Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft Class

Re: 2020 Draft Class

Cavalli will be an interesting guy to follow. Plus size, good velocity, and from what I read the metrics on his secondary offering are fine. But there is a disconnect in his skill set and his results.

https://soonersports.com/sports/base...boxscore/10863

This game against a good hitting Arkansas team illustrates it. 11 strikeouts and no walks in five innings is massive, yet he gave up three runs (two homers). 37 strikeouts and only 5 walks in 23.2 innings, but gave up more hits than innings pitched. Granted, he largely faced good teams early in the year (UVA, San Diego State, Arkansas).

For me, this is why you invest in Derek Johnson and Kyle Boddy. Cavalli has the raw materials to match nearly anyone in this draft. Can we elevate his performance to match?

Having typed all that, I suspect we take 19 year old HS OF Austin Hendrick.

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Mayo and Callis both have Reds taking Cade Cavalli in their final mock.

Don’t have a subscription so I’m curious who Law and McDaniel have in their final mocks?
    law:
    "Robert Hassell III, OF, Independence (Tenn.) HS

"Seems like the Reds are going hitter, with a mix that includes Kjerstad, Patrick Bailey, Soderstrom and Crow-Armstrong as well."
    mcdaniel:
    "Heston Kjerstad, RF, Arkansas: The Reds are looking for someone from the consensus top group to drop into their laps and Kjerstad does in this scenario. Pete Crow-Armstrong is probably the pick if Kjerstad isn't here. Abel is in the mix, as is Cavalli and Detmers if he slides."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Cavalli will be an interesting guy to follow. Plus size, good velocity, and from what I read the metrics on his secondary offering are fine. But there is a disconnect in his skill set and his results.

https://soonersports.com/sports/base...boxscore/10863

This game against a good hitting Arkansas team illustrates it. 11 strikeouts and no walks in five innings is massive, yet he gave up three runs (two homers). 37 strikeouts and only 5 walks in 23.2 innings, but gave up more hits than innings pitched. Granted, he largely faced good teams early in the year (UVA, San Diego State, Arkansas).

For me, this is why you invest in Derek Johnson and Kyle Boddy. Cavalli has the raw materials to match nearly anyone in this draft. Can we elevate his performance to match?

Having typed all that, I suspect we take 19 year old HS OF Austin Hendrick.
    reds had been linked to austin hendrick for weeks. but looks like his stock has dropped. law has him going 19th and mcdaniel has him going 22nd. he's not even listed as a possibility for the reds by either analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    reds had been linked to austin hendrick for weeks. but looks like his stock has dropped. law has him going 19th and mcdaniel has him going 22nd. he's not even listed as a possibility for the reds by either analyst.
    Good. The risk with him is too great for me. He would be value late first round, not where we are picking.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Good. The risk with him is too great for me. He would be value late first round, not where we are picking.
    i agree from what i've read. i don't know much about most of these guys. i do like the thought of getting a good college outfielder at pick #12, so heston kjerstad sounds good to me.

i agree from what i've read. i don't know much about most of these guys. i do like the thought of getting a good college outfielder at pick #12, so heston kjerstad sounds good to me.
    It doesn't seem like there's a ton of difference in the skillsets of Kjerstad and Hendrick. They're both big power future RFs with questionable hitting.

Law has the Reds selecting Hassell, a HS CF who projects as a 55 glove RF with a 60 hit tool, but average power. Jesse Winker with defense and some speed, basically.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-10-2020)

BA final mock has Reds taking Reid Detmers.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    It doesn't seem like there's a ton of difference in the skillsets of Kjerstad and Hendrick. They're both big power future RFs with questionable hitting.
    a big difference for me is one has proven he can mash playing in the best college baseball conference in the country, and the other is a high school kid who is a year too old for his grade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    BA final mock has Reds taking Reid Detmers.
    man, how nice would that be? getting high-ceiling high-floor left-handed pitchers two straight years in the draft.

I've seen one Mock draft with Meyers falling to us...fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I've seen one Mock draft with Meyers falling to us...fingers crossed.
    anyone reputable? because law (the athletic), mcdaniels (espn), and callis and mayo (mlb.com) all have meyer going #5 overall. no way he slips to 12.

anyone reputable? because law (the athletic), mcdaniels (espn), and callis and mayo (mlb.com) all have meyer going #5 overall. no way he slips to 12.
    If it was going to happen this would be the draft. Some weird stuff might happen tonight.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Benihana (06-10-2020),DocRed (06-10-2020)

Not really..some site named TheSportsBank.net , I only came across them from Googling MLB mock draft. Although three mock drafts have him going 8th and another 10th. Keith Law is one and had him #8 on 6/6 I don't have access to his final list though. I think it's unlikely but possible...

The only impossible players for the Reds would be Tork, Martin, Lacy, Veen and probably Gonzalez. Although I've seen Gonzalez as low as 7th. I think he could go #2 or 3 though. The guys is a friggin hitting machine.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-10-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If it was going to happen this would be the draft. Some weird stuff might happen tonight.
    Yep, there is a rumor that a team in the Top 10 might actually punt the draft. ie draft someone they have no intention of signing and get a comp pick next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...gnable-player/

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Yep, there is a rumor that a team in the Top 10 might actually punt the draft. ie draft someone they have no intention of signing and get a comp pick next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...gnable-player/
    Who are they going to pick- Jeremy Sowers?
    Go BLUE!!!

20. Likes:

M2 (06-10-2020),RedTeamGo! (06-10-2020),WrongVerb (06-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?