Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    While the world slept, college basketball snuck up on everyone. XU hosts Jacksonville tonight. KY and Michigan State kick things off in the Gardens on ESPN. The Bearcats travel up to Columbus to take on tOSU tomorrow night. Dayton waits until the weekend to kick off their season, when they play the Sycamores of Indiana State.
    Duke/Kansas is the first game of the Champions Classic tonight. That should be a good game too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

We've had this discussion before, but no sport is worse about promoting the start of its season than college basketball. The REAL start of the season is around Thanksgiving with all the decent to good to great matchups in the mass of holiday tournaments.

4. Likes:

Chip R (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    We've had this discussion before, but no sport is worse about promoting the start of its season than college basketball. The REAL start of the season is around Thanksgiving with all the decent to good to great matchups in the mass of holiday tournaments.
    True, they run into the problem that the NFL and College Football season are in full tilt for the start of basketball. But I would rather have a sleep start and a great finish than the other way around.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    College basketball would be better off starting in early December and the regular season ending in March. But that would kill March Madness so we will never see that. It did used to start Thanksgiving weekend. I can remember UK almost always starting their season on that Saturday evening after Turkey Day.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-05-2019)

I was just glancing at the schedule, and I found one next Tuesday that's pretty interesting: Memphis vs. Oregon in Portland. We should find out a lot about Memphis that night. If they win that, there will start to be whispers about whether they can run the table, because the rest of their non-conference is manageable, and while the AAC is pretty good, there's no one in their class from a pure talent perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    College basketball would be better off starting in early December and the regular season ending in March. But that would kill March Madness so we will never see that. It did used to start Thanksgiving weekend. I can remember UK almost always starting their season on that Saturday evening after Turkey Day.
    They finish at the perfect time. They really have no other sport to contend with during the end of the conference season, conference tournament, as well as NCAA tournament. They tend to finish right as baseball is starting and the NBA doesn't get interesting until the playoffs.

I think you want the best version of your sport to happen when the most eyes are on you. While the early season has some interesting matchups, the quality of basketball is often a little sloppy.

I absolutely hate the idea of Kentucky’s season starting with the Champions Classic. I like the Classic and hope all four teams continue it, but the very first game of the season with running a team that relies heavily on underclassmen it might as well be an automatic loss for Kentucky unless one of the other three teams are significantly down.

And I am obviously biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I don't, but I do expect MSU to beat them fairly soundly.

Kentucky has enough upperclassmen to play with experience (Hagans and Quickley in the backcourt, Richards, Sestina, and Montgomery across the frontcourt), but the freshmen (especially Juzang, Brooks, and Maxey) are needed for scoring punch and shooting. Only Rocket Watts and Malik Hall are freshmen who will crack Izzo's top nine.

Unless Kentucky has a good day shooting (which is possible), the Spartans should come out ahead by 10 - 15.
    Kentucky likely taking a double digit lead into the locker room. I’ll take it.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

412 fouls were called in the first half.

And most of them really were fouls.

You can't complain about the officials if they call actual fouls, but, God, does it make the game a slog.

This is truly basketball only a hockey goon can enjoy.

The absolute worst thing about college hoops is the officiating. They call so many fouls that just aren't fouls.

Never heard of this Maxey kid but I'm guessing I'll be putting him in some NBA DFS lineups next year. Kid looks like a star in the making.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Missed the game, what was up with Brooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Never heard of this Maxey kid but I'm guessing I'll be putting him in some NBA DFS lineups next year. Kid looks like a star in the making.
    He was 10th on 247s rankings. There was talk that Kentucky and Duke could not have players in the lottery this year but if Maxey plays like this he will be. The three guard lineup is going to cause a lot of problems defensively especially with Hagans but I’m just hoping they get something out of the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Missed the game, what was up with Brooks?
    Non factor. Picked up two fouls in the first half and didn’t play much if at all in the second. Cal rode Nick Richards on a bum ankle.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-06-2019)

I haven't watched the game yet but that was a very nice win. What a great debut for Maxey! That kid seems to have what it takes to be a winner. That shot he hit that clinched the game was sensational! It's very early but you can't help but get excited for the season ahead.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

Tuff Nut (11-06-2019)

Surprisingly relevant game tonight between UC and THE OSU.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-06-2019),Revering4Blue (11-06-2019),Stray (11-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?