Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Cameras in Toledo

Speeding Cameras in Toledo

I know we have some folks here from NW Ohio. What's up with the speeding tickets up there? My wife just got a $120 ticket in the mail supposedly for going 72 in a 60 zone on I-75. She didn't get pulled over. Never talked to any officer. She's mighty pissed. Anyone up on any of this? What's going on up there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Speeding Cameras in Toledo

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I know we have some folks here from NW Ohio. What's up with the speeding tickets up there? My wife just got a $120 ticket in the mail supposedly for going 72 in a 60 zone on I-75. She didn't get pulled over. Never talked to any officer. She's mighty pissed. Anyone up on any of this? What's going on up there?
    Yep. I’m from Toledo. It totally sucks. There’s cameras everywhere in the area. Not much else to say.

In Parma (neighborhood in southern Cleveland) I got a $115 ticket from a camera for going 27 mph in a 25. Seriously.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I got a $115 ticket from a camera for going 27 mph in a 25. Seriously.
    I hope that ticket was for going too slow and impeding traffic! Otherwise, that's absurd.

This is a tax on motorists. I hope a court throws this out someday but for now I know we're stuck.

Surprised to hear these still exist - I thought they'd been found to be illegal, but I guess what I'm remembering was overturned.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/201707...-light-cameras

The law the Ohio Supreme Court overturned would have required an officer to be present at each camera.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I hope that ticket was for going too slow and impeding traffic! Otherwise, that's absurd.
    It’s very annoying. It’s only in Parma, which I had to drive through for work. Everyone drives extremely slow, but there is this one steep hill and it’s very difficult to keep it under 25. I don’t understand why this is allowed in America.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

goreds2 (06-04-2019)

Well, I don't think we have a Constitutional right to go 5 over, but it's certainly ridiculous.

I'd recommend looking into this product if you live in the area:

https://www.voxxelectronics.com/radar/

It is a laser jammer which blocks the cameras from reading your plate.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-04-2019)

I don’t like these cameras one bit - I’ve always wondered though...

The speed limit is a law. Now that the technology has caught up where pretty much it can catch anyone breaking the law. What’s to stop a city from going all Barney Fife and just nailing everyone that breaks that law. (Granted maybe the speed limit isn’t a law per se, but it is a rule with a penalty)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don’t like these cameras one bit - I’ve always wondered though...

The speed limit is a law. Now that the technology has caught up where pretty much it can catch anyone breaking the law. What’s to stop a city from going all Barney Fife and just nailing everyone that breaks that law. (Granted maybe the speed limit isn’t a law per se, but it is a rule with a penalty)
    But, the slippery slope is that a cop doesn't issue the ticket, and the way that towns got in trouble was that there was no way to fight it or face your accuser. And they way the cameras were situated has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with raising money without paying the cop, not to mention the guys who provide the cameras get a cut in the action too, It's a scam.

What I'd love to see every take one day and drive the speed limit everywhere and see traffic jams and road rage explode.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Traffic jams aren't caused by slower drivers. Rather, they're caused by the difference in speeds between the fastest and slowest drivers. If people drove the speed limit, those congestion jams would lessen overall.

And I say this as someone who often exceeds the speed limit by 5-10 MPH.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-04-2019),goreds2 (06-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    But, the slippery slope is that a cop doesn't issue the ticket, and the way that towns got in trouble was that there was no way to fight it or face your accuser. And they way the cameras were situated has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with raising money without paying the cop, not to mention the guys who provide the cameras get a cut in the action too, It's a scam.

What I'd love to see every take one day and drive the speed limit everywhere and see traffic jams and road rage explode.
    Oh I totally agree with your overall point. But as far as facing your “accuser” goes if you (or your car) are on camera and the camera shows you breaking the speed limit, there’s not much you can do to disprove it, other than plead your case/reason...which you could still do in court. But given a tightly calibrated/secure camera you couldn’t fight the speed and the ID of the car. (I imagine the law is made so the owner of the car is liable for the ticket)

It would be a slippery slope and the public would be outraged yet I’m surprised a city hasn’t gone whole hog on the concept. And yes it would be nothing about safety just a money/attention grab.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Oh I totally agree with your overall point. But as far as facing your “accuser” goes if you (or your car) are on camera and the camera shows you breaking the speed limit, there’s not much you can do to disprove it, other than plead your case/reason...which you could still do in court. But given a tightly calibrated/secure camera you couldn’t fight the speed and the ID of the car. (I imagine the law is made so the owner of the car is liable for the ticket)

It would be a slippery slope and the public would be outraged yet I’m surprised a city hasn’t gone whole hog on the concept. And yes it would be nothing about safety just a money/attention grab.
    But, you can't challenge the calibration of the camera, which is the most common defense against speeding tickets, not to mention that no camera is infallible. And, towns use administration hearings instead of municipal hearings, so you don't actually get to contest it in a court of law (you have to pay a fee to call an administrative hearing). Also, towns with populations as low as 100 use them as a cash grab, because they don't have their own police or fire departments, nor a courthouse, and you can't fight it there either.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Traffic jams aren't caused by slower drivers. Rather, they're caused by the difference in speeds between the fastest and slowest drivers. If people drove the speed limit, those congestion jams would lessen overall.

And I say this as someone who often exceeds the speed limit by 5-10 MPH.
    No, there have been plenty of studies showing that dynamic speed limits based on traffic flow is the optimal way of reducing traffic jams. You are a python programmer, right? You could easily write a simulator to test it. You have to look at a highway like a water hose: If you need just a little bit of water, say 1 gal per minute, then that is easily obtainable from a garden hose. But if you need 5 gal per minute, you have to either get a bigger hose or increase the water pressure to increase the flow rate. Traffic is the same way. If you have a three lane highway, a finite number of cars can pass a certain point per minute at a certain speed. To get more cars past that point, they have to drive faster. So yes, in a place like I75 southbound in the morning, if everyone drove 65, traffic would be backed up to Dayton in minutes. This is why highways in Europe usually have speed limits of 85, 90, or even unlimited miles per hour. It's the best way to get the most cars past a certain point.

I drive I75 northbound through West Chester often in the afternoon, and a perfect example is when three or four truck align side by side along that long hill and drive 60 for a couple of miles. Before you know it, traffic is backed up as far as you can see, and the effect lingers for miles even after they move over to the right lanes again.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    No, there have been plenty of studies showing that dynamic speed limits based on traffic flow is the optimal way of reducing traffic jams. You are a python programmer, right? You could easily write a simulator to test it. You have to look at a highway like a water hose: If you need just a little bit of water, say 1 gal per minute, then that is easily obtainable from a garden hose. But if you need 5 gal per minute, you have to either get a bigger hose or increase the water pressure to increase the flow rate. Traffic is the same way. If you have a three lane highway, a finite number of cars can pass a certain point per minute at a certain speed. To get more cars past that point, they have to drive faster. So yes, in a place like I75 southbound in the morning, if everyone drove 65, traffic would be backed up to Dayton in minutes. This is why highways in Europe usually have speed limits of 85, 90, or even unlimited miles per hour. It's the best way to get the most cars past a certain point.

I drive I75 northbound through West Chester often in the afternoon, and a perfect example is when three or four truck align side by side along that long hill and drive 60 for a couple of miles. Before you know it, traffic is backed up as far as you can see, and the effect lingers for miles even after they move over to the right lanes again.
    I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. I'm all for higher speed limits. But we need to train American drivers like they do in Germany, and I don't see that happening due to American individualism culture. And we need to engineer roads so that turning and merging and exiting don't become areas where mainline traffic slows down, causing that greater speed delta I mentioned.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?