Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Went under knife again (Gall Bladder)

Went under knife again (Gall Bladder)

Getting old is a *****. Went from age 0 to age 62 with essentially no disease, no broken bones, no surgeries (except tonsils). From 62 to 68 however.... I walk into the Hospital now and they yell 'Norm!'.

Last Thursday about 3:30 in afternoon was driving home from store when started feeling queasy. By the wife got home at 5:30 I said we have to go to emergency room. I thought maybe it was heart attack. I was sweating so bad that they couldn't tape IVs to my arm.

As they poked and probed to see where the pain was, they would poke just below my breast-line and I'd wince a bit and they both said "Could be gall bladder". And it was. Big gallstone attack, solution for which is to remove gall bladder. They were going to do it Friday, but they said also pancreatitis and waited till Saturday afternoon.

So had laparoscopic surgery Sat afternoon and released Monday afternoon.

The recovery for this has been draining. I have almost zero energy.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Went under knife again (Gall Bladder)

Dude, getting old sucks. From everything I've heard, the gall bladder pain is very intense. I've had kidney stones and those are bad, but everyone tells me this is worse.

Glad you had it taken care of, and get better soon.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Getting old is a *****. Went from age 0 to age 62 with essentially no disease, no broken bones, no surgeries (except tonsils). From 62 to 68 however.... I walk into the Hospital now and they yell 'Norm!'.

Last Thursday about 3:30 in afternoon was driving home from store when started feeling queasy. By the wife got home at 5:30 I said we have to go to emergency room. I thought maybe it was heart attack. I was sweating so bad that they couldn't tape IVs to my arm.

As they poked and probed to see where the pain was, they would poke just below my breast-line and I'd wince a bit and they both said "Could be gall bladder". And it was. Big gallstone attack, solution for which is to remove gall bladder. They were going to do it Friday, but they said also pancreatitis and waited till Saturday afternoon.

So had laparoscopic surgery Sat afternoon and released Monday afternoon.

The recovery for this has been draining. I have almost zero energy.
    Jax, Gall Bladders are no joke, hope you get well soon.

PS word of advice dont fart........................if you do, you will understand why I said dont.

Got mine removed in... wow I cannot remember when. Pre 2008.

Hurt like hell then. They almost had to open me all the way up. Doctor said he hadn't seen anything like it. He called it gall gravel. Went misdiagnosed for years as gas.

stoopid doctors.

Jax, you are going to find that some foods are no longer easy, and I mean things you may have taken for granted. Avoid anything greasy or oily. Acid reflux becomes a problem. And swallowing too. So chew your food.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I had that done a few years ago. Didn't have any pain but I was real itchy and my urine was darker than normal. Saw the doc and they said I needed it taken out. The pain afterwards was no fun but no pain before so maybe they caught it early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm 12 days now. It cost me 20 lbs but luckily I had plenty to spare. I'm still about 20% of my normal slothic energy.

8. Likes:

Screwball (07-02-2019)

Helluva weight loss program. Best wishes in your recovery...

Sorry you had to go through that, Jax. 68 year old male isn't your typical lap choley patient, but at least you won't have to worry about this happening again . Did you say there was or wasn't pancreatitis?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I had that done a few years ago. Didn't have any pain but I was real itchy and my urine was darker than normal. Saw the doc and they said I needed it taken out. The pain afterwards was no fun but no pain before so maybe they caught it early.
    If the bile acids from the liver get backed up, they spill over into the bloodstream and eventually deposit in the skin, activating "itch receptors." Were you jaundiced?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and here's my attempt to cheer you up, Norm:

Name:  gall-bladder.png
Views: 232
Size:  128.0 KB

11. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2019)

I had pancreatitis but they decided it was because of the gallbladder. I'm eating normally now 5.5 weeks later but still not 100% back.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-03-2019),North (08-07-2019),Screwball (07-02-2019)

Just saw this and dropped in to see how you were doing. I had mine out about 7 years ago and still have issues with certain food, Pizza Hut Pizza in particular. The irony of that is that, after clicking on this topic, what ad shows up on the page? An ad for Pizza Hut Pizza.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-03-2019),JaxRed (07-03-2019),Kingspoint (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm 12 days now. It cost me 20 lbs but luckily I had plenty to spare. I'm still about 20% of my normal slothic energy.
    Patience is a Virtue.

Best of luck in the recovery, my Friend.

I've been whining to the Spouse about pulled this and pulled that. Can't afford this crap...she's 12+ years younger than me. Not going to be having her take care of me. Been waiting for a year for my shoulder to recover so I can clear trails with a volunteer group, but in the meantime, I've had a pulled groin two surgeries on the shoulder, foot issues on one foot after the doctor made a sole for both feet....the foot that didn't have a problem developed one from the doctor's device (I had asked, "why do I need one for that foot?"....to balance out with the other, he said...should have listened to myself, which is usually the best advice). Doctor's drive me up the wall. The one I used for the surgery basically said I was too old, so what's the point? I was 58! My shoulder was a total separation. He said to wait six months and see if you can live with it. Wasted six months of my life. I have insurance.).

Yes. Getting old sucks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    If the bile acids from the liver get backed up, they spill over into the bloodstream and eventually deposit in the skin, activating "itch receptors." Were you jaundiced?
    I don't think so.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Best wishes Jax! I hope this is at least allowing you some time to watch the Reds on TV.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?