Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graham Ashcraft, RHP, 2019 Sixth Round Pick #174

Re: Graham Ashcraft, RHP, 2019 Sixth Round Pick #174

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If there was more buzz about him outside of Redszone, he might be untouchable for me. Since there isn't, I'm thinking he's just a guy having a good year. I wouldn't trade him for a rental, but for three years of control of an established reliever, I think I would.
    I mean, he was named AA Pitcher of the Month last month.

He was number one on Baseball America's Hot Prospect Helium Watch too.

He's been named MLB's Prospect of the Week in late June.

There aren't many pitchers who've been more talked about, aside from those already in the top 100.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So lets say you cold trade Ashcraft for Tanner Scott of Baltimore. An effective lefty reliever, but not a shut down type, who is controlled not only this year, but 2022, 2023 and 2024. Would you make that deal? I think I would.
    I wouldn’t. I’m collecting pre-arb, high minors, good pitching prospects. Greene, Lodolo, now Ashcraft.

Tanner Scott is arb eligible in 2022. If he’s Michael Lorenzen he’ll be at $4.4 million in a few years. I’d rather have my prospects who will still be pre-arb for a few seasons.

These pre-arb pitchers, due for the majors in a year or two, are golden to a mid-market team. I’ll take the gamble on Ashcraft and the others.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-25-2021 at 05:05 PM.

4. Likes:

JFLegal (07-26-2021),RED VAN HOT (07-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wouldn’t. I’m collecting pre-arb, high minors, good pitching prospects. Greene, Lodolo, now Ashcraft.

Tanner Scott is arb eligible in 2022. If he’s Michael Lorenzen he’ll be at $4.4 million in a few years. I’d rather have my prospects who will still be pre-arb for a few seasons.

These pre-arb pitchers, due for the majors in a year or two, are golden to a mid-market team. I’ll take the gamble on Ashcraft and the others.
    That doesn't help today and may not help in the future. Lots of guys were like Ashcraft at one time and became Cody Reed, Sal Romano, Jose Deleon, Robert Stephenson, Zach Stewart, Brandon Finnegan, etc. I'll take this year plus three more of an established guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That doesn't help today and may not help in the future. Lots of guys were like Ashcraft at one time and became Cody Reed, Sal Romano, Jose Deleon, Robert Stephenson, Zach Stewart, Brandon Finnegan, etc. I'll take this year plus three more of an established guy.
    How often do established relievers blow up after a year or two? Seems like all too often. Of course some prospects haven’t turned out like we thought/hoped, but it still seems like a reliever isn’t a great return for an ascending prospect with good arm talent.

Quote Originally Posted by kearns and dunn View Post
    How often do established relievers blow up after a year or two? Seems like all too often. Of course some prospects haven’t turned out like we thought/hoped, but it still seems like a reliever isn’t a great return for an ascending prospect with good arm talent.
    I guess if I really thought he was ascending, I'd be right there with you. It seems like he's only ascending on Redszone. He's pitched well. That's for sure. I just don't know if its a mirage. I'd rather come away with something, especially when its needed so badly right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

And how about Luis Castillo, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey, Mike Leake, Aroldis Chapman, Raisel Iglesias, Tejay Antone, Tyler Mahle, and many other successful starters and relievers who came through the Reds system?

Pre-arb talent is gold to a mid-market team. Especially pitching for which there is an unending need. You don’t give it up so easily, especially when the pitcher shows success at high levels of the minors.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-25-2021 at 05:51 PM.

You generally won't go broke betting against pitching prospects, they are the biggest risk in baseball. But if you miss it likely means you missed big.

I like Ashcraft. I guess I'm not completely opposed to trading him, but it would have to be in a deal for a pretty big time player. Otherwise I would think a Christian Roa or Bryce Bonnin would suffice if we're talking about a solid major league reliever.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    And how about Luis Castillo, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey, Mike Leake, Aroldis Chapman, Raisel Iglesias, Tejay Antone, Tyler Mahle, and many other successful starters and relievers who came through the Reds system?

Pre-arb talent is gold to a mid-market team. Especially pitching for which there is an unending need. You don’t give it up so easily, especially when the pitcher shows success at high levels of the minors.
    But those guys were always prospects, not guys who came out of nowhere with a hot season. Tejay Antone is the exception. I guess the odds are that the Reds will get three years of solid pitching from a guy they deal for and the odds are they'll get zero years of solid pitching from a guy currently in AA unless he's been tabbed as such all along like Lodolo or Greene. Again, I wouldn't deal him for a rental, but I would deal him for immediate help and three more years of control. If I could get a guy like Scott or another reliever for less, I'd certainly like to keep Ashcraft, but this sounds like a classic sell high situation to me.

But those guys were always prospects, not guys who came out of nowhere with a hot season. Tejay Antone is the exception. I guess the odds are that the Reds will get three years of solid pitching from a guy they deal for and the odds are they'll get zero years of solid pitching from a guy currently in AA unless he's been tabbed as such all along like Lodolo or Greene. Again, I wouldn't deal him for a rental, but I would deal him for immediate help and three more years of control. If I could get a guy like Scott or another reliever for less, I'd certainly like to keep Ashcraft, but this sounds like a classic sell high situation to me.
    About half of that group were always “prospects” .

Castillo was traded three times, Cueto was a cheap international signing who blossomed, Antone and Mahle were both guys who had breakouts along the way.

Ashcraft was drafted in 2019, it’s not like he’s been floating around for a while and is suddenly putting up numbers in AA.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Even if Ashcraft winds up in the pen, at pre-arb prices and with years of control, he has value. Once these guys get to AA, if they are succeeding, you trade them very sparingly. Because a pipeline of good, low cost pitching possibilities is the way for a mid-market club to avoid the scrap heap.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-25-2021 at 06:19 PM.

You'll have to show me where any of those guys put up a season as good as Ashcraft's has been this year.

Remember, too, that this is in AA and not the Pioneer League or Dayton. (Or the pitcher's haven that is/was the Florida State League.)

Ashcraft is tossing gem after gem, and you want to deal him for a cromulent middle relief arm?

Put another way:

2019 Robert Stephenson = 2021 Tanner Scott

If that's your thing, great. But we know it's not, based on your posting history.

15. Likes:

I guess if I really thought he was ascending, I'd be right there with you. It seems like he's only ascending on Redszone. He's pitched well. That's for sure. I just don't know if its a mirage. I'd rather come away with something, especially when its needed so badly right now.
    I fail to see how he isn’t ascending.

I don’t really care what outside media thinks of him. I see arm talent, a developing off speed, a power breaking ball, and good spin numbers. I see improved control. I see that his talent is being backed up by his statistics. People talking about him, or not talking about it, doesn’t change who/what he is.

Now of course he’ll probably never be, statistically, the pitcher he is now. I think he’s showing that at the least, he can give the Reds several years of cheap, quality, bullpen help. I’d be leary of trading that for a player who has had more bad years than good years.

I am fine with the idea of trading Ashcroft, but it better be for more than Tanner Scott.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am fine with the idea of trading Ashcroft, but it better be for more than Tanner Scott.
    I hear you. Scott was just a for instance. The idea is getting an established arm for multiple years of control.

So what would you trade him for?

I hear you. Scott was just a for instance. The idea is getting an established arm for multiple years of control.

So what would you trade him for?
    I’m more of a package guy. I might build a package around him for Trevor Story and Marquez from Colorado or Baez and Chafin from Chicago.

If it has to be a 1 for 1 I’d trade him for Rogers from Minnesota
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Mitri (07-26-2021)

Turn Off Ads?