Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sexual Abuse at Ohio State

Re: Sexual Abuse at Ohio State

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It was meant to be a little bit of a zing initially, but also the seriousness of this is the reason I backed off as well. I know that there is no one here that condones these actions. I just wish these types of things would stop happening.
    To be fair, the story was dumped on a Saturday. If you want a story to be buried and never talked about, do it on a weekend where as RTG put it he and countless others have lives and don’t follow the news. Couple that with nobody else in it being alive and this story will ultimately die.

Journalism 101.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why has it taken this long for Ohio State to come out with this? It gives the appearance that they wanted to wait until all the guilty parties were long gone

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    To be fair, the story was dumped on a Saturday. If you want a story to be buried and never talked about, do it on a weekend where as RTG put it he and countless others have lives and don’t follow the news. Couple that with nobody else in it being alive and this story will ultimately die.

Journalism 101.
    I heard it Friday morning on the South Bend news.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I heard it Friday morning on the South Bend news.
    It was on ESPN Saturday afternoon.

Friday is still the weekend. It’s a news dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It really shows how easy it is for pedophiles to become embedded especially when folks turn a blind eye to it for years...shows how ignorant folks were to this back in the 70's and 80's.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    It really shows how easy it is for pedophiles to become embedded especially when folks turn a blind eye to it for years...shows how ignorant folks were to this back in the 70's and 80's.
    70's and 80's.....heck that stuff goes on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why has it taken this long for Ohio State to come out with this? It gives the appearance that they wanted to wait until all the guilty parties were long gone
    The former wrestler who really brought the issue to light only came out about it right after the MeToo movement began. I think it was probably tough for these guys to speak up. They were male college athletes who were technically adults when this all went down. I think until the MeToo movement they would have been stigmatized for not defending themselves.

Seriously?

You're a football player and you didn't beat the crap out of this guy when he crossed the line?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Seriously?

You're a football player and you didn't beat the crap out of this guy when he crossed the line?
    I don't believe he was associated with the football program at all.

From the sounds of it, this Dr killed himself in the 80's, and no one in leadership with the university then is still around. The report that came out was launched and funded by the university. There will be a settlement between the university and the abused. The handling of this was far better than what MSU did with Nassar. I won't even get into the PSU mess, because that was done terribly.

I do often wonder why nothing was ever done. If you are a college wrestler, you could have this Dr down on the ground grasping in a few seconds, why didn't anyone ever do anything? I also think that a sport like wrestling in the 80's was not a big time program, they probably had a scholarship numbers crunch, and most of these guys were in it to get a degree while wrestling. They do something to this Dr and they may lose their scholarship. For many of them, keeping quiet and washing their hands of it once they were gone, was the path of least resistance.

I do wonder if these Dr's prey on the ones they know they can. In the case of Nassar, I get the gymnastics angle because these girls have one shot, a shot that really comes when they are 14-20 years old. In reality, you can break it down to how many olympic cycles they will see in their peak years. This guy at OSU preyed on wrestlers and did it for years. Its amazing that he was able to keep doing it while everyone stayed quiet, and he remained unharmed.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

From the sounds of it, this Dr killed himself in the 80's, and no one in leadership with the university then is still around. The report that came out was launched and funded by the university. There will be a settlement between the university and the abused. The handling of this was far better than what MSU did with Nassar. I won't even get into the PSU mess, because that was done terribly.

I do often wonder why nothing was ever done. If you are a college wrestler, you could have this Dr down on the ground grasping in a few seconds, why didn't anyone ever do anything? I also think that a sport like wrestling in the 80's was not a big time program, they probably had a scholarship numbers crunch, and most of these guys were in it to get a degree while wrestling. They do something to this Dr and they may lose their scholarship. For many of them, keeping quiet and washing their hands of it once they were gone, was the path of least resistance.

I do wonder if these Dr's prey on the ones they know they can. In the case of Nassar, I get the gymnastics angle because these girls have one shot, a shot that really comes when they are 14-20 years old. In reality, you can break it down to how many olympic cycles they will see in their peak years. This guy at OSU preyed on wrestlers and did it for years. Its amazing that he was able to keep doing it while everyone stayed quiet, and he remained unharmed.
    He killed himself in 2006 IIRC. This scandal went from 1979 - 1997.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Seriously?

That was exactly my thought. I can't believe he dared to do this to football players

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

From the sound of this, he was associated with the football team:

An attorney preparing a lawsuit against Ohio State University on behalf of more than 50 former athletes who claim they were sexually abused by a team physician told The Associated Press on Saturday that most of those clients were football players, including some who went on to play in the NFL.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...or/3722464002/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    From the sound of this, he was associated with the football team:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...or/3722464002/
    The University sent their players to him for their physical. The Doctor chose to perform them in the sick confines of his sexual fantasy area he called his home/office.

Who in their life hasn't been approached by a preying adult in power, at least once, when they were a teenager, which most of these athletes were, 18 or so?

It's one thing to be a young kid, it's another to be a teenager of good physical strength, at least enough to draw a line. These pieces of crap that abuse their power get away with it because these teenagers don't stand up for themselves out of a worry of looking cool, not wanting to deal with confrontation, or whatever. The bottomline is that they are old enough to determine what happens to themselves and can't go blaming things on others and on circumstances.

There's no God's Will. Fatalists are delusional (crazy). You decide what happens to you.

Demand self-respect from yourself and others and these things won't happen.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

16. Likes:

Chip R (05-28-2019)

The University sent their players to him for their physical. The Doctor chose to perform them in the sick confines of his sexual fantasy area he called his home/office.

Who in their life hasn't been approached by a preying adult in power, at least once, when they were a teenager, which most of these athletes were, 18 or so?

It's one thing to be a young kid, it's another to be a teenager of good physical strength, at least enough to draw a line. These pieces of crap that abuse their power get away with it because these teenagers don't stand up for themselves out of a worry of looking cool, not wanting to deal with confrontation, or whatever. The bottomline is that they are old enough to determine what happens to themselves and can't go blaming things on others and on circumstances.

There's no God's Will. Fatalists are delusional (crazy). You decide what happens to you.

Just to clarify, you are blaming the victims here?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

WOW!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?