Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

Re: What do you think SHOULD happen when Scooter comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You guys are pretty much nailing it as far as what will happen once Scooter returns. He'll be our 2Bman. Dietrich and Peraza can play 2B when needed, as well as the OF. The only one, IMO, that should be a rock in the OF - other then an occasional day off - is Senzel. But you can bet your bottom dollar that Bell is going to utilize the rest according to match-ups, how they hit R-L. And have no issues with that if it cuts down on watching Puig vs Righties (LOL).
    Yes, the MLBTR blurb on Gennett from last night recaps all this, including mention of the possibility Puig could go at by the deadline. It’s a pretty good summary, which reaches all the same conclusions as this thread.

Seems like Gennett is still several weeks away, so the issue is not imminent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

“Obviously, Scooter is going to be playing. But at the same time, Dietrich has become a big part of our offense,” Bell said. The good thing with Derek is that he can play other positions. He can play the outfield, first base, third base. We haven’t seen him play much third or the outfield, but there will be ways to make it happen. We’ll have to. The way Derek is swinging the bat, he’s become a big part of the offense.

It was pointed out that the Cubs found ways to mix and match players in multiple positions and had 10 players reach at least 400 plate appearances last season. Bell was the third-base coach for Cubs manager Joe Maddon in 2013 and worked often against him as a Cardinals coach from '14-17.

“Watching how Joe Maddon does that with their team helped me realize how possible it was to get more than just the regular eight guys and make it to where 10 or so are everyday players in a way,” Bell said. “I think it is a trend, but in today’s game, there’s an importance to keeping guys healthy and being able to maximize your players each day. I think it makes a lot of sense. I like having the versatility. It just works itself out.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/scoote...all-activities
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.

4. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes, the MLBTR blurb on Gennett from last night recaps all this, including mention of the possibility Puig could go at by the deadline. It’s a pretty good summary, which reaches all the same conclusions as this thread.

Seems like Gennett is still several weeks away, so the issue is not imminent.
    I think Puig is gone either way. Can the Reds, by the TD, finder a taker for Puig while getting some sort of return? That's the million dollar question IMO. The League, scouts, etc., all know the type of player Puig is. His career numbers are good. But sometimes you have to look past those numbers, and look at what it took to get from point A to point B. And Puig's "travels" have been filled with a lot of peaks and valleys. It's one of the reasons he was a source of frustration in LA. Heck of a defender (arm) in RF. But making almost $10M/year and a FA. And looking at his current slash line ... which certainly isn't helping his marketability prior to the TD ... the GABP factor has no affect of him (LOL).

Unless someone makes them an offer they can't refuse, I see Puig simply walking at season's end.

I think we'll see Trammell as one of the late-season call-ups, with a possible preview for '20.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-03-2019 at 04:33 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Move Dietrich to LF and DFA Winker.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Just like WOY said. You Casey Stengel mid 50s Yankees the heck out of the lineup by moving people in and out.
    Hurting some feelings along the way by maximizing the offensive potential out of a team that’s already a short bench to begin with. The lack of playing time is less when you always have a 3-4 man bench most of the time
    Cubs and Dodgers have been doing that for a few years. I agree.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by MR X View Post
    Move Dietrich to LF and DFA Winker.
    I'm not sure what DFA means the way you're using it, but you want to be careful; it also means Designate for Assignment and is often used to mean release a player. I'm assuming, though, that this is another IL thing.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?