Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    For the month of June:

Puig: .300 .338 .657

Winker: .300 .407 .500

Votto: .279 .380 .500

That's more like it! Those guys do that in July, with Scotter's addition, and this team will be over .500 in August.
    Plus Senzel is at .830 ops this month despite very little luck with BAIP. Dietrich is fading with more PT so it's the perfect time for Scooter to get back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    OPS up to .747 now, seems likely to keep climbing.

Anyone who was insisting over the past few weeks that it was time for the Reds to move on from Puig care to weigh on?
    I didn’t say move him myself, I said if he’s not hitting by Scooter’s return Puig should play less. Glad he’s got it going. But this level of inconsistency is not what I want from my star outfielder. I can understand some of the frustration the Dodgers felt with this player.

Personally, I wouldn’t give him a major contract, I’d be looking for a more consistent hitter. Puig does nave great all around skills and tools, not denying that. Impressive athlete.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-24-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Perfect timing to trade him at the deadline for something shiny.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-03-2019),North (06-24-2019),Sea Ray (06-24-2019)

I'm used to a Reds RF having severe hot and cold streaks. Puig plays better defense, and runs the bases better than Bruce though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn’t give him a major contract, I’d be looking for a more consistent hitter.
    Agree 100%. Let's find a right fielder who can OPS .800+, or close to it, every month, not just the summer months.

Puig is still ‘aight.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

9. Likes:

Big Klu (07-02-2019),Chip R (07-03-2019),Ron Madden (07-02-2019),Tom Servo (07-02-2019)

Outside of his slow start, Puig has been everything you could have wanted in an OF addition.

Great defense
    Incredible baserunning
    Power
    Great teammate
    Fiery
    Charismatic
    Good in the community
    Hitting very well the last 2 months.

If he keeps it up, he's the complete package.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-02-2019),GAC (07-03-2019),Ironman92 (07-02-2019),marcshoe (07-02-2019),membengal (07-03-2019),Ron Madden (07-02-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm in the sign him camp. Can't think of any other realistic acquisition that would be a significant step up from him. Thinking 4/60 is a reasonable offer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

Benihana (07-02-2019),Big Klu (07-02-2019),marcshoe (07-02-2019),Ron Madden (07-02-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Anyone who was insisting over the past few weeks that it was time for the Reds to move on from Puig care to weigh on?
    Hmm nobody ever took me up on this, guess I imagined all those "it's time to release Puig to send a message" and "Puig can go now" posts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

membengal (07-03-2019),Ron Madden (07-02-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm in the sign him camp. Can't think of any other realistic acquisition that would be a significant step up from him. Thinking 4/60 is a reasonable offer.
    I shop him and see what we can get from another team. If nothing of value is offered then I at least give him a qualifying offer. I tip my cap to Puig and Votto. They've both turned it around

With tonight's game, Puig may have caught up with Billy Hamilton and crossed the 0.5 WAR threshold. Oops, I forgot. WAR doesn't account for fun.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-03-2019),Ron Madden (07-02-2019)

IF it was before free agency, Puig would be a legend, no one would want to lose him

He is a bag of what ifs and confirmed intangibles

20. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Outside of his slow start, Puig has been everything you could have wanted in an OF addition.

Great defense
    Incredible baserunning
    Power
    Great teammate
    Fiery
    Charismatic
    Good in the community
    Hitting very well the last 2 months.

If he keeps it up, he's the complete package.
    He certainly has done all of that but he also has a sub .300 OBP and it’s July. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He certainly has done all of that but he also has a sub .300 OBP and it’s July. Just sayin.
    True but that mostly goes back to the slow start. Having a .210 OBP after the first 30 games will do that, thankfully he's picked it up a lot since then.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

23. Likes:

OGB (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Another reminder that baseball used to be seen as something more than reaching base and hitting dingers

Which is essentially the apex of a good offense

25. Likes:

Crumbley (07-02-2019),cumberlandreds (07-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?