Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Puig thing so far is just a bummer because it's not like this was the Willy Taveras trade or something, some boneheaded move that was destined to fail. This has been more like a mini-version of the Griffey trade. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, yet so far it hasn't. Made perfect sense to take a shot on a charismatic guy with an infectious attitude who has performed like an MVP in the past and has settled in to being an above average bat and bring him to a hitter friendly park. Even had his hitting coach around too just to be safe.

But if the Reds had still done the Dodgers deal but then flipped Puig to someone like Cleveland, and then signed Adam Jones and put him in RF (or Avisail Garcia, with even better hindsight), they might very well have more wins right now. Kind of like if the Reds had kept Mike Cameron instead of shipping him to Seattle for Junior. Man plans and God laughs.
    I know it's bad luck but that Dodger trade was a waste of money and assets. they would have been better off just a release Homer Bailey
    Crazy Reds Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I know it's bad luck but that Dodger trade was a waste of money and assets. they would have been better off just a release Homer Bailey
    Depends on what Wood does, IF he makes it back.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Depends on what Wood does, IF he makes it back.
    By time he comes I'm sure it would matter for the season or a trade. Believe me I hope I'm wrong and I hope helps a lot. I really hope Puig but it's not looking good.
    Crazy Reds Fan

I don’t blame the Reds on the Bailey trade. It was something they had to try once the opportunity presented itself.

But acquiring one-year players isn’t the primary way to build the team. It’s hit or miss. One-year players can be good to put a club over the top, particularly at the deadline. But Reds need a stable core that will last a few years.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-07-2019 at 11:50 PM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t blame the Reds on the Bailey trade. It was something they had to try once the opportunity presented itself.

But acquiring one-year players isn’t the primary way to build the team. It’s hit or miss. One-year players can be good to put a club over the top, particularly at the deadline. But Reds need a stable core that will last a few years.
    Same. And, symbolically, it was important to make that attempt for the fan base. It may not pan out, but it was the right thing to do. I expect Puig to ultimately end up close to the back of his baseball card.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

There’s still a chance Wood and Puig can bring back prospects as good as Downs and Gray. Until then, I’m agnostic about this trade.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

It was a bad trade. A few of us knew it.
    What you describe is true, of a team that only needs a few pieces to get over the top. Not a team with more holes than not, 90 game losers 5 years in a row. It’s a shortcut to appease fans. It was stupid then and it looks worse now

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    What you describe is true, of a team that only needs a few pieces to get over the top. Not a team with more holes than not, 90 game losers 5 years in a row. It’s a shortcut to appease fans. It was stupid then and it looks worse now
    I used to think I was negative. Boy was I wrong LOL
    Crazy Reds Fan

10. Likes:

Alabama (06-08-2019),Chip R (06-11-2019),Roy Tucker (06-11-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It’s crazy, really seems like he’s going to have his worst ever season here. Like actual negative value.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    The Reds were never going to cut Bailey and eat $28 Million. I firmly believe that without the trade, he'd still be getting the ball every fifth day and because he would have been filling a spot, the Reds would have passed on one of the other moves to plug the rotation. Even as poorly as things have worked out, it was a good deal. They are getting more for the money they've invested than they would have had the deal not been made. Breaking that long term cycle of worst rotation in the world was an important step in turning things around. Even though they added short term guys in Roark and Wood, it was still worth it.

As for the longer term pieces, the Reds did receive a long term role player in the deal in Farmer and he's already put up more than I expect from the guys they dealt away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Mitri (06-08-2019),Revering4Blue (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    As for the longer term pieces, the Reds did receive a long term role player in the deal in Farmer and he's already put up more than I expect from the guys they dealt away.
    You really think Jeter Downs is going to create less than 0.4 war?
    Over the course of his career?
    Really?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

You have to be fair.

I was a huge critic of the Cueto/Chapman/Frazier trades at the time they were made, and time has proven me right.

I was a big fan of the Dodgers trade at the time it was made, and so far it hasn’t played out that way. That’s ok, I am fine with taking risks like that all day long, especially when we weren’t giving up top 5 prospects. No beef with the Dodgers trade, even if Puig doesn’t turn it around and Wood doesn’t come back. The risk was worth it at the time and not everything is gonna break your way.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    You really think Jeter Downs is going to create less than 0.4 war?
    Over the course of his career?
    Really?
    Not enough bat for 2nd base and not enough glove for SS. He might hang around as a bench guy, but I'd rather have Farmer. Gray is the one who might do something, but seeing the Reds record with young internally developed arms, I'd bet he wouldn't if he was still here, though maybe they could have dealt him for something better.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I have to admit I'm a little biased. I'm so happy they got rid of Homer Bailey I can't stand it. The ups and downs of this year have been frustrating but it's easily the best season since 2013. I couldn't take another year of Homer Bailey and his 6ish ERA anchoring the rotation. The Reds needed to move on from that farce and doing so was worth it IMO.

18. Likes:

Crumbley (06-08-2019),WrongVerb (06-08-2019)

Puig is a nice power hitter, and he reduces the opponent's slugging percentage just by standing in RF, but due to his nonexistent situational hitting ability he needs to bat 7th.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?