Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rece Hinds, 3B - 2019 2nd round pick, 49th overall

Re: Rece Hinds, 3B - 2019 2nd round pick, 49th overall

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    In all likelihood, he's going to bust, just like Hawkins. The most likely scenario is he ends up like Jake Gatewood. And yet, this is still a great pick.

This is a terrible draft without much depth. There's not much to choose from in the 2nd round or later this year. So going after a guy who is most likely Gatewood or Hawkins is awesome because there's still that small chance that he can figure something out and be special. And holy crap, if a guy like Gatewood, Hawkins or now Hinds ever figures out the hit tool with professional coaching, that's when you end up with someone like Giancarlo Stanton or Aaron Judge (guys who had the same problems and profiles as amateurs). That's the kind of upside we're talking about here.

But again, he'll most likely bust. They're taking a chance with him. But with a pick like this, I'm not going to hold it against the Reds for taking that chance. I like the process, even if the results don't pan out.
    i love how the kid is 18 and people are acting like it's an extreme longshot that he can improve enough on his weaknesses to become a good mlb player. not taking a shot at you since everyone is pretty much saying the same thing; i just get a kick out of the idea that a kid so incredibly young is beyond hope because he has a couple flaws in his game at the age of 18. everyone agrees he's got plus-plus power. it's not like we're talking about a 22-year-old college senior. i have a lot of hope for this young man. he has traits that cannot be taught (power, arm) and i would argue that his weaknesses are things that can be improved (too many swing and misses; poor pitch recognition). especially for a kid who is only 18.

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-04-2019),Hillsdale87 (06-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If he can stick at SS, this is a phenomenal pick.

I assume he cannot.
    I'll be curious to see how much SS he plays. No harm in letting him try it in the AZL. It is possible they announced him as a SS just to make him feel good when his name came up, but the plan is to shift him elsewhere in the instructionals. Seems like RF might be a good fit for a big bat with a big arm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i love how the kid is 18 and people are acting like it's an extreme longshot that he can improve enough on his weaknesses to become a good mlb player. not taking a shot at you since everyone is pretty much saying the same thing; i just get a kick out of the idea that a kid so incredibly young is beyond hope because he has a couple flaws in his game at the age of 18. everyone agrees he's got plus-plus power. it's not like we're talking about a 22-year-old college senior. i have a lot of hope for this young man. he has traits that cannot be taught (power, arm) and i would argue that his weaknesses are things that can be improved (too many swing and misses; poor pitch recognition). especially for a kid who is only 18.
    I say it's an extreme longshot because the vast majority of 2nd rounders, especially high schoolers, never make it to the majors. Baseball's hard. Most people don't make it. But he has the upside that, if he does make it, he could be an absolute star.

If you take a look at every team's history of 2nd round picks, you'll see that VERY few are people you've ever actually heard of.

6. Likes:

Alabama (06-04-2019),M2 (06-04-2019)

I say it's an extreme longshot because the vast majority of 2nd rounders, especially high schoolers, never make it to the majors. Baseball's hard. Most people don't make it. But he has the upside that, if he does make it, he could be an absolute star.

If you take a look at every team's history of 2nd round picks, you'll see that VERY few are people you've ever actually heard of.
    Your post was great. You said nothing derogatory about the kid at all. It was a great, realistic post. That’s why I get so mad with this board. If it’s not 100% positive or doesnt pump enough sunshine, it’s seen as negative and anti Reds.

Fair enough, but by that standard, we could start the thread about every single player drafted after the first round (and probably even for the second half of the first round) "In all likelihood, he's going to bust"

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (06-05-2019)

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fair enough, but by that standard, we could start the thread about every single player drafted after the first round (and probably even for the second half of the first round) "In all likelihood, he's going to bust"
    I mean that probably should be baked in to the discussion, yeah.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He cited specific examples of past draftees with his profile. Some who didn’t pan out and others that did. No reason to bi##h about his post

You honestly could. However, there are some that have a higher likelihood than others, those like Hinds, who was drafted as a high ceiling, low floor prospect.

this kid finished 2nd last year in HR Derby to Witt Jr. - most scout have him with as the biggest power bat in the draft. I 'm down with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

He’s listed at 215, that’s pretty big for a high school kid isn’t it? Athlete or not? I imagine as he gets even bigger he won’t stand much chance of staying at shortstop.

16. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-27-2019),kaldaniels (06-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    He’s listed at 215, that’s pretty big for a high school kid isn’t it? Athlete or not? I imagine as he gets even bigger he won’t stand much chance of staying at shortstop.
    I saw a short interview on YouTube about how he didn't focus on adding any muscle in his senior year and that he just wanted to tone the muscle he already had. There is probably a 1% chance he sticks at SS though.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rece Hinds' Twitter account: https://twitter.com/HindsRece
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

A note from a buddy who coaches at Bexley HS....re: Hinds

“So the coach at Bexley the year before I got there is now a coach at IMG in FL. Asked him about Rece Hinds. "Unreal good. One of the best character kids I’ve met too. Plays hard as hell and is super talented."

20. Likes:

Alabama (06-04-2019),Edd Roush (06-05-2019),lollipopcurve (06-05-2019),membengal (06-04-2019),UKFlounder (06-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mamrice View Post
    A note from a buddy who coaches at Bexley HS....re: Hinds

“So the coach at Bexley the year before I got there is now a coach at IMG in FL. Asked him about Rece Hinds. "Unreal good. One of the best character kids I’ve met too. Plays hard as hell and is super talented."
    probably has peaked at the age of 18 though.

/s

Turn Off Ads?