Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I shop him and see what we can get from another team. If nothing of value is offered then I at least give him a qualifying offer. I tip my cap to Puig and Votto. They've both turned it around
    I don’t think anyone else from the outside is going to value him greatly...I think you have to see him everyday with what he does.

I love him on this team

2. Turn Off Ads?

So....Reds have one of their most exciting wins of the year. Puig was a key factor with his extra inning hit and great baserunning...and there are Reds fans getting on here to argue against him?

Very confusing to me

4. Likes:

cr_redsfan (07-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Another reminder that baseball used to be seen as something more than reaching base and hitting dingers

Which is essentially the apex of a good offense
    I really enjoy Puig being on the reds, I just felt like pointing out it’s not all peaches and cream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    So....Reds have one of their most exciting wins of the year. Puig was a key factor with his extra inning hit and great baserunning...and there are Reds fans getting on here to argue against him?

Very confusing to me
    I love Puig, not arguing, just pointing out a fact.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2019),westofyou (07-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I really enjoy Puig being on the reds, I just felt like pointing out it’s not all peaches and cream.
    ??? You forgot how stupid he is

Votto has poor footwork, a below average stretch and is a poor baserunner....heck with the fact he’s coming on good at the plate and is the most prepared hitter anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    ??? You forgot how stupid he is

Votto has poor footwork, a below average stretch and is a poor baserunner....heck with the fact he’s coming on good at the plate and is the most prepared hitter anywhere
    Uh ok...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    True but that mostly goes back to the slow start. Having a .210 OBP after the first 30 games will do that, thankfully he's picked it up a lot since then.
    Yep. His .346 career OBP says that regression to the mean will be a good thing, most likely.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-03-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    True but that mostly goes back to the slow start. Having a .210 OBP after the first 30 games will do that, thankfully he's picked it up a lot since then.
    To back you up here, this is before tonight's game:

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
    Last 7 days 5 4 18 15 3 4 0 0 1 1 2 0 2 2 .267 .389 .467 .856
    Last 14 days 11 10 42 37 8 12 2 1 4 8 4 1 4 7 .324 .405 .757 1.162
    Last 28 days 21 20 82 75 12 24 5 1 6 12 6 1 5 16 .320 .378 .653 1.031

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 7/2/2019.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

OGB (07-03-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-03-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Not so 'stupid': Puig gives Reds walk-off win

Yasiel Puig saw his opening, took the risk and the Reds reaped the reward on Tuesday at Great American Ball Park.

A soft two-out single lofted by José Iglesias down the right-field line sent Puig from first to third base. Just as he was about to slow down, right fielder Christian Yelich’s throw to cut-off man Eric Thames took a hop and skipped off of his glove and trickled through the infield grass. An alert Puig sprinted for home and gave Cincinnati a thrilling 5-4 walk-off win in 11 innings with a headfirst slide ahead of catcher Yasmani Grandal’s desperation throw to the plate.

“I saw Yelich miss the cut-off man and the first baseman didn’t catch the ball. As soon as I saw [Grandal] going to the ball, I said ‘OK, let me try,’” Puig explained. “That’s things only myself can do, being Puig, being stupid sometimes like people call me. But some of the stupid things you do in baseball work for myself and work for the team.”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Big Klu (07-03-2019),CaiGuy (07-03-2019),cr_redsfan (07-03-2019),Edd Roush (07-03-2019),Ironman92 (07-03-2019),JFLegal (07-03-2019),Kilgore_Trout (07-03-2019),marcshoe (07-03-2019),membengal (07-03-2019),mth123 (07-03-2019),Norm Chortleton (07-03-2019),Number_Fourteen (07-03-2019),OGB (07-03-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-03-2019),The Operator (07-03-2019),Tom Servo (07-03-2019),TRF (07-03-2019),wally post (07-03-2019)

That was a fun ending to today's game. The hustle was really great to see.

I've been enjoying seeing Puig hitting the ball hard, and being aggressive on the base paths. He's been making some nice plays in the outfield as well. I like his efforts off the field, too.

I would like to see him in Cincinnati for a few years. He adds a lot to the team. I hope the Reds don't let him walk, but sign him to stick around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, I wondered about the word feckless. I thought it meant you didn’t have feck. But I’d never heard of the work feck (spell check is having a time with it).

So I found this. https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/feckless

“Did you know that most varieties of English are in fact “feck”-less? They don’t contain a word feck, only the negative counterpart feckless. The “feck” in feckless began as a short form of effect used in the Scots dialect. So feckless essentially means "ineffective," but is also used to describe someone who is irresponsible, incompetent, inept, or without purpose in life.”

So I learned something new today.
    Like we give a feck Roy! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He is a bag of what ifs and confirmed intangibles
    Exactly. Fire and water.

What's a guy with a rocket arm who licks his bat worth?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-03-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-03-2019)

I like Puig. He's a solid defender in RF. So was Bruce, but advantage Puig.

Here's Bruce, then Puig's, 162 game average at approximately the same age (29/28) ....

.249 .319 .470 .789

.275 .346 .476 .822

Bruce was gone because of inconsistency, extended hot and cold streaks, and money. They'd seen enough. Not worth any more investment financially. What you see is what you got with Bruce, and it wasn't going to get better but trend downward.

But who has been this team's staple at RF since Bruce? We had two season's of Schebler, which was good .... .244 .320 .461 .784 ... then he fell of a cliff.

Talking with a couple guys I know who are Dodger fans - they say you'll have a love-hate relationship with him (just like we did with Bruce) because of his ups and downs. He'll finish with an 800+ OPS, but the journey to get there is a roller coaster ride for the fans. A source of frustration, as well as joy and exuberance. An energetic, charismatic, fun player to watch (when he's on). An excellent defender (arm) in RF who always gives 110%.

So what is that worth considering that the only thing possibly close in the minors is Trammell for the most part. So what have we got? Let him walk and go into the market and find another suffice, cheap "filler"?

He's making almost $10M/year. How upset would fans be, at age 28 (in his prime), if they signed him to a similar BP contract (6 yrs/72M)?

I don't find that unreasonable if they were to do so.

After the game ....

“I like to play the way I play. Sometimes, it’s ridiculous and stupid but sometimes it works,” Puig said. “At that point if he throws me out, people are going to say, ‘Hey, what are you doing?’ But when things are going right, people are happy. The manager wants us as a team to play aggressive and that’s what I wanted to do, play aggressive every day.”
    Certainly can't argue with that. I want that out of my players.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-03-2019 at 04:31 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You extend him. He's a head case. He is high maintenance. But he is talented and exciting. He is a quality ML outfielder. He is better than other options. Puig is a guy the opposing pitcher has to plan around.

20. Likes:

Blimpie (07-03-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus View Post
    You extend him. He's a head case. He is high maintenance. But he is talented and exciting. He is a quality ML outfielder. He is better than other options. Puig is a guy the opposing pitcher has to plan around.
    I've not seen evidence of him being a "head case," at least not here.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

Big Klu (07-03-2019),Hoosier Red (07-03-2019),Rolando (07-03-2019)

MVPuig

I love Puig. What an exciting finish too

25. Likes:

cr_redsfan (07-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?