Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Hendrick, still a chance?

Austin Hendrick, still a chance?

Is there still hope for Austin to turn things around and become the prospect Reds fans hoped for when he was drafted 12th overall?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Austin Hendrick, still a chance?

Probably not, no.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-02-2023)

I think probably not. Really hasn’t made any progress on his K rate which has been god awful from day 1.

I give the Reds a little bit of a pass on this one as the 2020 draft was pretty weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I think probably not. Really hasn’t made any progress on his K rate which has been god awful from day 1.

I give the Reds a little bit of a pass on this one as the 2020 draft was pretty weird.
    Weird yes. Awful yes.

Wow there is not much at all there. Torkleson, Detmers, Bobby Miller.

But yeah, that was the big COVID non-playing year/draft.

Jay Sherman The Critic “He Stinks!” Gif

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Weird yes. Awful yes.

And with the hype surrounding Tork, he’s been a pretty big disappointment so far
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Weird yes. Awful yes.

Cards did pretty well that draft with Jordan Walker, Masyn Wynn and Alec Burelson.

You can probably stick a fork in Hendrick. Ironically Connor Phillips was a second round pick of the Mariners in that draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Cards did pretty well that draft with Jordan Walker, Masyn Wynn and Alec Burelson.

You can probably stick a fork in Hendrick. Ironically Connor Phillips was a second round pick of the Mariners in that draft.
    Yep. Scrolled right past him. I was thinking simply first round though. It will be interesting to look back in 2040 if we make it and see the effect the 2020 year had on amateur baseball players and the draft.

It’s academic but i imagine McLain has about as much WAR as that whole 2020 first round.

Is he poorly coached and/or unwilling to change? With his talent, he should be able to improve with proper coaching and a willingness to make changes.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I have to wonder if he's injured this year. His power numbers are way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Is he poorly coached and/or unwilling to change? With his talent, he should be able to improve with proper coaching and a willingness to make changes.
    I think his vision is a major issue.

Some kids just can't pick up spin well or fast enough to make the desired changes.

Is there a Mickey Moniac vibe to him? Dude was a bust in Philly, traded to Angels, now playing pretty decent in his short stint in MLB. Maybe Austin needs a change of scenery, but yeah, he hasn't produced like I thought he'd be doing by now.

I'm gonna go for optimism since he just turned 22 two weeks ago. He has a chance to get things fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Swinging the bat exceptionally hard against cold weather high school kids kind of proved to be his only talent.

Remember: Hendrick was not scouted in a traditional way because of the COVID year. It’s highly likely if it was a normal year the Reds would have watched him play a bunch and put a 5th round grade on him. They couldn’t scout anyone so they just decided to draft someone with a loud tool. With that said, if I were in charge I would have drafted a college player out of the SEC and just scouted the stat line.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (07-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Remember: Hendrick was not scouted in a traditional way because of the COVID year. It’s highly likely if it was a normal year the Reds would have watched him play a bunch and put a 5th round grade on him. They couldn’t scout anyone so they just decided to draft someone with a loud tool. With that said, if I were in charge I would have drafted a college player out of the SEC and just scouted the stat line.
    I didn’t mind the strategy of leaning into the volatility of that draft. There’s another world where that swing and miss tag was misapplied, and Hendrick is a young, heart-of-the-order slugger right now.

Turn Off Ads?