Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Johnson, 2B, Chipola College (FL)-2019 Fourth Round Pick #114

Ivan Johnson, 2B, Chipola College (FL)-2019 Fourth Round Pick #114

Ivan Johnson, 2B, Chipola College (FL)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ivan Johnson, 2B, Chipola College (FL)-2019 Fourth Round Pick #114

Really like this pick. Hopefully he can stick at SS.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ivan Johnson's Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ivanthegreatxi
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-2...day-2-coverage

A switch-hitter, he has shown he can hit for both average and some power.

“We’ve seen him play both shortstop and second base in the past. We think he’s a second baseman moving forward, but he will play some shortstop as he starts his pro career,” Katsuka said.

Ivan Johnson struggled getting started this season, then got hurt in the middle of May for a month. As a result, he's put up less than 200 PAs on the year. Since July, though, he's rediscovered his stroke. In the last month, he's gone .301/ .370/ .452/ .822 in the notoriously offense-suppressing Florida State League. Over the entirety of the season, that hot streak has brought his numbers up to a 111 wRC+. He's K'ing a bit too much, but the BB rate is solid. His 170 ISO suggest that the power is burgeoning too (though it too is masked by the FSL's cavernous parks and damp air).

As Matt McLain gets his feet wet, he may be pushed to A+ ball in Dayton. However, if the Reds take a more conservative approach and put McLain in low A, Johnson should be able to handle the jump.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (08-02-2021),klw (08-02-2021)

As BZ predicted, Johnson has indeed been bumped up to Dayton. And he singled in his first AB at A+, so that's nice.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Ivan Johnson's theme song this year:

He's in danger of getting lost in the shuffle with the huge infusion of talented infielders but he keeps plugging away and producing reasonably well, slashing .267/.332/.438 in AA so far after missing the first month of the season. The BB/K ratio is probably the biggest knock on him, it's concerning. But I see a guy who could potentially be a second division starter by about age 25-26, or a solid utility player. He won't be handed anything, but if he keeps hitting he should get an opportunity whether with the Reds or someone else.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-07-2022)

Good call, Servo.

I'd love to see the Reds push him to learn all three OF positions so that he might be of a solid, league average bat in place of a variety of positions.

Ya seems like a Cozart/Valaika level prospect. Probably more on the AAAA or utility path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

He has been on a tear over the last month. Since May 31st, 8 homers and a .968 ops in AA.

14. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-01-2023),ochoa30 (07-01-2023)

Name:  ivanjohnson.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  38.8 KB

What kind of Pitcher could he bring back?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What kind of Pitcher could he bring back?
    Not a good one on his own, but he could be the third piece/throw in to a deal. The way I see it breaking down, is if we want a difference maker in the rotation, we'll need to trade one from each group. If it's just a rental, maybe two from Group B + one from Group C.

Group A
    T.Stephenson
    Marte
    Arroyo

Group B
    Senzel
    Newman
    Hinds
    Stewart
    Acuna
    Aguiar
    Jorge

Group C
    Ivan Johnson
    Balcazar
    Hendrick
    Allen
    Sanchez
    Nelson
    Tanner
    Vellojin
    Hunter
    Roa

I purposely didn't include CES, Collier or our top three pitching prospects (Phillips, Petty and Richardson) because I wouldn't trade them unless I was blown away. They're worth more to us right now than they are to anyone else.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-01-2023 at 07:13 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not a good one on his own, but he could be the third piece/throw in to a deal. The way I see it breaking down, is if we want a difference maker in the rotation, we'll need to trade one from each group. If it's just a rental, maybe two from Group B + one from Group C.

Group A
    T.Stephenson
    Marte
    Arroyo

Group B
    Senzel
    Newman
    Hinds
    Stewart
    Acuna
    Aguiar
    Jorge

Group C
    Ivan Johnson
    Balcazar
    Hendrick
    Allen
    Sanchez
    Nelson
    Tanner
    Vellojin
    Hunter
    Roa

I purposely didn't include CES, Collier or our top three pitching prospects (Phillips, Petty and Richardson) because I wouldn't trade them unless I was blown away. They're worth more to us right now than they are to anyone else.
    I can’t argue with any of that…but I keep seeing Jorge’s name on prospect lists…I might charge a little more if he is the “B” list guy.

I still like this guy. I largely doubt he could ever have a significant big league impact but he seems like a guy who could have a few hot runs as a bench player.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-02-2023)

Turn Off Ads?