Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Puig: Let's talk about him

Re: Puig: Let's talk about him

What happened to how we got here is irrelevant. What happens from here is all that matters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That's what I've been saying since 2016. But it's reality and the turnaround starts with ridding themselves of Homer.
    Lol, and I thought I had a low opinion of this Reds front office.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds are so stupid that they feel the need to trade top prospects just to get rid of a player they can easily cut, then the are doomed to last place forever.
    Excellent point. Why exclaim the value in getting rid of Bailey and not mention cutting Kemp? We could have cut Bailey just like we did Kemp. The only justification of that trade is to say that they got a bad break when Wood went down with such a long standing injury. I'll give em that

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Excellent point. Why exclaim the value in getting rid of Bailey and not mention cutting Kemp? We could have cut Bailey just like we did Kemp. The only justification of that trade is to say that they got a bad break when Wood went down with such a long standing injury. I'll give em that
    I already addressed that. Cutting Kemp cost a net of less than $11 Million. The price to cut Bailey was $28 Million. It would have never happened and Kemp didn't have any Reds history (2 no hitters and a significant play-off success) or Reds DNA that Bailey had. The Reds signed Bailey. Kemp was somebody else's mistake. He was easier to cut all the way around, but mostly because of the $17 Million difference.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I stopped paying attention when I got to "top prospects." Should have stopped reading instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I already addressed that. Cutting Kemp cost a net of less than $11 Million. The price to cut Bailey was $28 Million. It would have never happened and Kemp didn't have any Reds history (2 no hitters and a significant play-off success) or Reds DNA that Bailey had. The Reds signed Bailey. Kemp was somebody else's mistake. He was easier to cut all the way around, but mostly because of the $17 Million difference.
    Good points. It's unclear really how much it cost them to cut Kemp. Are the Dodgers paying $7mill of his salary or did they send the Reds $7mill? Big difference. If it's the latter then they're still on the hook for paying his contract. They just have an extra $7mill in the bank as a result of the trade and that money doesn't change, regardless of whether he's waived. The trade was a salary dump by both teams. The Dodgers decided that Puig and Wood also weren't worth the money they were due and I'd say as of today they've been proven to be correct

8. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Now that you’re done patting yourself where the sun don’t shine please tell us ahead of time what other moves this team should make.

How is getting rid of Bailey for at least 2 expected to be good players like Puig and Wood a bad idea at all.

Because of Downs and Gray? All this woe is me they traded important assets reminds me of when they lost Zack Stewart and Ronald Torreyes. 2 players that were way more advanced than the other 2 were.
    For one simple reason: there was no rush to get out of Homer’s last year, except to appease the fans. You only make that move if you are trying to make a huge splash in free agency. It was just shifting money around. And using assets to do it. Not what a rebuilding team should do

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    For one simple reason: there was no rush to get out of Homer’s last year, except to appease the fans. You only make that move if you are trying to make a huge splash in free agency. It was just shifting money around. And using assets to do it. Not what a rebuilding team should do
    I’ll give you this much. The Dodger trade for one-year contracts was never a long-term plan or even the opening of a meaningful window. It was an attempt to use the $28 million Bailey commitment in a more productive way for 2019.

But it wasn’t to “appease” fans. It was to begin the climb out of 90-loss land. And this was a proper goal.

As for the young assets - it’s a losing strategy just to draft them and hold them. You make decisions, keep some, trade some. That’s what Reds did.

11. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2019),HammerTime (06-09-2019),Kingspoint (06-08-2019),mth123 (06-08-2019),Old school 1983 (06-09-2019),Powder River (06-09-2019),Revering4Blue (06-08-2019),Tom Servo (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’ll give you this much. The Dodger trade for one-year contracts was never a long-term plan or even the opening of a meaningful window. It was an attempt to use the $28 million Bailey commitment in a more productive way for 2019.

But it wasn’t to “appease” fans. It was to begin the climb out of 90-loss land. And this was a proper goal.

As for the young assets - it’s a losing strategy just to draft them and hold them. You make decisions, keep some, trade some. That’s what Reds did.
    All excellent points.

If the Reds made a trade like this every offseason, I am confident, over the years, they will come out way ahead.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

HammerTime (06-09-2019),Revering4Blue (06-10-2019)

unfortunately it looks like the reds are still in 90 loss land. I really hope I'm wrong and they put something together
    Crazy Reds Fan

It was absolutely made to put butts in the seats.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-09-2019)

Um, no, your post is just wrong. Everything about it

If Wood comes back healthy they could trade Puig and Wood for a Gray/Downs level prospect right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    If Wood comes back healthy they could trade Puig and Wood for a Gray/Downs level prospect right now.
    It's well into June and we're still playing the "what if" game. That tells ya something

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's well into June and we're still playing the "what if" game. That tells ya something
    Yeah it’s impossible to predict a guy getting an injury. You still make this trade 100 out of 100 times.

Turn Off Ads?