Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton Tornados

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Dayton Tornados

This sounds really bad. Hearts out hoping everyone is safe and unharmed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

goreds2 (05-28-2019),North (05-28-2019),Redsfaithful (05-28-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Tornados

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This sounds really bad. Hearts out hoping everyone is safe and unharmed.
    So far, 1 known fatality, and 50 injured.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...NZvmtyj78jNaZN

My sister barely missed the damage.. Her and her husband living in Travelers motel up near I-75 in N Dayton.. She told me just about everything around them is pretty much ruined. It's not good.. I have other family members in the area nobody has heard from yet.. My ex and family are still in Dayton.. No word yet..

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    My sister barely missed the damage.. Her and her husband living in Travelers motel up near I-75 in N Dayton.. She told me just about everything around them is pretty much ruined. It's not good.. I have other family members in the area nobody has heard from yet.. My ex and family are still in Dayton.. No word yet..
    Praying...

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Looks like the biggest tornado missed my mom's house in Riverside by 50 yards. Yards. A couple of my cousins had trees down and minor damage. Thankfully none of my family were injured or worse.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

goreds2 (06-04-2019)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I was driving during the middle of this last night. Thankfully, I was headed further down south. I don't think it went any further south than Riverside/Beavercreek (a new Aldis on N. Fairfield Rd. in Beavercreek was pretty much destroyed). A coworker of mine had substantial damage to their home, but most people I've talked to are OK. It's the suburbs up north that took a big hit.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 05-28-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

The Brookville-Trotwood-Dayton-Beavercreek tornado was upgraded to an EF4.

In my entire life I've never seen an outbreak like this hit this close to home. I used to live in Huber Heights on a slab foundation.

The fact that only 1 confirmed casualty has been reported from this outbreak is incredible, especially considering this happened at night. Was it dumb luck or are the warning systems getting that much better?
    Last edited by The Operator; 06-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Also, I know Jamie Simpson has been getting made fun of about his rant on the air during the storm and while he may have got a little too animated, he was exactly right.

The idea of going on Facebook and social media to complain about missing a show as stupid and pointless as The Bachelorette while meteorologists are doing their job to warn people of impending life threatening danger is just mind boggling. The Bachelorette? That's more important than getting people to safety?

Hearing about that stuff makes me lose a little faith in humanity sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

In my entire life I've never seen an outbreak like this hit this close to home. I used to live in Huber Heights on a slab foundation.

The fact that only 1 confirmed casualty has been reported from this outbreak is incredible, especially considering this happened at night. Was it dumb luck or are the warning systems getting that much better?
    I think it's a combination of warning systems getting better, people being more educated, construction standards, and other things making survivability of these things easier.

13. Likes:

The Operator (06-01-2019)

Also, I know Jamie Simpson has been getting made fun of about his rant on the air during the storm and while he may have got a little too animated, he was exactly right.

The idea of going on Facebook and social media to complain about missing a show as stupid and pointless as The Bachelorette while meteorologists are doing their job to warn people of impending life threatening danger is just mind boggling. The Bachelorette? That's more important than getting people to safety?

Hearing about that stuff makes me lose a little faith in humanity sometimes.
    Amazing isn't it? Maybe instead of a weather guy breaking in, they'd rather have a tornado "interrupt" their TV viewing. It's not like it's going to be like this ...

The guy did his job.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

The Operator (06-02-2019)

I think if it had happened during the daytime, especially during rush hour, it would’ve been much worse. As bad as it is to be inside a house during a tornado, being outside is worse. I think it was a blessing that it happened when most people were home.

Turn Off Ads?