Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What will Votto's performance be for the last half of this year and next yeat?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Return to 2017 level

5 4.20%
  • Return to 2018 level

31 26.05%
  • Somewhere between current and 2018

55 46.22%
  • He is finished

28 23.53%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of Votto

Re: The future of Votto

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Confused why a #2 hitter needs to not play first base, is that an unwritten rule too?
    #2 hitter can play 1B. Leadoff hitter can be a 1B too like the Cardinals do with Matt Carpenter. The point here is that the 1B position has to produce on offense. Ditto for your #2 hitter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Who do you play instead of Votto if you bench him? At the end of the day he’s still getting on base 35% of the time this year and is batting in front of the middle of the lineup, so he’s providing RBI opps for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, so defensive. I’m just saying I seem to remember you arguing strongly against the use of WAR in the past. Just surprised you are using it to support your argument, that’s all.
    I use WAR all the time around here. It's one of many useful stats. I "thought" it was a valid stat to use on RZ. Again, do you feel it's not a good stat to use in this instance? If so then why not?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Who do you play instead of Votto if you bench him? At the end of the day he’s still getting on base 35% of the time this year and is batting in front of the middle of the lineup, so he’s providing RBI opps for them.
    With Scooter coming back there are all kinds of options. I'd suggest Dietrich as option #1. Bear in mind I'm not suggesting they "bench him" right now. I'm suggesting they give him more time off and move him down in the lineup and put Jose Iglesias #2.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Confused why a #2 hitter needs to not play first base, is that an unwritten rule too?
    Yes, the 1B must be an offensive masher in the vein of Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, and Hank Greenberg.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    With Scooter coming back there are all kinds of options. I'd suggest Dietrich as option #1. Bear in mind I'm not suggesting they "bench him" right now. I'm suggesting they give him more time off and move him down in the lineup and put Jose Iglesias #2.
    Why would we put someone in front of the middle of the lineup that doesn’t get on base as often as the person he is replacing?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

fondfoat (06-27-2019),Number_Fourteen (06-23-2019)

Why would we put someone in front of the middle of the lineup that doesn’t get on base as often as the person he is replacing?
    because I'm looking at more stats than OBP. I don't solely base my batting lineup decisions on one stat. I see you look at Votto's OBP of .347 and Iglesias' of .336 and decide "hey my #2 hitter is Votto." Know what the difference is between .347 and .336 in terms of getting on base for Iglesias? About 3 walks...I'll accept 3 less walks over a 70 game span and prefer to get the increased batting avg and power that Iglesias is giving me.

because I'm looking at more stats than OBP. I don't solely base my batting lineup decisions on one stat. I see you look at Votto's OBP of .347 and Iglesias' of .336 and decide "hey my #2 hitter is Votto." Know what the difference is between .347 and .336 in terms of getting on base for Iglesias? About 3 walks...I'll accept 3 less walks over a 70 game span and prefer to get the increased batting avg and power that Iglesias is giving me.
    No, I’m also referring to the fact Votto has a career .424 OBP and Iglesias career .317. The 2 hole is a spot in the lineup right before the middle of the order, I prefer a batter to be in that spot that has a higher likelihood of getting on base to increase RBI opportunities for the middle of the order.

9. Likes:

GAC (06-24-2019)

Votto always has a high BABIP and he's been able to sustain that above age 30, that's rare. This year it's down 30 points from his typical year. I hold out that he might be able to gain some hit luck close to his historical numbers and maybe he would have an .800 OPS. He usually has a better 2nd half - maybe that pushes him to .800. I could live with a 2.5 WAR. If his back is healthy -you let it ride and hope things improve the 2nd half. He's already earned that contract if he does nothing for the next 6 years. He's my favorite player of all time --i have a bias.

11. Likes:

Stingray (12-07-2019)

We're closing in on half the season and his bWAR is 0.1. He's a replacement player. That's piss poor and sad. A #2 hitter in the lineup playing 1B. We're trying to get this offense off the ground. I think we'll continue to be frustrated if he doesn't pick it up
    oh word?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-23-2019)

Votto 3-3 with a home run and 3 RBI so far today. OPS up to .761.

He apparently read my post from this morning and said “hold my fancy coffee.”

