Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Draft Hot Takes

2019 Cincinnati Draft Hot Takes

Observations

New group doing the drafting this season, and we saw some differences. Chief among them:

-- A focus on college arms with upside. (Which is odd.)

-- Production mattered, at least in terms of K:BB among college hitters

-- Spin rate mattered, as did velocity. Kind of.

-- Lots of low 90's starters.

-- Lots of high 90s relievers.

Hot Takes

-- Lodolo will be the first to the majors. That's not much of a hot take, I know. That said, 18th rounder Jason Ruffcorn might race him there.

-- Tyler Callihan will lead all picks in career WAR-- even as a part-time DH. Rece Hinds will hit a lot of homers, but the Reds will have to balance that with his poor BA and Ks. Samone Peters with more tools.

-- Eric Yang will be at least a part-time starter and among the better evaluations in the draft. He's Ryan Hanigan with more pop and patience.

-- Ashton Creel will make the majors as at least a fourth OF and may be more. Lots of intriguing tools there.

-- 35th rounder Tanner Cooper will get at least a cup of coffee, if he signs. Perhaps more.

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-06-2019),M2 (06-06-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Draft Hot Takes

No love for the Puerto Rican’s?

I am very intrigued by Yan Contreras.

Also, I think Ivan Johnson is going to hit very well in the minors and is traded for a quality major leaguer in the offseason prior to 2021.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2019),wolfboy (06-10-2019)

In an underwhelming draft class I think this draft rivals the Senzel/Trammell draft as one of the Reds more impressive draft hauls. MLBPipeline has Lodolo/Hinds/Callihan as 3 first-round talents. That's a nice pull for a team with no compensation or competitive balance picks.

7. Likes:

Alabama (06-06-2019),Benihana (06-06-2019),Edd Roush (06-06-2019),Gallen5862 (06-06-2019),JCM11 (06-06-2019),malcontent (06-06-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-06-2019),redsmetz (06-06-2019),Tuff Nut (06-06-2019)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    In an underwhelming draft class I think this draft rivals the Senzel/Trammell draft as one of the Reds more impressive draft hauls. MLBPipeline has Lodolo/Hinds/Callihan as 3 first-round talents. That's a nice pull for a team with no compensation or competitive balance picks.
    Agreed. Impressive first 3 picks considering no comp picks. Also very intrigued by the PR kids drafted on day 3. Lot of upside there.

Give me Lodolo in the rotation behind Castillo, Gray and Mahle in early 2021.

9. Likes:

Alabama (06-06-2019)

The five names that will make or break this draft:

Lodolo
    Hinds
    Callihan
    Johnson
    Contreras

Everyone else is just noise. IMO that's as good of a top 5 as the Reds have selected since...2007? (Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Lotzkar, Carroll)
    I like the new direction of the scouting department.
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

Alabama (06-06-2019),Rece Tyler (06-06-2019)

My hot take is not on the picks, but on the evaluations by said experts on tv, print media etc.

Nearly every player chosen in the first 10 rounds has a current or former player comp, and nearly every time this was mentioned, it was followed by "but even/maybe more...".

It was exhausting to listen to.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    My hot take is not on the picks, but on the evaluations by said experts on tv, print media etc.

Nearly every player chosen in the first 10 rounds has a current or former player comp, and nearly every time this was mentioned, it was followed by "but even/maybe more...".

It was exhausting to listen to.
    I thought the TV coverage in particular was cringe-worthy. They only complement players, never question picks or focus on weaknesses. It's like it's the players' parents talking at all times. Give us some balanced coverage, have some hot takes, make it worth watching. The production quality was also pretty poor.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

M2 (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I thought the TV coverage in particular was cringe-worthy. They only complement players, never question picks or focus on weaknesses. It's like it's the players' parents talking at all times. Give us some balanced coverage, have some hot takes, make it worth watching. The production quality was also pretty poor.
    With regard to the production quality: how many people watched that coverage? A couple dozen?

16. Likes:

Kinsm (06-06-2019),Rece Tyler (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    No love for the Puerto Rican’s?
    Love the gamble.

In a draft as seemingly underwhelming as this one, that's a smart choice, IMO.

On another, unrelated note, anyone else notice how few pitchers they drafted who actually throw in the mid-90s?

Is that a new focus, or is it happenstance?

Wonder if the emphasis on seasoned college players is intended, in part, to improve minor league teams W-L records.

MLB had Cincinnati's draft come in at #7.

Cincinnati opened by landing the consensus best pitcher in Texas Christian left-hander Nick Lodolo (first), who has three solid pitches and control to match. After that, the Reds stocked up on power with high school sluggers Rece Hinds (second) and Tyler Callihan (third) and Alabama-Birmingham right-hander Graham Ashcraft, who can reach 98 mph with his fastball. Chipola (Fla.) JC second baseman Ivan Johnson (fourth) and Grand Canyon outfielder Quin Cotton (eighth) have the offensive potential to exceed their Draft status.

20. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2019),Gallen5862 (06-06-2019),redsmetz (06-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Wonder if the emphasis on seasoned college players is intended, in part, to improve minor league teams W-L records.
    i would hope the win-loss records of the minor league teams is the furthest thing away from their minds when drafting players. it's all about finding a way to eventually help the big league club. yes, we all know most draft picks are "filler" for minor league rosters, but you also never know who is going to break through.

but anyway, if the reds are drafting players even partially based on improving the win-loss records of the minor league teams, i would be very disappointed. good win-loss records for the minor league teams will come naturally if you draft well.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 06-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Love the gamble.

In a draft as seemingly underwhelming as this one, that's a smart choice, IMO.

On another, unrelated note, anyone else notice how few pitchers they drafted who actually throw in the mid-90s?

Is that a new focus, or is it happenstance?
    I think it says more about the draft than anything

In a "normal" draft year, does Lodolo go in the top 15? Probably a fair question.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hot take - Rece Hinds' fashion sense is so advanced it will cause low self-esteem among his teammates. Yet it will also touch off a nouveau couture wave in Billings when he plays there. Afterward, the phrase "you're looking very Montana" will become widely used in fashion circles.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-06-2019),Rece Tyler (06-06-2019),redsmetz (06-06-2019),RiverRat13 (06-06-2019),Spanky (06-06-2019),TRF (06-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?