coach Ks footsteps (which I think is going to be highly impossible for any coach).
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-16-2019),Rojo Rijo (05-16-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-17-2019)

On a side note, anyone else think Zion comes back to Duke and sets a rather nasty precedent?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    To continue from the last thread, is Duke a program or a coach? I think at this current state, when Coach K leaves, they will have the resources to go after a top notch coach, but what happens next? What does Duke really offer if you take Coach K off the sidelines. Its no the gigantic state school that a UNC is. It doesn't have a football program that brings in money. Its really a basketball program that has had success under one legendary coach.

I was trying to think of comps to Duke sans K in this current landscape. Purdue came to mind being that it is a pretty meh school for football, isn't the state university, and has had some success in basketball. Vandy to an extent, small, academic school, competes head to head with UT. I can't really think of any more Power 5 comps than those two. Honestly, I think sans Coach K they can hope to be a Villanova type program. Which is a good thing, but a step down from where they currently are.
    Georgetown or UConn come to mind for me.

It’s name recognition alone. Duke will likely fall when K retires but it depends on who the hire is and possibly the one after or the one after that.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    On a side note, anyone else think Zion comes back to Duke and sets a rather nasty precedent?
    No

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-17-2019),dubc47834 (05-17-2019),JaxRed (05-17-2019),Revering4Blue (05-16-2019)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Zion Williamson's stepdad shoots down speculation of likely No. 1 pick returning to Duke

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/z...rning-to-duke/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

IMHO, a fair comparison for Duke both pre and post Coach K: Michigan State pre and post Izzo.

But cutting to the chase, Duke, having reached the Championship game twice and finishing in the Top 25 several times pre-Coach K, was significantly stronger than Michigan State pre-Izzo. Yes, I'm fully aware that Michigan State won the championship in '79 and reached the Elite 8 in '78, but the program was mostly "meh" before Izzo got them rolling in '98 or so. Two caveats in Heathcoate's favor: Had instant replay existed in '86 and '90, Michigan State would have had two more Elite 8 (or higher) appearances:

1)The clock controversy in '86 against #1 seed Kansas in Kansas City (what a surprise), in which the clock didn't move for several seconds, allowing Kansas to tie the game and eventually win in overtime.

2)Kenny Anderson's shot to tie Big Ten Champs Michigan State and force overtime in a 1990 Sweet 16 match-up was clearly after the end-of-regulation buzzer.

The difference between the two programs: While both are obviously Elite programs with, most importantly, Elite Coaches, Duke -- given the National brand -- is still considered an elite job. Only UNC, (clearly the top ACC job, if not the top job in the country) and Louisville are mentioned in the same breath as Duke as far as top ACC jobs -- and remember, we're taking about the job, not the status of the program -- are concerned.

Contrast that with Michigan State. Sure, it's the top B1G program with one of the best coaches in the Country, but its historical success is much more of a function of Izzo than Duke's success is a function of Coach K - though obviously, Coach K's tenure encompasses around 70% (arguably higher) of the program's success. But given the better resources and inherent advantages of IU, OSU, Maryland and Michigan, Michigan State's sustained success post Izzo is seriously in question.

What would concern me were I a Duke fan/graduate, the assumption that Coach K will insist on keeping it in the family once he retires. I don't see that as an issue (keeping it in the family) with UNC once Williams retires.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-17-2019)

Doubtful. The shoe incident should have been a prime sign to go pro. I would also guess he's either withdrawn from school or not attending any classes. He only needed to be eligible for the spring semester. Now that's over, what's the point of going to class? Of course if he wants to come back he can always take summer classes and get back his eligibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I don't see that as an issue (keeping it in the family) with UNC once Williams retires.
    If not, it's only because they were burned so badly on Doherty when they insisted on keeping it in the family in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If not, it's only because they were burned so badly on Doherty when they insisted on keeping it in the family in 2000.
    Jerod Haase and King Rice are the two that will be mentioned, but they will have to prove themselves before Daggum Roy retires. The latter more so than the former.

Wes Miller is the best they've got out there right now.

Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-17-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    UCLA, Stanford and Oregon State are in a 3-way tie for 1st in the PAC-12. UCLA should win easily with 6 games to go. They hold tie-breakers over both Stanford and OSU.

OSU plays three games @ Stanford beginning in 90 minutes, while Stanford travels to Arizona State for three next weekend.

This OSU/Stanford series has their best pitchers for both clubs ready and able (though no Abel for OSU, of course).
    Nice post RedEye! Just teasing you for posting in the wrong thread.

Turn Off Ads?