Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Playing a variety of positions all across the field isn't benching him.

And having a mid 800 OPS bat available every day across seven positions (with others switching positions) is incredibly valuable.
    There’s not really much of anywhere else he can/should play though. Maybe LF, but I don’t like sitting Winker that often and they can’t platoon obviously. And Joey is starting to come around too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    There’s not really much of anywhere else he can/should play though. Maybe LF, but I don’t like sitting Winker that often and they can’t platoon obviously. And Joey is starting to come around too.
    They could sit puig vs righties once in a while. I'm like you though I think Dietrich needs to play a ton against right-handed pitching. I also believe scooter is going to need a lot of days off when he first comes back that's pretty serious injury he had
    Crazy Reds Fan

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    They could sit puig vs righties once in a while. I'm like you though I think Dietrich needs to play a ton against right-handed pitching. I also believe scooter is going to need a lot of days off when he first comes back that's pretty serious injury he had
    Yeah I think ultimately the idea will be, work Scooter back in slowly, play Dietrich where guys need a day off or are scuffling otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Scooter won't be scootering much when he comes back from the groin strain.
    And a groin injury of that severity, plus his age and the demand of the position, concerns me.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-29-2019),Ron Madden (05-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And a groin injury of that severity, plus his age and the demand of the position, concerns me.
    Dietrich is older than Scooter, as an aside. Might be relevant to this dicussion. Might seem otherwise because DD came to Reds later.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-29-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Dietrich has one more year of arbitration.

Casey Stengel the hell out of the lineup

Peraza, Dietrich and Scooter can all play multiple positions (somewhat in some cases) mix and match, flip and switch.

Scooter will take the Ervins or Van Meters spot, how he is used is all on the Reds. Both he and Dietrich are FA after the year, Dietrich can barely field adequately anywhere, Scooter is going to make Winker look fast when he comes back.

What should they do?

Mix and match and not worry about guys complaining that they are mixing and matching
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Dietrich is older than Scooter, as an aside. Might be relevant to this dicussion. Might seem otherwise because DD came to Reds later.
    Both players are 29.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I don’t know what will happen when Scooter returns but it seems these things have a way of working themselves out.

I agree with GAC and WOY this type of injury could slow Scooter down a bit, he’s gotta be careful to not aggravate the injury.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-30-2019 at 02:36 AM.

10. Likes:

DocRed (06-01-2019),HokieRed (05-30-2019),Revering4Blue (05-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    DD turns 30 this July. Scooter next May. And age is relevant to the discussion. I also brought up DD's, as well as Iglesias' earlier.

If I had to choose, straight-up, between Scooter and Dietrich ..... I'd take Scooter handily. Both player's "situations" with their former teams, and how they were handled, was very similar. And their careers there had there ups and downs, and from a numbers aspect? - a couple of average ballplayers (.700+ OPS).

Personally, GABP has greatly helped these two players (and Iglesias) IMO.

Yeah, Dietrich's hot. But some act like we snatched him up, when we did not. Before DFA'ing him, Miami tried to trade him, involve him in some sort of package, and couldn't do it. They released him in November, we signed him in Feb. It was a good pick-up, no doubt. Cheap. Versatile. A solid utility player IMO. But he's under our control next season, so the Reds will just watch and observe, no rush.

They raised the payroll around $25M this season. Is '19 all a ruse to simply put butts in the seats? Are they really serious and committed? A burning question with all Red's fans right now (seeing the progress). IMO, this season is, or should/could be, the turning point for this team depending on some very key decisions that have to be made with all these FA's .... Scooter, Iglesias, Puig, Wood, Roarke. Then you have your arb cases to sort out, as well as some BP arms. IMO, they aren't going to do a salary dump; but they are going to do some shuffling, and pinpoint specific roles that need to be filled to get this team over the hump, to take that shot. Subtraction and addition. Retaining and building on the quality we have, while shoring up weaknesses.

And they can do it with proper evaluation and spending money wisely. IMO, this up-coming off-season is going to tell the fans whether this FO is serious or not, know what they're doing, or just jerking our chains.

After the way this pitching staff has performed, been the rock that has kept us afloat while the offense has struggled to find itself, I hope this FO takes note of that. Pitching has to be the top priority going into '20 IMO. We have some in our system, while the FA class for SP's appears to be strong going into next season. They can't let up here.

When I look at that list of FA's and others? ... I really have no idea who they are going to pursue, who fits their plan? LOL

Pitchers aside. I do see them pursuing SS Iglesias, and for the reason(s) mentioned earlier - strong, defense up the middle. That's the key objective in the SS position. Bat is a plus, but secondary. But I wouldn't over-spend on him either because slick-fielding, average bat SS's litter the market. But if you think you've found one that "fits", make an effort to retain it.

Browsing around the 'net and reading various sport's editorials yesterday - and I apologize for not saving the links; but I didn't take their "opinion" seriously - a couple said that Senzel will be moved to 2B in '20. He's capable of playing CFer, and that's where the Reds have him; but his natural "home" is the INF, and Trammell will be the CFer due to his athleticism/natural ability, and OF is his position. Problem - Trammel, while athletic, has a below average arm, and projects as a corner OFer (which is why i could see Puig as expendable).
    Last edited by GAC; 05-30-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-30-2019),RiverfrontRed (05-31-2019)

Scooter wont resign as a Red so you need to trade him as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Scooter wont resign as a Red so you need to trade him as soon as you can.
    Why not? Scooter is a good player but it's not like he is going to command some type of contract that a team like the Reds can't afford. And I would argue we will have a need there.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Every generation has a couple Geronimo Berroa's show up now and then
    There's a name that I almost forgot. 0.929 OPS for Cincinnati's AAA team (Nashville) at age 27. The year before, he OPSed 0.898 for Cleveland's AAA team.

Why did it take him two more years to get a real shot with Oakland?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    Why not? Scooter is a good player but it's not like he is going to command some type of contract that a team like the Reds can't afford. And I would argue we will have a need there.
    He tried to work on contract extension, Reds said no, he is salty, hes not coming back to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    There's a name that I almost forgot. 0.929 OPS for Cincinnati's AAA team (Nashville) at age 27. The year before, he OPSed 0.898 for Cleveland's AAA team.

Why did it take him two more years to get a real shot with Oakland?
    I think he’s a good case as a juicer, right era, right profile.

I think he also had a frying pan for a glove

18. Likes:

Big Klu (05-31-2019),OGB (05-31-2019)

I think he’s a good case as a juicer, right era, right profile.

I think he also had a frying pan for a glove
    Yeah, his best defensive position was DH.

It wasn't until he got to Oakland (the BALCO neighborhood) that he took off. And as soon as he left Oakland, he turned back into a pumpkin.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    He tried to work on contract extension, Reds said no, he is salty, hes not coming back to the Reds.
    You never know, say he comes back and keys the playoff run, the Reds will bend over and give him a foolish deal.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?