No, I’m also referring to the fact Votto has a career .424 OBP and Iglesias career .317. The 2 hole is a spot in the lineup right before the middle of the order, I prefer a batter to be in that spot that has a higher likelihood of getting on base to increase RBI opportunities for the middle of the order.
    Rod Carew had a .393 OBP but I don't want him hitting #2 in 2019. We're talking today, not yesterday. Do you really have to resort to Votto's career in order to make a case for him today? Have you noticed that he's not the player he's been his entire career? If the answer's no then we got bigger issues to discuss.

Quite frankly, generously speaking, Joey Votto today is Felix Millan in his prime. I know he's before your time but he was a punch and judy slap hitter that choked up enormously on the bat. I know you like OBP so his prime yrs OBP rivaled Votto's this yr. He walked less than Votto but he struck out a lot less and had WAR numbers much better than Votto's 0.1, so I'll be generous and say that Millan in his prime is about what Votto's giving us now.

Votto's had a huge decline in his skills this yr. Here's what he is nowadays:

He still has a very good eye at the plate. His bat has lost a lot of bat speed. he's still quite adept at fouling balls off. This skill combined with his batting eye means that he can often make a pitcher work to the point that he'll accumulate 4 balls in the life of an AB. Yes he will draw an above avg amount of walks. But he's also on pace to strike out twice as often as he walks and his power has evaporated

Rod Carew had a .393 OBP but I don't want him hitting #2 in 2019. We're talking today, not yesterday. Do you really have to resort to Votto's career in order to make a case for him today? Have you noticed that he's not the player he's been his entire career? If the answer's no then we got bigger issues to discuss.

Quite frankly, generously speaking, Joey Votto today is Felix Millan in his prime. I know he's before your time but he was a punch and judy slap hitter that choked up enormously on the bat. I know you like OBP so his prime yrs OBP rivaled Votto's this yr. He walked less than Votto but he struck out a lot less and had WAR numbers much better than Votto's 0.1, so I'll be generous and say that Millan in his prime is about what Votto's giving us now.

Votto's had a huge decline in his skills this yr. Here's what he is nowadays:

He still has a very good eye at the plate. His bat has lost a lot of bat speed. he's still quite adept at fouling balls off. This skill combined with his batting eye means that he can often make a pitcher work to the point that he'll accumulate 4 balls in the life of an AB. Yes he will draw an above avg amount of walks. But he's also on pace to strike out twice as often as he walks and his power has evaporated
    Felix Milan only had an OPS over .700 once in his career (.732) - Votto, in a down year has a .761 OPS.

Can’t really take you seriously when you say stuff like the above. Nonsense.

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-25-2019),fondfoat (06-27-2019),GAC (06-24-2019)

Felix Milan only had an OPS over .700 once in his career (.732) - Votto, in a down year has a .761 OPS.

Can’t really take you seriously when you say stuff like the above. Nonsense.
    First of all I'm discussing Votto THIS year and Millan at his peak. I'm NOT comparing their entire body of work. Did you not read this in my post?...

Joey Votto today is Felix Millan in his prime.
    You wanna talk OPS now? I thought you loved OBP? If you love OPS and it's your end all, fine. Joey's on pace to be marginally better than Millan in his .732 yr. But if you're willing to expand your mind to include more than OPS, like say, bWAR, then Millan was far better than Joey's 0.1, in several seasons. I'm not here to say that Millan was better but it's close enough to warrant a discussion.

First of all I'm discussing Votto THIS year and Millan at his peak. I'm NOT comparing their entire body of work. Did you not read this in my post?...

You wanna talk OPS now? I thought you loved OBP? If you love OPS and it's your end all, fine. Joey's on pace to be marginally better than Millan in his .732 yr. But if you're willing to expand your mind to include more than OPS, like say, bWAR, then Millan was far better than Joey's 0.1, in several seasons. I'm not here to say that Millan was better but it's close enough to warrant a discussion.
    Shouldnt we wait til the end of the season to see what Votos numbers look like?
    Crazy Reds Fan

A players prime is only their best season to you? Loved Obp? Love ops and it’s end all? What are you talking about?

Why would you compare a half a season of a player’s WAR to a full season of another player?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Shouldnt we wait til the end of the season to see what Votos numbers look like?
    Of course more info is always preferable but we're baseball fans and it's OK to discuss performances during the season with the caveat that things may change as more information comes in. That's why I generally preference my comments with the phrase "as of today".

Turn Off Ads?