Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft Class

Re: 2020 Draft Class

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    MLB Pipeline is out with their top 100 draft prospects for 2020

Reds I believe are slated to pick 12th. This is the 12th ranked prospect by MLB:

3 to 1 SO/BB is a red flag

Josh Reddick strikes me as a comp here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The preseason rankings will fluctuate incredibly over the course of the year and I don't consider MLB Pipeline all that reliable. Asa Lacy is more around the teens in other rankings and should draw interest.

4. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-08-2019)

Ed Howard looks mighty interesting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

podgejeff_ (12-07-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-06-2019)

If we end up trading Tyler Stephenson we can just draft prep C Tyler Soderstrom and just tell people he started batting lefty.

8. Likes:

Benihana (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ed Howard looks mighty interesting.
    So does CF Pete Crow-Armstrong.

I like ASU SS Alika Williams as well.

From Kendall Rogers Twitter:

BREAKING: The 2020 #MLBDraft is moving from New Jersey to Omaha. The draft will be held Wednesday, June 10 through Friday, June 12, the eve of the @NCAACWS
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

JFLegal (02-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From Kendall Rogers Twitter:

BREAKING: The 2020 #MLBDraft is moving from New Jersey to Omaha. The draft will be held Wednesday, June 10 through Friday, June 12, the eve of the @NCAACWS
    I'm not sure this will generate more excitement for the MLB draft, but it's a good move and shows some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    So does CF Pete Crow-Armstrong.

I like ASU SS Alika Williams as well.
    I'd be looking to see if some power materializes for either of those guys.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Calling it now: Blaze Jordan will not be a top 10 pick. He's an amazing hitter. Truly. But he's 17 and is already 1B only? He's 17 and no longer has any physical projection left?

We're not talking about Bryce Harper here.
    Way I see it, if he comes off the board early than a name drops to us that wouldn't have been there.Drafting 12th seems like pretty cold comfort coming off of the season they just had. Possible upside? Since they probably won't be wpendinh $5-8M in 1st round bonus money, maybe they can make a splash elsewhere (a foriegn signing perhaps?.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-11-2019 at 06:10 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Tyler Soderstrom | Rank: 17
    School: Turlock (Calif.) HS Year: Senior
    Position: C Age: 18 DOB: 11/24/2001
    Bats: L Throws: R Height: 6'2" Weight: 190 lb.
    Commitment: UCLA

WATCH
    Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 40 | Overall: 50

Back in 1993, Steve Soderstrom was the No. 6 overall pick in the Draft out of Fresno State and pitched in the big leagues. Three years prior, he was a 15th-round pick out of Turlock High School in California. That's where his son, Tyler, currently plays and while he's not likely to go as high as his dad did out of college, a solid summer at events like the PDP League and Perfect Game All-American Classic have him firmly on the 2020 Draft map.

Soderstrom is an athletic, left-handed hitting catcher whose bat is ahead of his defense. At the plate, he's really polished with a solid overall approach and makes the kind of loud contact that makes people sit up and take notice when he's taking batting practice. He's a hitter first, but he will get to his power. He might be a tick above average as a runner, especially for a catcher, and has shown he has the athleticism to play third and even the outfield.

That could be important if teams feel he can't catch long-term. He's been the backup catcher on his high school team, mostly because the starter is a really good defender. Soderstrom's hands work and he has a very strong arm, but he is raw in terms of blocking and game management. A team taking him high will be betting that the UCLA recruit's mobility will be an asset and he can develop into an offensive-minded backstop in the big leagues.
    A bat first high school catcher who's expected to end up at first base, bats lefty but throws righty, and is a bit old for his class?

Seems rather serendipitous.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

https://twitter.com/robyounce/status...75438812184585

Rob Younce
    @robyounce

Disturbing trend I’m hearing with HS aged players - Travel coaches saying “If you leave our team, I’ll bad mouth you to all the colleges.” You people should be ashamed of yourselves!
    12:40pm · 16 Dec 2019
    This guy seems rather legit...
    Rob Younce
    @robyounce
    Big DMB guy | @baseballgca
    Coach | @TheCanesBB
    National Hitting Coach | USNA & ODU
    ⚾️
    alum |
    ��
    Mortgage Advisor
    Norfolk, VArobyounce.com
    Joined October 2008
    2,091 Following
    4,375 Followers
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Baseball America
    @BaseballAmerica

The bottom 5:

30. Reds
    29. Brewers
    28. Yankees
    27. Royals
    26. Phillies

http://buff.ly/2MJiZOm
    11:01am · 31 Dec 2019
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-in-the-2010s/

Fangraphs updated their draft board for 2020:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...000000000&pg=0

Reds pick 12, 48, 66, 86. Those correspondingly ranked players are:

12 Casey Martin SS 21.2 5' 11" 180 R R Arkansas
    48 Elijah Nunez CF 18.5 5' 9" 165 L L Martin HS TX
    66 Zach DeLoach CF 21.8 6' 2" 200 L R Texas A&M
    86 Ian Bedell RHP 20.8 6' 2" 198 R R Missouri

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Fangraphs has one 55 prospect (Martin), two 50s (Hancock and Torkelson), and 12 45+ prospects. Hopefully the Reds can find a 45+ type at 12.

There will certainly be a lot of movement between now and the time the Reds make their pick.

Reid Detmers on the hill for Louisville tonight vs. Ole Miss in Oxford.

Turn Off Ads?