Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

Re: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Bako???

The point is all players have hot streaks, but they usually end up close to their career numbers. I see a lot of regression in DD’s numbers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

GAC (05-26-2019),wlf WV (05-26-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Wrong thread
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t see any relevance to the fact that Gennett was waived by the Brewers. As a Red he has hit over .300 and over .850 OPS in 1,135 PAs.
    True. And in three years as the starter in Milwaukee (2014-16) he never came close to sniffing those numbers. What's the explanation? Other then the Brewers maybe making a mistake, GABP? They also parted ways with Segura, and their replacements at SS and 2B have not met expectations, while Gennett and Segura became All-Stars.

It's somewhat perplexing to me why Milwaukee released him, while I saw no efforts to try and trade him? No market? Don't know.

My approach to Gennett is not present (what you've done for me) as much as it is future (moving forward). He's soon-to-be 30, a free agent looking to capitalize on two solid seasons with the Reds. So the question is - would you pay him? Similar players, and the market, show a 2-3 yr deal, modest contract. I could go with that. Anything more, and he simply walks.

But I don't know if the Reds are really interested in him at present. Sure haven't shown it. And why not after two productive years?

Dietrich has a $2 million major league contract. He was signed to a minor league deal, but he made the team. He’s an arbitration eligible Red for 2020.
    Again, a nice ST pick-up. IMO, a solid utility player to have on the bench.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    DD in left and JW in center would put pressure on your pitchers. Would need a ton of ground balls and Ks to survive that.
    Would still be better D then Winker in CF with Kemp in left.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Since his return is imminent (probably 3 weeks or so), I thought it would be interesting to explore what will happen once he's back.

Moving Peraza back to SS and trading Iglesias seems like a Reds move. So, there's my idea, even if I don't like it.

Changed the title to what you think "SHOULD" happen
    Trade both Iglesias and Scooter, DD is still under contract next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Since his return is imminent (probably 3 weeks or so), I thought it would be interesting to explore what will happen once he's back.

Moving Peraza back to SS and trading Iglesias seems like a Reds move. So, there's my idea, even if I don't like it.

Changed the title to what you think "SHOULD" happen
    I'd love if they can sign Iglesias on a 2-3 year deal, but he just changed agents presumably because his last agent only got him a minor league deal and the Reds are playing him. He's probably looking for a hefty paycheck. It'll unclear what kind of money he wants at this point, but I seriously doubt he'll wanting another minor league deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Trade both Iglesias and Scooter, DD is still under contract next year.
    Trade for who exactly? And who is going to trade for a partial season for anyone worth keeping? DD can hit HR's, but his defense isn't spectacular and he's only hitting at a .240 BA.. Sounds like you're in favor of trading a Corvette for a Chevette..

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Trade for who exactly? And who is going to trade for a partial season for anyone worth keeping? DD can hit HR's, but his defense isn't spectacular and he's only hitting at a .240 BA.. Sounds like you're in favor of trading a Corvette for a Chevette..
    I don't think you understood the comment.

Scooter and Iglesias are somewhat similar situations IMO .... would it be accurate to say they were somewhere around league average players who were fortunate, easy pick-ups for the Reds? And in the short time they've been here they were a huge surprise, and have greatly contributed in the short times they have been here. No doubt. But are now pending FA's.

IMO, the Reds will not sign both. And I think we'll see Iglesias in a Red's uni next year. Why? Whose our SS next year and going forward? What do we have in the farms? Garcia is the closest and a couple years away according to most projections. Rodriquez may be a utility player at best. So yeah, IMO, the Reds are kinda in a spot when it comes to SS moving forward.

And do not mention Peraza in this discussion (LOL). Maybe he'll be like Scooter or Iglesias and a light will click on when he's 27-28. Anyone willing to put up with this BS for the next few years while we hope that occurs? IMO, he's no more, at best, then what he is doing - a utility player sitting on the bench.

I already mentioned it prior, but when it comes to the SS position, the primary objective is solid middle defense. Very vital to the team. If you have that - and we do with Iglesias - the bat is an added "benefit". He's never won a GG (stiff competition), but has been a finalist. And from a defensive matrix standpoint the numbers are there.

The question is What? Or more importantly, what does the market say he's worth? Honestly? Not much. Look at a similar player (SS) like Hechavarria who has been bounced around all over the place. So while there is a sucker born every minute, IMO, players like Iglesias and Scooter who think they're gonna score big, are going to be disappointed. But that could play into the Red's hands too.

But I'd go for a three year deal, modest contract, with Iglesias. It gives us time with Garcia, to see if that's going to happen. Or you can let him walk and attempt to find another "Iglesias" cheap somewhere that a team DFA'd or whatever (LOL). I just want a strong defender at SS. Iglesias' career slash line is ... .272 .316 .367 .683. You give me that along with that defense and I'll settle for that until something better can be found.

I'd do a 3/15 deal for Iglesias, and a 3/30 deal for Scooter, and put a team buy out option on the third year of each deal.

He has an .850 OPS his first 30 days.

That's what I think should happen.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

RedsManRick (05-27-2019)

What do I think should happen when Scooter comes back? We will start winning more.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

foster15 (05-27-2019),Kingspoint (05-27-2019)

Scooter needs to play everyday to establish he's healthy and deserving of something of value in a trade.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

DocRed (06-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Scooter needs to play everyday to establish he's healthy and deserving of something of value in a trade.
    Shine him up, ship him out.
    Go Gators!

Will never understand RedsZone’s ambivalence about Scooter Gennett.

All he’s done for two years is perform at a high level.

If he demands too much, sure let him go, but so far he seems to want to stay.

We’ll see what the Reds think and do, maybe they agree, but it’s hard for me to see them improving because they trade Scooter.

22. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-27-2019),Kingspoint (05-27-2019)

Turn Off Ads?