Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would classify 6-6 so far as “struggling” when you consider how WVU started the season. Even then, you can’t deny the majority of WVUs losses come in Big 12 play. With the exception of Baylor this year and predominantly Kansas, nobody else really runs the table in that conference.

One thing I will say about the WVU-Kentucky game that season, that was an absolute dismantling of a team that I had ever seen in a tournament game. Not like Kentucky needed it, but Daxter Miles gave them plenty of bulletin board material. I had plenty of WVU fans talking smack early in the week and once the game started and Kentucky took control they were immediately blaming the refs.

I also think UK expended so much energy in that game that they nearly lost to Notre Dame two days later. The Wisconsin game broke me as a UK fan for a number of reasons and has made me wish for the one and done to end.
    fwiw, I heard an interview with Dax this year where he swears he was misquoted by the media. I thought we had a 1% chance of winning that game....I had watched that UK team destroy teams all season. Wasn't that the year they held UCLA to single digits in the first half? Also, sure we are clearly struggling this year in recent weeks, and but I think we would be struggling if we were in the ASUN....we are just playing very bad basketball on both sides of the ball against good and bad teams.

We will never forget the WVU/UK meeting in 2010....think you guys had Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe....and WVU move on to the Final 4! The committee loves to put Cal and Huggins in the same region.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Any predictions on where Beilein ends up when his time inevitably ends with the Cavs?
    I have seen predictions of Texas and Wake Forest. If he wants to still coach, he will have major conference offers. I would love to see him go to a non blue blood or even close to it.....maybe even a mid major. I have always thought he was best when he had to recruit and fit a team of non blue chip players together. The man almost took 2 Mike Gansey and Kevin Pittsnogle teams to the Final 4....blew a big lead to Louisville to lose in OT in the Elite 8 in 2005.....then lost on a buzzer beater 35 foot shot by Texas in the Sweet 16 in 2006. I am not sure there is a another coach in America that could do as much as he did with those rosters.

Huge win at MSG for Xavier to (likely) remain on the correct side of the Bubble. Looked like X was going to cough this one up but finished strong. A little help from St. John's with a missed front end of the one and one with about 25 seconds left.

College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    fwiw, I heard an interview with Dax this year where he swears he was misquoted by the media. I thought we had a 1% chance of winning that game....I had watched that UK team destroy teams all season. Wasn't that the year they held UCLA to single digits in the first half? Also, sure we are clearly struggling this year in recent weeks, and but I think we would be struggling if we were in the ASUN....we are just playing very bad basketball on both sides of the ball against good and bad teams.

We will never forget the WVU/UK meeting in 2010....think you guys had Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe....and WVU move on to the Final 4! The committee loves to put Cal and Huggins in the same region.
    The quote he made that got under the UK players skin was “they don’t play hard”. Tyler Ulis who was on that team said they wanted to beat WVU by 50 after Miles comments.

I do agree though, wouldn’t surprise me if Cal and Huggins end up in the same region. I think WVU wins this year just because of the size inside with Oscar and Culver. Neutralize Richards and UK goes cold from three and it’s a loss for Kentucky.

FWIW, I think this years Kentucky team could beat Baylor but lose to Kansas or WVU. It’s all about matchups.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Iowa State is 9 of 12 from 3 in the 1st Half @ Kansas....and still down by 10 points.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I have seen predictions of Texas and Wake Forest. If he wants to still coach, he will have major conference offers. I would love to see him go to a non blue blood or even close to it.....maybe even a mid major.
    That Shaka thing not working out so well in Austin? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That Shaka thing not working out so well in Austin? LOL
    I have been surprised by his struggles, but I read an article defending him, and it did make some sense. It walked through each year, and he has been a little snake bitten....a guy like Jaxson Hayes who nobody projected as a 1 and done bounces after one year, Andrew Jones being diagnosed with leukemia, and there were several other things listed. I do get how those things can really impact a program.

