Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

IMO, Wood will never throw a pitch for the Reds. Does anyone agree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds were never going to cut Bailey and eat $28 Million. I firmly believe that without the trade, he'd still be getting the ball every fifth day and because he would have been filling a spot, the Reds would have passed on one of the other moves to plug the rotation. Even as poorly as things have worked out, it was a good deal. They are getting more for the money they've invested than they would have had the deal not been made. Breaking that long term cycle of worst rotation in the world was an important step in turning things around. Even though they added short term guys in Roark and Wood, it was still worth it.

As for the longer term pieces, the Reds did receive a long term role player in the deal in Farmer and he's already put up more than I expect from the guys they dealt away.
    These are excellent points. I am sure I was frustrated last night. I actually love Puig's personality I just never dreamed he was this bad a hitter.
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot52 View Post
    IMO, Wood will never throw a pitch for the Reds. Does anyone agree?
    I think it's a real possibility. Some team looking to upgrade may make the Reds an offer based on a rehab assignment and the fact that he seems healthy, and by the time that happens, the Reds may have come to the conclusion the best idea is to get out of as much of his remaining deal that they can. It's also very possible that his back doesn't do well in bullpen sessions and he never even gets to the rehab assignment and ends the year on the DL. The most unlikely thing is that he's healthy and the Reds are still looking for him as an upgrade to help them stay in the race. The chances of the Reds still being in the race by the time he returns and him actually being healthy enough to return are pretty small IMO. If he can get healthy the Reds will pitch him in an attempt to shine him up for a July trade, but the odds are pretty low f getting that far IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The trouble with Puig, and why I hope he doesn't get re-signed is his salary dictates his playing time. And that's fine when he's doing well, but hurts the team when he's doing poorly. We are facing a righty today. He's hitting .204 with a .602 OPS against righties. I'd be willing to throw Dietrich in LF again, and Winker in RF and Van Meter at 2nd.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I never would have guessed this trade was going to be a push.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The Reds were never going to cut Bailey and eat $28 Million. I firmly believe that without the trade, he'd still be getting the ball every fifth day and because he would have been filling a spot, the Reds would have passed on one of the other moves to plug the rotation. Even as poorly as things have worked out, it was a good deal. They are getting more for the money they've invested than they would have had the deal not been made. Breaking that long term cycle of worst rotation in the world was an important step in turning things around. Even though they added short term guys in Roark and Wood, it was still worth it.

As for the longer term pieces, the Reds did receive a long term role player in the deal in Farmer and he's already put up more than I expect from the guys they dealt away.
    It was reported thar Williams specifically said that the Reds were going to release Bailey before spring started if the trade was not made. And the fact that they released Kemp so quickly backs up that report.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Not enough bat for 2nd base and not enough glove for SS. He might hang around as a bench guy, but I'd rather have Farmer. Gray is the one who might do something, but seeing the Reds record with young internally developed arms, I'd bet he wouldn't if he was still here, though maybe they could have dealt him for something better.
    Right now, the Reds, if they had Downs and Gray, could trade them for 10 Famers. They both are top MLB prospects, former top draft picks, who are currently playing well. Gray is playing exceptionally well.

9. Likes:

Alabama (06-08-2019),Kinsm (06-08-2019)

I still don't care about Downs and Gray, I'd still trade them for guys of Puig and Wood's caliber all over again. That it hasn't worked doesn't make me miss the former two, it just leaves one with a feeling like we aren't allowed to have nice things.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

Crumbley (06-08-2019),dfs (06-08-2019),M2 (06-08-2019),membengal (06-08-2019),Mitri (06-08-2019),Plus Plus (06-10-2019),Revering4Blue (06-08-2019),Rolando (06-08-2019)

I saw the game last night. Every swing was intended to send the ball into the Delaware river. Every. Single. Swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still don't care about Downs and Gray, I'd still trade them for guys of Puig and Wood's caliber all over again. That it hasn't worked doesn't make me miss the former two, it just leaves one with a feeling like we aren't allowed to have nice things.
    I’d trade them for Wood alone, and let’s be honest, that is what happened. Kemp and Puig were added to make the money work for the Dodgers.

I know Puig is a big name, and a popular player, but anyone who followed the Dodgers closely knew the Dodgers had been trying to get rid of him for awhile. I don’t think they are at all surprised to see him struggle this season.

The lack of OF production has killed the Reds this year. We don't have a single player that's spent a majority of his playing time in the OF with a positive WAR. Senzel at 0.0 is the best of the bunch.

Puig -0.1
    Winker -0.2
    Kemp -0.9
    Schebler -0.5

That has to be the least productive OF in MLB.

15. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2019),InsaneinthBrame (06-09-2019),M2 (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The lack of OF production has killed the Reds this year. We don't have a single player that's spent a majority of his playing time in the OF with a positive WAR. Senzel at 0.0 is the best of the bunch.

Puig -0.1
    Winker -0.2
    Kemp -0.9
    Schebler -0.5

That has to be the least productive OF in MLB.
    The OF as a whole rates as -3.3 runs above average. On Toronto at -3.8 is worse. It needs fixing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

JCM11 (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The trouble with Puig, and why I hope he doesn't get re-signed is his salary dictates his playing time. And that's fine when he's doing well, but hurts the team when he's doing poorly. We are facing a righty today. He's hitting .204 with a .602 OPS against righties. I'd be willing to throw Dietrich in LF again, and Winker in RF and Van Meter at 2nd.
    Nm. I was wrong.
    Last edited by Senzling Hot; 06-08-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    I agree and was surprised it took so long to bring this up. Puig was a platoon player in LA because he can't hit righties. Bell does this with every single player that has these types of splits, but not with Puig. Either the coaches see something or they know how Puig will react.
    Puig hit righties way better then lefties his whole Dodger career.
    Crazy Reds Fan

20. Likes:

Senzling Hot (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Puig hit righties way better then lefties his whole Dodger career.
    Good call don't know e how my brain got that mixed up. I guess that begs the question, why such as a struggle against right handers this year.

Turn Off Ads?