Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Candidate: Tanner Roark - MLB Trade Rumors

Trade Candidate: Tanner Roark - MLB Trade Rumors

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ner-roark.html

Giants left-hander Madison Bumgarner and Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler will garner most of the headlines when it comes to rental starters who could move by the July 31 trade deadline. But for teams that aren’t able to win the bidding for either of them, Reds righty Tanner Roark is seemingly shaping up as a decent consolation price. That is, if the Reds – just 4 1/2 games out of a playoff spot despite being five games under .500 – decide to sell Roark. Even if they keep the 32-year-old through the season, he’ll land on several teams’ radars in free agency during the winter.
    Teams with interest in Roark are no doubt aware of his blemishes, though those issues shouldn’t deter the Reds from finding a taker for him if they try to before the deadline. Roark’s near the top of the league when it comes to curve spin rate (80th percentile), so he could land with an organization which encourages him to utilize that pitch more. Regardless, for clubs that aren’t in position to win bidding wars for more hyped trade candidates such as Bumgarner, Wheeler, Matthew Boyd and Marcus Stroman, among others, Roark will hold appeal.
    Obviously we'll have a better of idea where things stand 4 weeks from now, but I do think that they will likely really need to flip Roark. Of course if there's a legitimate path to a winning season and playoff berth, keep him. If there isn't, if they are still several games underwater and several back in the division and it's just blind hope for a winning streak, he's the one guy above the others who needs to be moved. Because as the above mentions, the market for him should be pretty healthy (provided he continues to pitch well, not a guarantee but a decent likelihood).
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-04-2019),Rojo (07-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Candidate: Tanner Roark - MLB Trade Rumors

I figure the reds will botch this tradeline like they normally do and hold guys too long. If they do not trade guys just to win a few games it will be as a big mistake as the year of the all star game in Cincinnati where they did not start the rebuild when they needed to.

Since we've not seen Wood to Beatle to asses and since we don't have a great history of developing pitchers, why not look to resign?

Roark is a ML pitcher who throws lots of innings. Solid #3 or strong #4.

He goes, who pitches?

6. Likes:

757690 (07-04-2019),OGB (07-04-2019),Old school 1983 (07-04-2019),RED VAN HOT (07-04-2019),topsyt (07-04-2019)

Depending on when Wood is back (and their comfort with Sims as the sixth starter), I'd be fine with moving Roark-- as long as the return is good.

The Reds need some upper minors pitching, particularly starting pitching. They need just about everything in the low minors.

Low A MI Xavier Edwards and low A SP Joey Cantillo would be two solid, far-off targets the Pads would probably be fine to lose. Edwards is their 8th ranked prospect, but they have SS covered for the next decade or so. Cantillo, despite a very, very good half-season, is ranked 30th in their MLB-leading farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Depending on when Wood is back (and their comfort with Sims as the sixth starter), I'd be fine with moving Roark-- as long as the return is good.

The Reds need some upper minors pitching, particularly starting pitching. They need just about everything in the low minors.

Low A MI Xavier Edwards and low A SP Joey Cantillo would be two solid, far-off targets the Pads would probably be fine to lose. Edwards is their 8th ranked prospect, but they have SS covered for the next decade or so. Cantillo, despite a very, very good half-season, is ranked 30th in their MLB-leading farm.
    Padres are 16 games out in their division, Reds are 4.5 out in theirs. Yet this posits the Reds as sellers and the Pads as buyers. Always in favor of a good trade, but not sure why that is likely.

Alex Wood still has no timetable and Lucas Sims has a 5.24 ERA at AAA. If Reds sell on Roark, it’s becoming harder to see them having a replacement #3 starter in the wings.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-04-2019 at 11:07 AM.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-04-2019),Redeyecat (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Alex Wood still has no timetable and Lucas Sims has a 5.24 ERA at AAA. If Reds sell on Roark, it’s becoming harder to see them having a replacement #3 starter in the wings.
    If they sell Roark it's because the season at that point looks like a wash, why would it matter if there's a "#3 starter" or not? They've got 4 guys capable of finishing out the year well, at this hypothetical point the #5 is not terribly important.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4.5 games out.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus View Post
    Since we've not seen Wood to Beatle to asses and since we don't have a great history of developing pitchers, why not look to resign?

