Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Senzel's Power?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: What Happened to Senzel's Power?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Stubbs was better than we want to remover. He put up a very respectable 8.5 bWAR over his career. Senzel would have to have put up 17 bWAR for you to win your bet, which is a high mark. For reference, Suarez currently is at 11 bWAR for his career. You might want to hope no one takes you up on that bet.
    That's 2 WAR per year for a decade. Not unreasonable for a player with Stubbs-like skill. Lol
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stubbs was better than we want to remover. He put up a very respectable 8.5 bWAR over his career. Senzel would have to have put up 17 bWAR for you to win your bet, which is a high mark. For reference, Suarez currently is at 11 bWAR for his career. You might want to hope no one takes you up on that bet.
    It's a fairly easy bet to make, actually.

If healthy, Senzel will be a doubles machine. He will eventually move to a position that will provide him with superior defensive numbers (and, I suspect, we'll eventually be able to better gauge the defensive impact-- or lack thereof-- in players like Stubbs). Too, his power has yet to fully blossom, and, as he matures, Senzel will get respect from both SP and umpires on borderline calls and approach. He's a willing and patient hitter. That, in turn, will improve his numbers.

The key, of course, is health.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That's 2 WAR per year for a decade. Not unreasonable for a player with Stubbs-like skill. Lol
    The list of MLB player who have been productive for a decade is quite short.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

Kinsm (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's a fairly easy bet to make, actually.

If healthy, Senzel will be a doubles machine. He will eventually move to a position that will provide him with superior defensive numbers (and, I suspect, we'll eventually be able to better gauge the defensive impact-- or lack thereof-- in players like Stubbs). Too, his power has yet to fully blossom, and, as he matures, Senzel will get respect from both SP and umpires on borderline calls and approach. He's a willing and patient hitter. That, in turn, will improve his numbers.

The key, of course, is health.
    Agree with all of this, but health has been a major issue for Senzel his entire professional career. And MLB history is filled with highly talented players who has short careers for a variety of reasons.

I’d say odds are good Senzel will be better than Stubbs. Twice as good? Not so much.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The list of MLB player who have been productive for a decade is quite short.
    Yes. And I fully expect Senzel to be part of that group, barring injury.

As just one comp, Anthony Rendon has 6 years service time, and 23.6 bWAR.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yes. And I fully expect Senzel to be part of that group, barring injury.

As just one comp, Anthony Rendon has 6 years service time, and 23.6 bWAR.
    Betting on any rookie to be one of the best players in baseball is not a bet I would make. As a Reds fan, I hope you win your bet.

10. Likes:

Kinsm (06-22-2019)

Out of the lineup with a “migraine.”

The reds are seriously cursed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Suarez is also currently 27 years old. He will likely pass 17 bWAR by 30.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Suarez is also currently 27 years old. He will likely pass 17 bWAR by 30.
    Not if he continues to produce as he is this season. He’s on pace for just 1 bWAR this season.

Not if he continues to produce as he is this season. He’s on pace for just 1 bWAR this season.
    Huh?

He's only had 172 ABs and just under 200 PAs so far this season. Projected for a full-time roles playing exactly as many innings/ games as he has so far since being called up, Senzel projects somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 bWAR this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Huh?

He's only had 172 ABs and just under 200 PAs so far this season. Projected for a full-time roles playing exactly as many innings/ games as he has so far since being called up, Senzel projects somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 bWAR this season.
    Talking about Suarez

Encouraging news from Nightengale Twitter:

David Bell says Nick Senzel is feeling better and he anticipates he will be available off the bench today. #Reds

17. Likes:

DocRed (06-22-2019),ochoa30 (06-22-2019),RiverRat13 (06-22-2019),Ron Madden (06-22-2019)

You realize he’s batting like .150 since he was hit on the hand by the pirates on May 29th, right? He was playing very well before that.

But, if you want to say Suarez is bad now because of 1 injury induced month long slump, have fun with that.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You realize he’s batting like .150 since he was hit on the hand by the pirates on May 29th, right? He was playing very well before that.

But, if you want to say Suarez is bad now because of 1 injury induced month long slump, have fun with that.
    What I’m saying is:

1. He will have to play better than he currently is.

2. We can’t assume he will continue to produce at the same level he has been producing these last two seasons. For a multitude of reasons. Health being a primary one.

Just to put this into perspective, there only were 51 MLB position players who produced 15 or more WAR in the five year stretch of 2014-18. We are talking about the elite here.

Turn Off Ads?