Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 6-8-19

Re: 6-8-19

Let's get a little run support please.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Tanner Roark’s success this year is built on a low HR allowance rate.

He’s giving up a lot of line drives, his WHIP of 1.40 is at the top of acceptable range for starters.

He’s a veteran and crafty, does well with men on base. Knows what he’s doing out there.

But don’t be surprised if there is some regression in his ERA.
    We've seen this movie before, most recently with Mahle...figuring he could work the curve and change into his mix later in the game.

I mean, Bruce saw five fastballs. Who does call the pitches, anyway?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Van Meter has some nice swings.....wish a few more would fall in

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    We've seen this movie before, most recently with Mahle...figuring he could work the curve and change into his mix later in the game.

You'd think that would be the one guy we'd know how to pitch to.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

malcontent (06-08-2019),Red Raindog (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You'd think that would be the one guy we'd know how to pitch to.
    Bruce is in one of his Hot Streaks™.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Feel like Winker keeps driving a lot of pitches into the ground towards 2nd base like he did there
    Ground ball rate is 48.7% of batted balls, higher than last year. Pulling about 37% of batted balls, same as last year.

On pulled batted balls his OPS is .719. BABIP of .255.

Needs to elevate and use the whole field.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.

I have more confidence in Roark at the plate than I do Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Jeesh the expectations? Like the ones for Senzel? Who’s probably not ready.
    Yes exactly like everyone's high expectations of Senzel as a rookie.

And IMO Senzel is/was not ready especially on defense which his -4 drs, also his negative baserunning, plus needs improvement vs RH pitching and strikeouts too much which IMO all should have been corrected in the minors.

It is a lost season so him learning in the majors no longer bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Yes exactly like everyone's high expectations of Senzel as a rookie.

And IMO Senzel is/was not ready especially on defense which his -4 drs, also his negative baserunning, plus needs improvement vs RH pitching and strikeouts too much which IMO all should have been corrected in the minors.

It is a lost season so him learning in the majors no longer bothers me.
    He didn't strike out like this in the minors, what was there to correct? He's about to turn 24, he's been ready to be challenged for a while.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He didn't strike out like this in the minors, what was there to correct? He's about to turn 24, he's been ready to be challenged for a while.
    He was also a huge upgrade compared to anyone else they had. Better on offense and better on defense. I don't get the objection to Senzel. He's the best thing that has happened this year besides maybe the absence of Bailey and Finnegan in the rotation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-08-2019),RedsfaninMT (06-08-2019),Tom Servo (06-08-2019)

Thought Votto had another hit but Segura playing up the middle and made a nice stop
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Would love to see a little old school baseball. Not necessarily sac bunts but just some run manufacturing. Steals, take some extra bases, productive at bats with less than two, etc. Not just get a man on, swing for the light poles, k, groundout, pop out, etc.
    Got your wish with the Reds taking the lead on a double play. However, they fell into a deficit in the bottom of the 1st, even though Senzel made a great play to get the lead-off hitter as Roark was afraid to make the hitters put the ball in play so the defenders had a chance to help him. He walked a righty batter with two out, his 2nd walk of the inning, bringing up red hot Jay Bruce and was lucky to get a bad call strike and a check swing strike for 0-2, but still couldn't get him out as he got the two RBIs with 2 out.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Mahle is young and still has upside.

Roark is a veteran and is more likely to pitch to his baseball card.

I wonder what David Bell's vision of what the Reds should look like is, specifically on offense, and if the front office plans to work with him towards creating it given the impending free agency of several players. We know his general philosophy on the starters and the bullpen but if he has one on hitting we haven't seen it yet because most of these guys can't get hits.

Mostly I find myself thinking about how much better they might look with Realmuto, the one who got away...

18. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-08-2019)

I wonder what David Bell's vision of what the Reds should look like is, specifically on offense, and if the front office plans to work with him towards creating it given the impending free agency of several players. We know his general philosophy on the starters and the bullpen but if he has one on hitting we haven't seen it yet because most of these guys can't get hits.

Mostly I find myself thinking about how much better they might look with Realmuto, the one who got away...
    We do know that Bell likes to platoon.

So in positions where Reds don’t have a “star” type player, I’d expect to see more platoons in the future.

Not an accident that Reds had Realmuto discussions, he would have made a difference.

20. Likes:

Big Klu (06-08-2019),CrackerJack (06-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?