Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Day 3 Thread

Re: 2019 MLB Draft Day 3 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    The Reds must really like him in order to draft him twice. Also according to MLB Draft Rules a team can not redraft a player unless the player gives permission. I heard that a few years ago.
    Off the top if my head, I think he was part of the Urban Academy or something like that.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

FWIW, Matt Lloyd(IU) is Canadian...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not sure why I'm noticing, but it feels like Grand Canyon and Dallas Baptist guys are getting drafted like every other round.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, another catcher! WV bound.
    I was surprised how many Wright State players were drafted. Four, I think.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wendell Marrero, RF, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy
    He shall be known as Mr. (or Senor) Wendell.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2019)

Got about a minute into that before I realized it was the other Arrested Development. I thought it was an ad.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm totally not making a joke about his name.

Not till i come up with a really good one that is.
    First thought about the name is the guy that voices Squidward on SpongeBob SquarePants... Rodger Bumpass

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  12.5 KB

9. Likes:

M2 (06-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    FWIW, Matt Lloyd(IU) is Canadian...
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

And I'm assuming we all are rooting heavily for AJ Bumpass.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Both places with incredible natural beauty.
    Montana, yes.

Billings...eh.

Thanks to all who contributed pick updates and links to this thread -- really great and much appreciated.

Few quick takes...

I like that they've gone for more lefthandedness than in the past. Also like all the catching (partial to those catchers, I am). Lotta size in this group. Would love to see them get that McCormick kid signed -- he looks to have really interesting feel to hit. Also would like to see them get the PR kids.

If they get guys like Contreras, Hodges and McCormick along with Hinds and Callihan, it's a potentially very intriguing set of young bats.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 06-06-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Jim Callis ranked the Reds #7 in his MLB article on the seven teams that had the best draft.

He wrote:

Cincinnati opened by landing the consensus best pitcher in Texas Christian left-hander Nick Lodolo (first), who has three solid pitches and control to match. After that, the Reds stocked up on power with high school sluggers Rece Hinds (second) and Tyler Callihan (third) and Alabama-Birmingham right-hander Graham Ashcraft, who can reach 98 mph with his fastball. Chipola (Fla.) JC second baseman Ivan Johnson (fourth) and Grand Canyon outfielder Quin Cotton (eighth) have the offensive potential to exceed their Draft status.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2019),indy_dave00 (06-06-2019),Tom Servo (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    That's the third catcher so far. I'm surprised they haven't drafted more pitchers (only four).

I never have understood the machinations of the draft....especially the distinction between "organizational" and actual picks.
    You should understand that if you looked at the scouting report filed by the area scout of the drafting team, for most every player taken after about the 12th round (or earlier, especially for senior signs who are taken just to save on the cap), the scout lists the "highest potential classification" as somewhere below the major leagues. In other words, you get past the 12th round, and you are taking a group of players that you don't think can play in the big leagues. So who do you draft and why?

There are two types of players, and a lot somewhere in the middle, but let's look at the two types. Organizational guys and projects.

Organizational players are guys who don't have the tools to be major leaguers, but will make every team they play on better up to a certain level. Their managers, coaches, and teammates love them. Think Zack Vincej, Seth Mejias-Brean, and Brian O'Grady. They make their teams better, they help the prospects develop in a better environment, they set a tone for what it means to be a professional baseball player, how you go about your entire day, not just the part between 7:05 and 10:00 p.m. Their careers last way longer than they should, because when the meetings take place when releases are discussed, their managers fight for them and want them on their teams. And guess what? Once in a while, low and behold, Brian O'Grady actually becomes a better player than Phillip Ervin. Notice all these guys are still playing, though sometimes they have to move to a new organization, but that is not difficult, because the opposing managers see the same things in those players.

Projects are guys that makes their teams worse because their baseball skills are poor, but they have tools. Most of the time, they never become players that make their teams better. Think about a track star trying to become a baseball player. Once in a blue moon, you hit on an Amir Garrett, so you have to give it a shot and keep trying the Zeek White's of the world. Most of the time, they never develop because baseball is hard game, even for the best athlete. You draft some of these guys and hope you strike gold.

The problem the Reds have had under Buckley is they have drafted way more projects than organizational guys and the result is a lot of losing at every level. Bad baseball, bad morale. Sloppy teams. No leaders. Losing culture.

They have to fix that. It looks like on Day 3 this year, they recognized the problem and addressed it.

18. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2019),Edd Roush (06-06-2019),Gallen5862 (06-06-2019),lollipopcurve (06-06-2019),M2 (06-06-2019),mace (06-07-2019),membengal (06-06-2019),OGB (06-06-2019),podgejeff_ (06-09-2019),redsmetz (06-06-2019),RedTeamGo! (06-06-2019),Tom Servo (06-06-2019),UKFlounder (06-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?