Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 6/6/2019 Reds at Cardinals DAY GAME

Re: 6/6/2019 Reds at Cardinals DAY GAME

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think I had talked myself into 90+ wins....like 91, 92
    they only need to go 63-38 to finish the season with 91 wins.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think I had talked myself into 90+ wins....like 91, 92
    Reds lost 95 last year. It was not a mirage or an accident. They are coming back from oblivion. Give it time to get better, they are headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I know Lorenzen has his fans on here, but if I was David Bell, I'd never put Lorenzen in a close game. He's prone to the HR and his fastball has little movement at times. He longs to play in the field. Let him, please let him because he can turn a close game into a loss often, or so it seems. Tough loss and now they're back to 5 games over .500.
    yep. let him stay in the field. his freakish body building makes me think he fancies himself as mr. slugger rather than mr. pitcher. muscle bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are many aspects of this team that need work. It is not a competition as to which area is worst. Not sure why that’s a useful issue.

If you’re going to compete against top competition, you are going to face tough, tight games. You can’t have middle relievers throwing the late innings.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Of course it's not a competition but focusing on a part of the team that hasn't been bad at all and ignoring the major issue would be unwise. IMO they should just swallow their pride and move on from anyone with any value on a short deal and build the farm. Nobody wants to hear that but they dont have the assets nessecary to make enough moves to compete this year. That's what people were saying when they made that Dodgers trade and they were right. Trading assets to barely compete for one season makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    This sucks. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Of course it's not a competition but focusing on a part of the team that hasn't been bad at all and ignoring the major issue would be unwise. IMO they should just swallow their pride and move on from anyone with any value on a short deal and build the farm. Nobody wants to hear that but they dont have the assets nessecary to make enough moves to compete this year. That's what people were saying when they made that Dodgers trade and they were right. Trading assets to barely compete for one season makes little sense.
    If they start selling off players this year then that's one thing I can put to bed forever in reds baseball. Cuz if they do that that just proves that the reds don't even care about winning as an organization
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    If they start selling off players this year then that's one thing I can put to bed forever in reds baseball. Cuz if they do that that just proves that the reds don't even care about winning as an organization
    Do you want a perennial contender or a team that would be lucky to finish. 500 this year and then back to 90+ losses the next few after that. I think they could possibly compete by next year if they handle this season properly. The reason we are even having this conversation is because they have failed to do that going back to the Todd Frazier debacle when they held onto him too long and many others as well. This team has a tiny percentage chance of even competing for the second wild card this year and to me that's not worth being awful again starting next year.

8. Likes:

Alabama (06-06-2019)

Reds are 8-13 in one run games. 2-4 in extra inning games. The bullpen is very often the decisive factor in these types of games. Overall bullpen ERA doesn’t tell the story. It’s whether you can win the close ones.

The answer to this problem is not that the offense is also a problem. The answer is to devote more resources to the pen, an area that Reds have not emphasized sufficiently.

10. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (06-06-2019),Kingspoint (06-06-2019)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I know Lorenzen has his fans on here, but if I was David Bell, I'd never put Lorenzen in a close game. He's prone to the HR and his fastball has little movement at times. He longs to play in the field. Let him, please let him because he can turn a close game into a loss often, or so it seems. Tough loss and now they're back to 5 games over .500.
    He's Ondrusek 2.0. Looks the part, throws hard, but ultimately his fastball is too straight and too often in the heart of the zone.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6/6/2019 Reds at Cardinals DAY GAME

That game sucked. Cardinals base running won this game. Lorenzen bleh

Focus Disco

Swing the bat and protect smh

Bad Loss
    Last edited by Ironman92; 06-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds are 8-13 in one run games. 2-4 in extra inning games. The bullpen is very often the decisive factor in these types of games. Overall bullpen ERA doesn’t tell the story. It’s whether you can win the close ones.

The answer to this problem is not that the offense is also a problem. The answer is to devote more resources to the pen, an area that Reds have not emphasized sufficiently.
    Who to pitch in leverage sutuations. When the Veterans aren't getting it done, it's time for a change. I hope Bell isn't married to certain guys in certain situations, even though successful bullpens have always said they became good when everyone knew their roles. But, when the roles aren't getting it done, which they aren't, then the roles have to change. It's the first week of June and a perfect time to redefine the roles.

Iglesias doesn't have to close.

Would like to see Bowman given a chance for higher leverage situations. Amir deserves a chance to be the closer along with a rope long enough for him to fail at it three times before deciding he isn't succeeding at it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    And now it's off to the City of Brotherly Shove...
    Jay Bruce awaits.
    Go Gators!

16. Likes:

Kc61 (06-06-2019)

Do you want a perennial contender or a team that would be lucky to finish. 500 this year and then back to 90+ losses the next few after that. I think they could possibly compete by next year if they handle this season properly. The reason we are even having this conversation is because they have failed to do that going back to the Todd Frazier debacle when they held onto him too long and many others as well. This team has a tiny percentage chance of even competing for the second wild card this year and to me that's not worth being awful again starting next year.
    You are exactly right. Rolando and a lot of the guys on this site see it differently though, they would rather be 500 than use those short term assets to build for the future. It’s shortsighted but it’s also just being a fan.
    It’s why a lot of folks here hate me. My only goal is to win the title. This group is not capable of that. Trade off the short term era even at the expense of wins this year. Plus we will have a better draft pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Throw out the 1-8 start, and that's exactly what this bunch is.

I've been frustrated with that at times, but before the season started, when asked what I would consider progress, I think I said 81-81 with young players continuing to develop.
    I would agree but which young players are developing? Castillo, Garret, and Senzel? 500 would be awesome if we were a going team full of inexperienced guys, but we aren’t. And that’s why this sucks.
    This team isn’t young at all

This team reminds me of the 1986-88 Reds. Especially 1987-88. So much frustration

19. Likes:

JFLegal (06-06-2019)

To quote Denny Green, "They are who we thought they were!" That's what it appears to be --- a .500 team at best.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    To quote Denny Green, "They are who we thought they were!" That's what it appears to be --- a .500 team at best.
    I agree. Especially with the at best part as this team hasn’t been 500 since the 2nd game of the season

Turn Off Ads?