Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The writing of Ernie Pyle

The writing of Ernie Pyle

These are mostly letters or columns written by Pyle during WWII, mostly from N Africa.. It's a world hard to imagine today, but Pyle had a way of writing that nearly everyone could understand. He was killed by a Japanese sniper April of 1945 on an island off Okinawa Honto..
    http://privateletters.net/featured_pyle.html

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-08-2019),cumberlandreds (06-06-2019),marcshoe (06-06-2019),North (06-10-2019),RiverRat13 (06-07-2019),westofyou (06-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The writing of Ernie Pyle

I will have to read this later as it looks like it is a long article. I have a book abut Pyle that I haven't read yet but I heard a lot about him from my parents and others of that generation.

Also like to add that today is the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. I'm sure there aren't many of those guys left that survived that day. I wonder if today will be the last get together for the ones that are left?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He's a giant

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Indiana legend...

7. Likes:

BillDoran (06-11-2019)

Yeah, he's pretty familiar to us in Bloomington. Definitely worth looking into his chronicling of the war experience.
    http://www.magbloom.com/2018/06/cele...nt-ernie-pyle/
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-08-2019),BillDoran (06-11-2019),cumberlandreds (06-10-2019)

Pyle had a memorial site near hear run by the state. I think the Mitch Daniels administration took their funding away and it closed.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Thanks for sharing some of his writing.

Indiana University has a statue on their campus in his honor, and while I went there the School of Journalism was located in Ernie Pyle Hall. As one could imagine, lots of Pyle memorabilia around the building and in the Lilly Library. There was even a scholar or two dedicated to Pyle history. He's well-remembered in Bloomington.

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-15-2019),cumberlandreds (06-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Thanks for sharing some of his writing.

Indiana University has a statue on their campus in his honor, and while I went there the School of Journalism was located in Ernie Pyle Hall. As one could imagine, lots of Pyle memorabilia around the building and in the Lilly Library. There was even a scholar or two dedicated to Pyle history. He's well-remembered in Bloomington.
    Except that the Ernie Pyle School of Journalism is no longer because he's long dead and can't give them 20 million dollars. It's the Media School now, which is likely a placeholder name until some rich person who never ran wet tee shirt contests at a bar on Kirkwood will pony up with a big naming check.

14. Likes:

919191 (06-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Except that the Ernie Pyle School of Journalism is no longer because he's long dead and can't give them 20 million dollars. It's the Media School now, which is likely a placeholder name until some rich person who never ran wet tee shirt contests at a bar on Kirkwood will pony up with a big naming check.
    Just some clean-up: Ernie Pyle Hall still stands and is now a university welcome center and career success office. It was never the Ernie Pyle School of Journalism. The journalism program was never named, and it was merged with two other communication programs to form The Media School ca. 2016.

I assume you're talking about Mark Cuban with the reference to his shady post-grad bar ownership period. The university has accepted Cuban's money, and in 2017 took $5 million and opened the Mark Cuban Center for Sports Media and Technology (which I understand is primarily interested in VR/AR). You've got to be a pretty awful person for a university to not take your cash.

All that said, Ernie Pyle is very important to the journalism department and its alumni. Leaving Ernie Pyle Hall caused an uproar (as did the merger generally), and there was committee formed specifically for the purposes of remembering Pyle. One of the cooler remembrances is the Ernie Pyle Scholars. IU recruits some of the best high school journalists across the nation, giving them full rides in his name. A number of these students have went on to win the Hearst awards (the Heisman Trophy of college journalism).
    Last edited by BillDoran; 06-14-2019 at 10:57 AM.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-15-2019),Hoosier Red (07-02-2019),Kingspoint (06-21-2019)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

A lot of people don't realize that Jane Pauley is an IU grad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Just some clean-up: Ernie Pyle Hall still stands and is now a university welcome center and career success office. It was never the Ernie Pyle School of Journalism. The journalism program was never named, and it was merged with two other communication programs to form The Media School ca. 2016.

