Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft Class

Re: 2020 Draft Class

Detmers dominated East Carolina today for 7 innings other than a tape-measure HR surrendered to Boston Red fave Spencer Brickhouse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The first three names in BA's mock are Emerson Hancock, Spencer Torkelson, and Pete Crow-Armstrong. I personally do not believe that these are real names of real people.
    Sounds like a Monkees tribute band.

4. Likes:

BRM13 (12-31-2019),KronoRed (06-17-2019),marcshoe (11-17-2019),savafan (02-20-2020)

Mentioning only because there is no 2021 draft thread - Kumar Rocker tossed a no hitter with 19 strikeouts last night. He’s been inconsistent like a freshman this year, but improving over the course of the season.

6. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-09-2019),RiverRat13 (06-09-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLB Pipeline is out with a too-early mock:

Here's our early 2020 mock Draft

It's still 12 months away, but the 2020 Draft is shaping up to be the best since 2011, when the first 11 picks included Gerrit Cole, Trevor Bauer, Anthony Rendon, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez and George Springer. Mookie Betts and Kyle Hendricks were just two of several notable later-round steals.

After a 2019 Draft during which scouts bemoaned the lack of college pitchers worthy of the first round, there will be no such complaints next year. MLB Pipeline's top-rated 2020 prospect is Georgia right-hander Emerson Hancock, and two more college arms factor into our projections for the first 10 picks below. If we extended our way-too-early mock draft to 20, another half-dozen would have made it, including Auburn righty Tanner Burns, Louisville lefty Reid Detmers and a second Bulldogs righty in Cole Wilcox.
    8. Reds: Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
    The class of the 2020 catchers, Bailey is a switch-hitter with power from both sides of the plate as well as solid throwing, receiving and blocking skills.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Saw that mock a few days ago. I know a lot can change between then and now, but if the Reds ended up with Bailey, I think we should be thrilled.

As it stands now, if we can get someone out of the Bailey, Austin Martin, Dylan Crews, Garrett Mitchell, Heston Kjerstad, Pete Crow-Armstrong, JT Ginn, Tommy Mace, CJ Van Eyk, Carson Montgomery, Reid Detmers group, that seems like a good way to start a draft class somewhere in the 8-15 pick range.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Having sat in TD Ameritrade Park and watched Austin Martin hit two HRs yesterday (including one off Detmers), color me a believer in him at #3.

We are now 10th in 2020 MLB draft (just passed the Padres), could get as high as 6th if we continue to play this poorly.

I am not for tanking, but I do think it would be prudent to start looking at some of the potential 40 man candidates for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    We are now 10th in 2020 MLB draft (just passed the Padres), could get as high as 6th if we continue to play this poorly.
    I know others vehemently disagree, but I wouldn’t mind seeing us lose enough to get up to 6th. Sure it helps to instill a winning culture, but I’m not going to be watching many games over the next month and the difference between the 6th overall pick and the 12th can be very meaningful. Can’t say the same for a handful of September wins.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sure it helps to instill a winning culture, but I’m not going to be watching many games over the next month
    I'm not sure this is a very persuasive argument lol

The doormat days need to come to an end, for better or worse that phase is over. I also don't see how they possibly end up as high as 6 unless they have just an abysmal September and by far their worst month of the season.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm not sure this is a very persuasive argument lol

The doormat days need to come to an end, for better or worse that phase is over. I also don't see how they possibly end up as high as 6 unless they have just an abysmal September and by far their worst month of the season.
    I’m just saying, it doesn’t really matter if they go 10-20 in September or 20-10. It’s not like the latter instantly instills a winning culture, or the former makes it impossible for them to compete next year. Once you get to this point in the season, the only thing that really matters for the long run is having the right pieces in place and talent in the organization. It’s the same reason rosters expand and teams give minor leaguers extended tryouts this time of year. Like I said, I’m fully expecting most people on this board to disagree. It’s not the same as rooting for them to tank or be a doormat all year, I just think for one month it doesn’t make a difference on the overall culture, but it does make a difference in talent coming into the organization.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-28-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

DocRed (08-28-2019)

I rooted four years for Reds to get high draft position.

This year I root to win MLB games. They will still get a draft pick in the top half.

Fully consistent with that, I’d like Aquino, Van Meter, Senzel (obviously), Ervin, Kuhnel, Mahle (if healthy), and any similar young guys get playing time if they are potentially in 2020 plans.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-28-2019),RiverRat13 (08-29-2019)

Very intrigued by Reid Detmers, like that a lefty and is right in the Reds backyard. And a 0.89 WHIP as a sophomore is awfully impressive, so much so that I wonder if he'll even be there at #12.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLB Pipeline is out with their top 100 draft prospects for 2020

Reds I believe are slated to pick 12th. This is the 12th ranked prospect by MLB:

Heston Kjerstad | Rank: 12
    School: Arkansas Year: Junior
    Position: OF Age: 20 DOB: 2/12/1999
    Bats: L Throws: R Height: 6'3" Weight: 200 lb.
    Previously drafted: 2017, 36th (1083) - SEA

WATCH
    Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 60 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

A 36th-round pick by the Mariners as a Texas high schooler in 2017, Kjerstad teamed with fellow projected first-rounder Casey Martin to lead Arkansas to back-to-back College World Series appearances in their first two years of college. His 14 homers in 2018 broke the school freshman record of 13 set by eventual first-rounder Zack Cox in 2009, and Kjerstad encored with 17 as a sophomore. He offers the best left-handed power in the 2020 college class and only potential No. 1 overall pick Spencer Torkelson has more pop among collegians.

Kjerstad's strength and bat speed give him well above-average raw power to all fields. He has a complicated swing that features a big hand circle in his load, so he has to be precise with his timing to make it work -- but he has done so in college and was the top performer in the U.S. collegiate team's lineup last summer. He's an aggressive hitter who always will accumulate strikeouts as a tradeoff for his pop.

Though Kjerstad records well below-average running times out of the batter's box, he displays close to average speed once he gets going. He's not a threat on the bases but plays a capable right field. His huge power and solid arm strength fit the profile for the position.
    Josh Reddick strikes me as a comp here.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?