Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft Class

Re: 2020 Draft Class

Really like Ed Howard as a prospect as well.

2. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    Really like Ed Howard as a prospect as well.
    Too soon for me to want the Reds to draft a guy with the last name Howard in the first round, LOL.

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-21-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Wouldn't mind Kjerstad. The Reds need to start thinking about drafting and maturing a replacement for Votto.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Wouldn't mind Kjerstad. The Reds need to start thinking about drafting and maturing a replacement for Votto.
    I like Blaze Jordan for this. His athleticism may lack but man the kid can hit.

I'm hoping for Detmers-LHP Louisville or Casey Martin-SS Arkansas

9. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (05-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    I like Blaze Jordan for this. His athleticism may lack but man the kid can hit.
    The YouTube sensation origin story is so lame though

I was looking at Keith Law's updated Mock Draft. He's now suggesting that Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas OFer, would fall to us. He's shown as a Junior. Why would any college junior decide to sign in this draft that will have depressed signing bonuses?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was looking at Keith Law's updated Mock Draft. He's now suggesting that Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas OFer, would fall to us. He's shown as a Junior. Why would any college junior decide to sign in this draft that will have depressed signing bonuses?
    The bonus money isn't depressed for guys being drafted. It's only for non-drafted guys. It may be deferred some....

I assume the new Reds drafting regime will pass on any HS hurlers as they did last year.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-04-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I assume the new Reds drafting regime will pass on any HS hurlers as they did last year.
    If Nick Bitsko is available, I'm okay with that gamble-- assuming they can also nab solid players in a deep draft. (And pay them.) Then again, I view the draft slightly differently than others.

Intriguing but I'd pass. I might be interested at 48 but apparently he'll be gone by then.

Some talk of Crow-Armstrong but he seems to be Siani. And we already have Siani. I'd rather see Austin Hendrick if we go HS bat.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

TRF (06-11-2020)

As for Kjerstad, BA says his power production may make the swings and misses palatable. That scares me. Hendrick is the HS bat mentioned the most for Reds. Tremendous upside but has not seen best HS competition. Veen won't be there at 12. Hassell may be a 'tweener with not enough power for a corner and not enough speed for center. If a HS bat, Hendrick might be best choice if available.

I favor a college pitcher as the best bet to get a major leaguer out of the pick. Detmers and Meyer will probably be gone. At least one of Cavalli, Wilcox, or Crochet in that order is likely to be there at 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If Nick Bitsko is available, I'm okay with that gamble-- assuming they can also nab solid players in a deep draft. (And pay them.) Then again, I view the draft slightly differently than others.
    I support this idea based on his name along. I'm willing to gamble on anyone named Nick Bitsko sight unseen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd like Crochet, Hassell, Howard, Hendrick in that order.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I support this idea based on his name along. I'm willing to gamble on anyone named Nick Bitsko sight unseen.
    Oh that might be interesting, getting him under the tutelage of Driveline to develop.

Here's some picks or rankings where the Reds select in this year's draft. These should just be used as guides to get familiar with the players...

Draftsite Mock Draft:

1 12 Austin Hendrick OF West Allegheny High School (HS-Pennsylvania)
    2 48 Gage Workman 3rd Arizona State
    2 65 Justin Wrobleski LHP State JC of Florida
    3 84 Hugh Fisher LHP Vanderbilt
    4 113 Zavier Warren SS Central Michigan
    5 143 Noah Skirrow RHP Liberty

MLB.com prospect ranking:

13 Austin Hendrick OF, West Allegheny (PA)
    48 Kevin Parada C, Loyola (CA)
    65 Corey Collins C, North Gwinnett (GA)
    84 Markevian Hence RHP, Watson Chapel (AR)
    113 Cayden Wallace 3B, Greenbrier (AR)
    143 Timmy Manning LHP, Cardinal Gibbons (FL)

Fangraphs big board:

12 Patrick Bailey C 21.0 6' 2" 192 S R North Carolina State
    48 Tanner Witt RHP 17.9 6' 5" 200 R R Episcopal HS TX Texas
    65 Alika Williams SS 21.2 6' 2" 180 R R Arizona State
    84 Jared Jones RHP 18.8 6' 2" 175 R R La Mirada HS CA Texas
    113 Rece Ritchey LHP 18.2 6' 4" 170 L L Huntingdon Area HS PA Virginia
    143 Josh Ekness RHP 18.3 6' 3" 200 R R The Woodlands HS TX Lamar University

And some other first round projections:

Keith Law: 12. Cincinnati Reds: Heston Kjerstad, OF, Arkansas
    The Sports Bank: 12) Reds, Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota
    Mymlbdraft.com: 12 Austin Hendrick Position: RF School: West Allegheny HS (PA)
    MLB.com: 12. Reds: Cade Cavalli, RHP, Oklahoma
    CBS.com: 12 OF Austin Hendrick, West Allegheny High School (Pennsylvania)
    Prospects365: 12 OF Zac Veen, Spruce Creek HS
    Baseball Prospect Journal: 12. Cincinnati Reds: Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee
    Baseball Prospect Journal: 48. Cincinnati Reds: Jordan Westburg, SS, Mississippi State

21. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2020),DocRed (06-05-2020),Edd Roush (06-05-2020),RED VAN HOT (06-05-2020),RiverRat13 (06-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?