I have been surprised by his struggles, but I read an article defending him, and it did make some sense. It walked through each year, and he has been a little snake bitten....a guy like Jaxson Hayes who nobody projected as a 1 and done bounces after one year, Andrew Jones being diagnosed with leukemia, and there were several other things listed. I do get how those things can really impact a program.
    Aside from illness the OAD(or any early entrants) aspect has hurt a lot of programs including my Hoosiers. I think Shaka is a fine coach, it just sadly isn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Aside from illness the OAD(or any early entrants) aspect has hurt a lot of programs including my Hoosiers. I think Shaka is a fine coach, it just sadly isn't working out.
    I hate it....I wish they would just allow the kids that do not want to go to college a path to bypass. The only schools that can thrive with it are the ones that can basically replace 5 one and done guys with a whole new group like UK/Duke. Can you imagine how good a Romeo Langford could be as a Sophomore or Junior? But they do little for a program in a single year.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-18-2020)

But they do little for a program in a single year.
    John Wall did quite a bit in one year.

So did Anthony Davis.

Okafor won a championship in one year and bolted for serious cash before anyone realized how limited he was.

These kids are doing what's best for them.

That's what college is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

So did Anthony Davis.

Okafor won a championship in one year and bolted for serious cash before anyone realized how limited he was.

Ummm, college is for getting a higher education. That was the premise of it...sorry UK fan.
    Last edited by Assembly Hall; 02-18-2020 at 03:04 PM.

I hate it....I wish they would just allow the kids that do not want to go to college a path to bypass. The only schools that can thrive with it are the ones that can basically replace 5 one and done guys with a whole new group like UK/Duke. Can you imagine how good a Romeo Langford could be as a Sophomore or Junior? But they do little for a program in a single year.
    We talk about it quite a bit on HSN. College basketball needs the same model as college baseball.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

So did Anthony Davis.

not sure if you read my post, or only read the sentence you quoted....the players you mentioned are all from UK or Duke and played beside other one and done talent which is exactly what I stated. Wall did not win a championship....did not even make it to the Final 4. That team was a huge failure based on talent. AD played with 6 guys that made it to the NBA that season, and 2 others were also one and dones. Okafor's Duke team had 8 guys that went to the NBA including 2 other one and dones. I am talking about Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz, Romeo Langford and Anthony Edward types....elite talent that chooses schools that do not operate almost only on the one and done model.....all great players, but could not really help their teams in only one season.

Just wanted to add....look at the talent that has rolled through Washington in recent years....Marquese Chriss (#52 RCSI - 2015), Dejounte Murray (#45 RCSI - 2015), Matisse Thybulle, Markelle Fultz (#5 RCSI - 2016), Jaylen Nowell (#66 RCSI - 2017), Isaiah Stewart (#2 RCSI - 2019), Jaden McDaniels (#7 RCSI - 2019)....that is all over a 5 year period and only Thybulle (4 Seasons) and Nowell (2 Seasons) were not 1 and dones. All of those teams sucked....but imagine if those groups stayed 3 years and overlapped.
    Last edited by adkindo; 02-18-2020 at 11:51 PM.

WVU looked terrible in the 1st Half against OK State tonight, but looked back to normal in the 2nd half holding OK State to 14 points in the half.....winning 65-47.

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2020)

I have always heard to most likely championship teams will have a Top 10 offense and defense per Kenpom, and it is really important to be Top 20 in both.

Top #10 Offense and Defense
    Kansas - #10 Offense | #2 Defense
    Duke - #8 Offense | #5 Defense
    San Diego State- #7 Offense | #7 Defense

Top #20 Offense and Defense
    Michigan State - #19 Offense | #15 Defense

Almost Top #20 Offense and Defense
    Baylor - #22 Offense | #3 Defense
    Gonzaga - #1 Offense | #35 Defense
    Maryland - #33 Offense | #6 Defense
    Ohio State - #21 Offense | #14 Defense
    Arizona - #16 Offense | #25 Defense