He goes, who pitches?
    Wood to Beatle to Asses sounds like a lesser-known double play combo than Tinker to Evers to Chance. Either that or the latest Straight-to-Video movie starring Rob Schneider.

14. Likes:

757690 (07-04-2019),Gallen5862 (07-04-2019),OGB (07-04-2019),Old school 1983 (07-04-2019),Roy Tucker (07-04-2019),Tom Servo (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    4.5 games out.
    Yeah about that. Given the state of the season, 5 games under .500, I'd ignore that and build for next season. No fire sale but judiciously moving a few parts that will be gone to FA. Roark being maybe the most pricey we can offer.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-04-2019)

All of the sudden, we've become incredibly thin in the pitching dept. between IL and underperforming minors. AND we are a better team overall the last month. Legit at 4.5 out, a little less in the WC. I'd rather have a conversation about how we go get some pitching and hold on Roark. We won't see Wood, wasted effort there. Garrett just hit the IL and we've strung out our bullpen already. HEY REDS, go get some pitching and keep us in this thing. This is as close as we've been at the break to competing in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yeah about that. Given the state of the season, 5 games under .500, I'd ignore that and build for next season. No fire sale but judiciously moving a few parts that will be gone to FA. Roark being maybe the most pricey we can offer.
    We're 4 games under .500 after last night and 3.5 back in the WC race. This team can compete with any of the teams in the NL Central.

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-04-2019),Redeyecat (07-04-2019),Redfaced (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus View Post

He goes, who pitches?
    It is a valid question? Unless Wood makes a surprise recovery, there are no good options. Trading Roark would be tantamount to folding your cards on this season. There is no quit in this team. They have had multiple opportunities to fade away, but they have come back repeatedly. I believe that to a man, everyone believes they have a chance to win this year. If I were a player for the Reds, I would feel betrayed by a trade of Roark as things stand now.

One more point...is everyone assuming that the Reds cannot sign Roark to an extension? Pitching depth is an issue in the organization. The FA market might not be so appealing to a pitcher who will be 33 next season. He may like it in Cincinnati and be receptive to a 2-3 year offer at a reasonable price.

21. Likes:

GAC (07-05-2019),Redeyecat (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    4 games under and +41.

The Reds can do this. No team in Central scares me.

23. Likes:

757690 (07-04-2019),Bob Sheed (07-04-2019),Edd Roush (07-04-2019),GAC (07-05-2019),JFLegal (07-04-2019),Old school 1983 (07-04-2019),Redeyecat (07-04-2019),RiverRat13 (07-04-2019),Tuff Nut (07-04-2019)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Redfaced View Post
    All of the sudden, we've become incredibly thin in the pitching dept. between IL and underperforming minors. AND we are a better team overall the last month. Legit at 4.5 out, a little less in the WC. I'd rather have a conversation about how we go get some pitching and hold on Roark. We won't see Wood, wasted effort there. Garrett just hit the IL and we've strung out our bullpen already. HEY REDS, go get some pitching and keep us in this thing. This is as close as we've been at the break to competing in a while.
    Alex Wood to begin rehab assignment in Louisville on Saturday.

25. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-04-2019),Gallen5862 (07-04-2019),JCM11 (07-04-2019),Redeyecat (07-04-2019),RiverRat13 (07-04-2019),Tuff Nut (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    4 games under and +41.

The Reds can do this. No team in Central scares me.
    I like the optimism. As I said in the first post, we’ve got about 4 weeks to make a decision on where we are and there’s a chance that could be at the top of the NL Central, but I think all options need to be on the table.

Turn Off Ads?