Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Crazy day in college basketball.

Baylor won for the first time ever in Allen Fieldhouse.(0-17 before today)

Clemson won in Chapel Hill for the first time (0-59 before today). Clemson rallied from 18 points down (translation: UNC blew an 18 point lead).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Most "experts" have 10 teams from the B1G in the NCAAT. Yeah, I would say the league is tough.
    seems like they have mostly been slipping into the mid and late seeds in recent weeks compared to earlier in the season. We will see at the end of the season where things stand. Who do you think are legitimate Final 4 contenders? Michigan State? If you look at Kenpom, you have 9 teams between #15-#40 which is mostly considered a mediocre team range in Kenpom. I am not suggesting it is a bad conference by any stretch.....just do not really see any "gauntlet" conferences out there this year as usually exists in the past.

WVU defense just smothered the life out of Texas Tech today. WVU now has the #2 Defense (adjusted rating) per Kenpom, only trailing UVA whose rating is 83.5 compared to WVU @ 83.6. Should be favorites in our next 8 games at least, 6 are at home, before Kansas visits Morgantown.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    seems like they have mostly been slipping into the mid and late seeds in recent weeks compared to earlier in the season. We will see at the end of the season where things stand. Who do you think are legitimate Final 4 contenders? Michigan State? If you look at Kenpom, you have 9 teams between #15-#40 which is mostly considered a mediocre team range in Kenpom. I am not suggesting it is a bad conference by any stretch.....just do not really see any "gauntlet" conferences out there this year as usually exists in the past.
    What is your definition of a "gauntlet" conference? I mean tOSU is 1-4 in B1G play. Heading into yesterday's game they were ranked #11. They are now tied for last.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    DePaul is 9-0 with wins @ Iowa, @ Boston College, @ Minnesota and vs. Texas Tech. This seems to be for real.
    Things change. DePaul is now in last place in the Big East as the only team w/o a conference win. Conference play tends to sort out the contenders from the pretenders. It is a tough conference

What is your definition of a "gauntlet" conference? I mean tOSU is 1-4 in B1G play. Heading into yesterday's game they were ranked #11. They are now tied for last.
    2 or 4 teams that are legitimate Final 4 teams....another 3 to 4 teams that are top #5 or #6 Seeds in the tournament. There were years the ACC had Duke, UNC and UVA all fighting for #1 Seeds....and several Sweet 16 level teams like Florida State, Va. Tech etc. Clearly they are not that this season. The old Big East is the best example of a year in year out gauntlet.

For example, most consider the best team in the Big10 to be Michigan State, right? What is their best win? A Michigan team that is 4-4 over it's last 8 games? Michigan State is currently losing by 16 points at a 9-7 Purdue with less than 12 minutes left in the game. I expect Michigan State to make a comeback and may even with the game because they are much more talented than Purdue....but if Michigan State is going to be an elite team, they can't be getting in these situations. You may have 8 or more teams contending for a tournament spot in March, but how many will you have in Top #2 Seeds? Top #4 Seeds? I doubt many, and I think that is evidence of mediocrity for a 14 Team conference.

The grass isn't always greener, Mick. UCLA falls to 8-8 on the season, losing their 5th game out of their last 6.

2 or 4 teams that are legitimate Final 4 teams....another 3 to 4 teams that are top #5 or #6 Seeds in the tournament. There were years the ACC had Duke, UNC and UVA all fighting for #1 Seeds....and several Sweet 16 level teams like Florida State, Va. Tech etc. Clearly they are not that this season. The old Big East is the best example of a year in year out gauntlet.

For example, most consider the best team in the Big10 to be Michigan State, right? What is their best win? A Michigan team that is 4-4 over it's last 8 games? Michigan State is currently losing by 16 points at a 9-7 Purdue with less than 12 minutes left in the game. I expect Michigan State to make a comeback and may even with the game because they are much more talented than Purdue....but if Michigan State is going to be an elite team, they can't be getting in these situations. You may have 8 or more teams contending for a tournament spot in March, but how many will you have in Top #2 Seeds? Top #4 Seeds? I doubt many, and I think that is evidence of mediocrity for a 14 Team conference.
    Ummm...BS on everything you said. You are judging a conference by how it is at the top. 12 B1G teams are in KenPom's top 38. Look at the schools SoS. What you call mediocrity I call a damn tough conference. Getting teams into the tournament is my bar.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The grass isn't always greener, Mick. UCLA falls to 8-8 on the season, losing their 5th game out of their last 6.
    I think Mick made a mistake going to Westwood.

Ummm...BS on everything you said. You are judging a conference by how it is at the top. 12 B1G teams are in KenPom's top 38. Look at the schools SoS. What you call mediocrity I call a damn tough conference. Getting teams into the tournament is my bar.
    because you disagree, it is "bs"? I do not agree with your opinion....or more accurately I have doubts about your opinion, but I do not consider your thoughts "bs". Sure many very intelligent people agree with you. Ok, we definitely have different methods of determining very good conferences. Guess I was wrong about Michigan State making a comeback...that 16 point deficit almost doubled to lose by 29. Have to see where things are in March when any preseason bias has been mostly squeezed out.

I agree unless they allow him to recruit the type of roster he needs. Will the fans accept not being in on every flashy 5 star? Will UCLA fans accept the style of play that he clearly has show to be successful in the wins column in the past? I am not sure they will, or at least give him the time to change their minds.

In the career wins column, Bob Huggins (#15 - 873) should catch and pass Adolf Rupp (#14 - 876) and Dean Smith (#12 - 879) over the next few weeks....and likely passes Roy Williams (#12 - 879) within a month.
    Last edited by adkindo; 01-12-2020 at 10:36 PM.

15. Likes:

Chip R (01-13-2020)

It's still year 1. I'd give him some more slack. And I hate the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It's still year 1. I'd give him some more slack. And I hate the guy.
    Nothing against Mick here, it is my dislike of UCLA.

In the career wins column, Bob Huggins (#15 - 863) should catch and pass Adolf Rupp (#14 - 876) and Dean Smith (#12 - 879) over the next few weeks....and likely passes Roy Williams (#12 - 879) within a month.
    How many championships and FF appearances?

Turn Off Ads?