I assume you're talking about Mark Cuban with the reference to his shady post-grad bar ownership period. The university has accepted Cuban's money, and in 2017 took $5 million and opened the Mark Cuban Center for Sports Media and Technology (which I understand is primarily interested in VR/AR). You've got to be a pretty awful person for a university to not take your cash.

All that said, Ernie Pyle is very important to the journalism department and its alumni. Leaving Ernie Pyle Hall caused an uproar (as did the merger generally), and there was committee formed specifically for the purposes of remembering Pyle. One of the cooler remembrances is the Ernie Pyle Scholars. IU recruits some of the best high school journalists across the nation, giving them full rides in his name. A number of these students have went on to win the Hearst awards (the Heisman Trophy of college journalism).

Thanks Bill, I'm speaking out of frustration as an IUB adjunct whose school is now a department of, and largely ignored by its new parent school.

19. Likes:

BillDoran (06-16-2019)

From Wikipedia:

Ralph Waldo Barnes (June 14, 1899 – November 17, 1940) was an American journalist from Oregon, best known as a foreign correspondent in Europe during the 1930s.

Early life and education:

Barnes was born in Salem, Oregon, on June 14, 1899 to Edward Talbot Barnes and Mabel Nancy Baker Barnes. He graduated from Salem High School in 1917, and that summer he began attending St. John's Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin. In the fall of 1918 he enrolled at Willamette University in Salem, but he had to interrupt his studies when his military reserve unit was called to Camp MacArthur in Waco, Texas for training. Barnes returned to Salem and received his bachelor's degree in history from Willamette in 1922. After earning his master's degree in economics from Harvard University, he returned to Salem and married his longtime sweetheart, Esther Parounagian, a 1923 Willamette graduate.

Career:

In 1924, Barnes was hired by the New York Herald Tribune. His first foreign correspondent assignment was in Paris. While assigned to Paris, in 1926, he interviewed Gertrude Ederle upon the completion of her historic swim across the English Channel, and in 1927, he interviewed Charles Lindbergh after he completed the first solo transatlantic flight. In 1930, the Herald sent Barnes to Rome, where he reported on the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini. In 1931, he became the paper's Moscow correspondent. He became known for reporting stories the Soviet regime did not want publicized, unlike Walter Duranty of The New York Times, who was sympathetic to the Soviet government. In 1935, Barnes transferred to Berlin, where he reported on the Nazi regime despite its censorship. After the German invasion of Poland, and the German invasion of France and the Low Countries, Barnes concluded that Germany would next attack the Soviet Union, despite the 1939 Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. The Nazi government expelled Barnes from Germany after the Tribune published the story.

Death and legacy:

On November 17, 1940, on his way to cover Mussolini's invasion of Greece, Barnes was killed along with three Royal Air Force crew members when his plane crashed in Yugoslavia. Upon his death, reporters Leland Stowe of the Herald Tribune, William L. Shirer of Columbia Broadcasting, and William H. Stoneman of the Chicago Daily News saluted Barnes and his achievements. Barnes was the first war correspondent killed during World War II. In 1943, a Liberty ship was christened the SS Ralph Barnes in his honor. Barnes was buried in the Florence American Cemetery in Italy.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

A journalist is murdered in Russia every week some believe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lled_in_Russia

It's still one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Other famous reporters who died in WWII:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...g_World_War_II

More famous WWII Correspondents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Shirer
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-24-2019 at 02:51 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

North (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    A journalist is murdered in Russia every week some believe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lled_in_Russia

It's still one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Other famous reporters who died in WWII:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...g_World_War_II

More famous WWII Correspondents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L._Shirer
    Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" was a must-read for my generation.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-26-2019),Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" was a must-read for my generation.
    I still haven't read it. Need to, and his "War Correspondent" novel before that. My MOS's in the military were 71Q and 72R, at the time, those were Photojournalist and Broadcast Journalist, both under the Public Affairs branch. Those MOS numbers have since changed.

Turn Off Ads?