Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Lodolo, LHP - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

Re: Nick Lodolo - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

I assume if India got the full tour of Greeneville, Billings, and Dayton then so will Lodolo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    depends on how fast he signs - particularly how far TCU advances in the post season.

... 2 - 3 starts in Billings and finishes in Dayton to be ready for Daytona next year.
    Well we are in luck. TCU is done. Lodolo lost to Arky

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I assume if India got the full tour of Greeneville, Billings, and Dayton then so will Lodolo.
    It's a little different with pitchers though. India only had 8 ABs at Billings. I think it would be a bit more stressful to have Lodolo go to Billings for just one start before packing his bags again for Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    It's a little different with pitchers though. India only had 8 ABs at Billings. I think it would be a bit more stressful to have Lodolo go to Billings for just one start before packing his bags again for Dayton.
    That and they prolly won’t risk having to jettison him out of there after two ugly starts. Just not worth it

With all due respect to the good people of Bollings

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Supposedly it's a new day in both the scouting and development ranks. I'm hoping we see a few noticeable breaks from past practices. Lodolo would be a fine place to start.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

membengal (06-03-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I wouldn't mind if his season ended after a start in Greenville and three in Dayton. He has already thrown 91 innings this year. I just don't see too much of a benefit to have him throw more than 25 or 30 professional innings this year.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (06-03-2019),Mitri (06-03-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-03-2019),Tom Servo (06-03-2019),traderumor (06-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I wouldn't mind if his season ended after a start in Greenville and three in Dayton. He has already thrown 91 innings this year. I just don't see too much of a benefit to have him throw more than 25 or 30 professional innings this year.
    Fair point. They'll probably want to keep his innings limited.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That’s about what I was thinking. Maybe two in Greenville and 2-3 in Dayton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 6'6" 185 he is sort of a bean pole.

I definitely prefer the college route over high school, in most cases.

So, does Lodolo start at High-A this year and then start at AA next year with the possibility of advancing to AA this year or is he clearly not ready for that?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The Reds have yet to make a decision on where Lodolo will begin his pro career.

“He's an advanced college pitcher, I would expect him to skip some of the Rookie levels and move pretty quick,” Williams said.

At TCU, Lodolo’s pitching coach was former Reds pitcher Kirk Saarloos.

“From the day I got here, he's worked with me every single day,” Lodolo said. “I enjoy coach Saarloos so much, not just as a pitching coach, just as someone off the field who really will help you in any way possible that you can imagine. On the field, the guy's taught me so much, learning about myself as a pitcher. Being long and lanky, the biggest thing is getting those cues back and repeating my delivery. That's one of the biggest things he's helped me with.”

From MLB story from Sheldon
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-take-n...und-draft-pick
    Last edited by PepperJack; 06-04-2019 at 12:43 AM.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-04-2019),Tom Servo (06-04-2019)

Re: Nick Lodolo, LHP - 2019 1st round pick, 7th overall

Not that I think he'll go the Mike Leake route and jump straight to the big club, but it wouldn't be unheard of.. I'm not a big fan of players who languish in rookie ball..

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't see any earthly reason why a top-shelf D1 pitcher needs to play in any rookie league, let alone the one that's friendliest to hitters.
    Agree. You're not drafting a raw 18 yr old where the only thing you have to go on is "potential" (as well as luck and a prayer). You're drafting a 21-22 yr old whose had time to fill out physically (and that is important), and is further along in the development stage. They've progressed to a certain level. Playing college ball has already done some of the work for you in that development stage. You now have a clearer picture, they've established something far more concrete to go on.

And you drafted them based on that progress. IMO, you don't "regress" but place him at an equivalent level within their farm system, and go from there.

They took a talented, but still raw, unproven 18 yr old (Hunter Greene) and promoted him to Dayton based on what?
    Last edited by GAC; 06-04-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Good sign, this comment from Williams.

Dayton, I suspect, for the second half of the season.

(At 91 innings, they may limit him some, but he's old enough to get another 50 - 60 IP and not have it impact him. Were I the man in charge, I'd be tempted to keep him on the weekly collegiate start he's used to.)

Turn Off Ads?