Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Crisis narrowly averted again.

2. Likes:

Spanky (02-16-2020),texasdave (02-16-2020),Todd Gack (02-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    This team could lose 3 of their remaining regular season games and miss out on tournament orrrrrrrrr make an Elite 8 run. I have no idea how this will go.

All in all, they have played through an incredible amount of adversity this year. Quickly becoming one of my favorite UC teams of all time. 2006 will remain my favorite for multiple reasons.
    If they could start making their free throws then they would be comfortably winning these games.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Six overtime games for the Bearcats this season, including the last 3.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Six overtime games for the Bearcats this season, including the last 3.
    Yep 4-2 in OT.

Could be the Cardiac Cats again...

Agreed with Todd Gack, one of my favorite Bearcats teams to watch.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bearcats playing with fire again, trailing by 8 with 11 minutes to go against East Carolina.
    What's the record for most OT games for a team in one season? It seems like UC has fared pretty well in all of them.

WVU is pretty much done....this team looks like a first weekend out in the tournament. In other big news, had the potential incoming freshman parental tour @ Florida Gulf Coast University and came home with a Dunk City shirt! They stink this year, but Dunk City will rise again!!!

Last edited by adkindo; 02-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    WVU is pretty much done....this team looks like a first weekend out in the tournament. In other big news, had the potential incoming freshman parental tour @ Florida Gulf Coast University and came home with a Dunk City shirt! They stink this year, but Dunk City will rise again!!!

WVU is exactly who I thought they were.

They look like world beaters in out of conference play, get beat up in Big 12 play especially on the road. The roughest part of their schedule is toward the end and right now I think Huggins ass chewings are going in one ear and out the other.

They’ll be at highest a three seed. I’m thinking four but a lot depends on the Big 12 tournament.

As a UK fan and knowing that the selection committee likes to match up UK and WVU that is one matchup I don’t like for UK if it gets drawn up. One of the best offensive rebounding teams against one of the worst. Culver and Oscar would clean the boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

^^^^Not sure what you thought, but this team was much better on both sides of the ball earlier in the season, and even earlier in conference play. You can't watch the Ohio State or Texas game and pretend this is the same team. They have zero confidence....and I am being honest, they just look poorly prepared and poorly coached at this point. I said the same thing about last years team until half the team was removed from the roster and Huggins could not longer substitute instead of coach. This year, especially recently he has began the "yanking of a player" after every little mistake, and their confidence is terrible.

College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    ^^^^Not sure what you thought, but this team was much better on both sides of the ball earlier in the season, and even earlier in conference play. You can't watch the Ohio State or Texas game and pretend this is the same team. They have zero confidence....and I am being honest, they just look poorly prepared and poorly coached at this point. I said the same thing about last years team until half the team was removed from the roster and Huggins could not longer substitute instead of coach. This year, especially recently he has began the "yanking of a player" after every little mistake, and their confidence is terrible.
    Texas is crap and Ohio State has really fallen off (although that’s more of a credit to Big Ten basketball beating up on each other)

We’ve seen this song and dance from WVU every year except last which was a struggle. Win big early and mentioned as a 1-2 seed, struggle in the Big 12 because teams play each other twice and know each other, do good enough to make it as a 4-5 seed and make it to the Sweet 16 and lose to a Kentucky, Gonzaga, or Villanova.

As for the confidence issues, I think players are tuning Huggins out. Curious to see who transfers out. My money is on McCabe.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

College Basketball 2019-2020

Dp

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's the record for most OT games for a team in one season? It seems like UC has fared pretty well in all of them.
    The six overtime games in a season has tied the record for UC basketball. So, with one more overtime game, the Bearcats will set a school record.

I found this little tidbit:
    The 1981 Bradley vs. Cincinnati men's basketball game is the longest NCAA Division I men's basketball game ever played and tied for the most overtime periods, regardless of NCAA classification, with seven. The University of Cincinnati visited Bradley University on December 21, 1981, and defeated them 75–73 after 75 minutes of game time. Little-used bench player Doug Schloemer scored on a 15-foot jump shot with one second remaining to propel the Bearcats to victory.
    I suppose you really can find the answer to everything on the web. Here we go:

OVERTIME GAMES 8—Western Ky., 1978 (won 5, lost 3); Portland, 1984 (won 4, lost 4); Valparaiso, 1993 (won 4, lost 4) CONSECUTIVE OVERTIME GAMES 4—Jacksonville, 1982 (won 3, lost 1); Illinois St., 1985 (won 3, lost 1); Dayton, 1988 (won 1, lost 3) OVERTIME WINS 6—Chattanooga, 1989 (6-0); Wake Forest, 1984 (6-1); Lafayette, 2008 (6-1) OVERTIME HOME WINS 5—Cincinnati, 1967 (5-0) OVERTIME ROAD WINS 5—Lafayette, 2008 (5-1) OVERTIME PERIODS 14—Bradley, 1982 (3-3) CONSECUTIVE OVERTIME WINS—ALL-TIME 11—Louisville, Feb. 10, 1968, to Mar. 29, 1975; Massachusetts, Mar. 21, 1991, to Feb. 28, 1996; Virginia, Dec. 5, 1991, to Feb. 8, 1996.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-16-2020 at 10:50 PM.

14. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020),cumberlandreds (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Texas is crap and Ohio State has really fallen off (although that’s more of a credit to Big Ten basketball beating up on each other)

We’ve seen this song and dance from WVU every year except last which was a struggle. Win big early and mentioned as a 1-2 seed, struggle in the Big 12 because teams play each other twice and know each other, do good enough to make it as a 4-5 seed and make it to the Sweet 16 and lose to a Kentucky, Gonzaga, or Villanova.

As for the confidence issues, I think players are tuning Huggins out. Curious to see who transfers out. My money is on McCabe.
    I really do not get where you are coming from....the 4 years prior to this year, Kenpom has ranked the Big12 the best basketball conference in the country....3 of those 4 years, WVU finished 2nd in the Big 12 in the regular season and making the tournament championship game twice in those 4 years. Since WVU joined the Big12, only Kansas has more conference wins. I am not sure why you suggest WVU has "struggled" in the Big12. Also, why focus on the Big12, WVU had the 27th toughest non conference schedule in the country and the 10th toughest schedule in the country overall Kenpom. So I see UK had the 231st toughest non-con schedule, so that may lead you to believe everyone was playing easy game, but WVU was not when they went 10-1 in the non-conference schedule. It does not matter that Texas is not a great team, they are talented enough to play with about anyone on any given night, and if WVU plays Texas Tech (away), Kansas State (away), Oklahoma (away) or even Kansas (home) with the effort they played against Texas, they lose none of those games. I am not discounting your opinion, it has as much value as my opinion, but I get the sense you have some preconceived perceptions about WVU that do not exactly align with this roster. Finally, in regards to McCabe, I would maybe consider transferring if I was him, but I truly doubt he does. He is the most grounded guy on the team, and I think his long term goals are to play some level of professional basketball and to get into coaching asap....and at least to this point, I think he is one of the least likely to bounce because he views playing for Huggins as part of his education. I wonder a little more about a guy like Emmitt Matthews who is probably the most purely talented player on the roster and is just having a disastrous season.

One more thing....you point out WVU gets to the Sweet 16 and loses to Kentucky, Gonzaga or Villanova. There is zero shame in any of those 3 Sweet 16 losses. That UK team is the best college basketball team I have seen in my lifetime, and I still have no idea how they lost to Wisconsin in the Final 4. The Gonzaga team made it to the Championship game, and we had the lead with 1 minute left in the game and Jevon Carter misses the final shot of the game which would have tied the game. Finally, the next years loss to Villanova was the best game of the tournament....Nova goes on to win the championship and WVU was the only team the entire tournament that held a lead in the 2nd half against Villanova that year. Say what you want, but if WVU has different draws in each of those years, there is a high probability they are in the Final 4 each year. Ironically, the most talented team during that 4 year run (Carter/Miles era), was their Sophomore year when they lost in the 1st round as a #2 Seed to Stephen F. Austin when Thomas Walkup played out of his mind to upset WVU.
    Last edited by adkindo; 02-17-2020 at 12:50 PM.

I would classify 6-6 so far as “struggling” when you consider how WVU started the season. Even then, you can’t deny the majority of WVUs losses come in Big 12 play. With the exception of Baylor this year and predominantly Kansas, nobody else really runs the table in that conference.

One thing I will say about the WVU-Kentucky game that season, that was an absolute dismantling of a team that I had ever seen in a tournament game. Not like Kentucky needed it, but Daxter Miles gave them plenty of bulletin board material. I had plenty of WVU fans talking smack early in the week and once the game started and Kentucky took control they were immediately blaming the refs.

I also think UK expended so much energy in that game that they nearly lost to Notre Dame two days later. The Wisconsin game broke me as a UK fan for a number of reasons and has made me wish for the one and done to end.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-17-2020)

Any predictions on where Beilein ends up when his time inevitably ends with the Cavs?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Any predictions on where Beilein ends up when his time inevitably ends with the Cavs?
    Canisius?

Turn Off Ads?