Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What does that have to do with the Men's U.S. Soccer team. They aren't tuning into those games to watch the U.S. Men, unless I read it wrong.
    Uh, what? The overwhelming majority of the games on that list are US Men’s Soccer team matches.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol. Wow.

By the way, the most watched soccer match in US tv history featured Messi. Argentina vs Germany World Cup Final.

Christiano Ronaldo (the Portuguese player that was in the group stage match against the USMNT in 2014 they drew 25 million American viewers).

The English Premier League, which has matches on broadcast television (NBC) every weekend and is becoming increasingly popular in the United States.

This post explains your ignorance on this subject.
    That post explains your refusal to understand what the casual soccer fan thinks or what a casual soccer fan is, or that most people in the U.S., unless they have ties to another nation, such as speaking its language, could care less about soccer.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-14-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The Timbers have had unbelievable success since they returned, but most people around here could care less, even with it being shoved down their throats by the local media and politicians.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

There are a lot of people of foreign nationality in the U.S. who are tuning into the World Cup. That's the majority of those viewers.
    This is nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

The Timbers have had unbelievable success since they returned, but most people around here could care less, even with it being shoved down their throats by the local media and politicians.
    In comparison people just flock to the US women’s professional league.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you score a goal in the World Cup, you deserve to celebrate it.
    The perspective I've heard criticizing the celebrations that hasn't really been given enough attention, and may have consequences down the road for the USWNT is protecting your players to avoid losing anyone to injury for the rest of the tournament. This was game one of a long tournament. You don't want to lose a key player to a silly injury when the game is already well in hand. The other thing you don't want to do is antagonize your opponents to the point where someone decides taking a red card is worth making sure Alex Morgan is done for the tournament. As it is, we may see games now where teams may decide that hacking away at Alex Morgan and risking reds or yellows (which refs often loathe to give out in a World Cup) may be preferable to having her score 5 and watch her count them off on you.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The perspective I've heard criticizing the celebrations that hasn't really been given enough attention, and may have consequences down the road for the USWNT is protecting your players to avoid losing anyone to injury for the rest of the tournament. This was game one of a long tournament. You don't want to lose a key player to a silly injury when the game is already well in hand. The other thing you don't want to do is antagonize your opponents to the point where someone decides taking a red card is worth making sure Alex Morgan is done for the tournament. As it is, we may see games now where teams may decide that hacking away at Alex Morgan and risking reds or yellows (which refs often loathe to give out in a World Cup) may be preferable to having her score 5 and watch her count them off on you.
    I suspect teams were already well aware that Alex Morgan scores lots of goals. And if counting on your fingers is antagonizing, then so is standing upright and drawing breath.
    Last edited by M2; 06-14-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-17-2019)

Messi and Ronaldo are the world's highest paid and most recognizable athletes. They're all over your TV. Every kid who's played youth soccer over the past decade knows who they are.

Here's some 2018 Gallup Poll numbers on soccer's relative popularity (it's now #4) - https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/0...g-us-spectator

Most fans of the sport watch non-U.S. leagues (Europe, Mexico and Brazil for the most part). World Cups draw in the more casual fan, and the U.S. women generally go deep in those tournaments, so that draws a fair amount of attention. Yet I watched the U.S. lose to Belgium in the 2014 World Cup with a few thousand people at City Hall Plaza in Boston.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-14-2019)

I suspect teams were already well aware that Alex Morgan scores lots of goals. And if counting on your fingers in antagonizing, then so is standing upright and drawing breath.
    Alex Morgan shouldn't have been in the game much into the 2nd half. It wasn't worth risking injury to her.

I have no problem with a player wanting to score goals in the WC, even against lesser competition. You work four years for that opportunity. However, if you are a vet like Morgan, and already have your hat trick, I think goals 4 and 5 were a little over kill, especially against outmatched competition.

I suspect teams were already well aware that Alex Morgan scores lots of goals. And if counting on your fingers is antagonizing, then so is standing upright and drawing breath.
    Well, yes, we both know there are quite a few players in the men's WC (Pepe, Sergio Ramos), for whom standing upright and drawing breath may very well be antagonizing enough to draw a studs up tackle or an elbow to the head, or in the case of Luis Suarez, a chomp on the shoulder. I've seen Women's games get just as physical as men's games. So yes, I think the criticism that they should have subbed off their starting striker and maybe thrown on an extra defender or two to avoid injury is legitimate. And yes, if I were Jill Ellis, I probably would have asked them to tone down the celebrations and remember that they still have work to do.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Well, yes, we both know there are quite a few players in the men's WC (Pepe, Sergio Ramos), for whom standing upright and drawing breath may very well be antagonizing enough to draw a studs up tackle or an elbow to the head, or in the case of Luis Suarez, a chomp on the shoulder.
    I read those three names and all I can think is how large their trophy cases must be. One them boasts the most international wins ever.

I've seen Women's games get just as physical as men's games. So yes, I think the criticism that they should have subbed off their starting striker and maybe thrown on an extra defender or two to avoid injury is legitimate. And yes, if I were Jill Ellis, I probably would have asked them to tone down the celebrations and remember that they still have work to do.
    I'll buy the case for subbing out Morgan (though I'd have done like for like). Then again, Carli Lloyd and Christen Press came off the bench in that game, so it's not like Thailand was going to get any respite.

That last part strikes me as applying amateur standards to a pro game. Their job is to go out and play a full 90. The celebrations were toned down. No one went all Brandi Chastain. They seemed to get exactly where they are and what job they still have to do. This is the apex of their sport. If you're not appreciative of how much every goal at this level means, you're not fully engaged.

USA up 3 - 0 over Chili at the half.

One of the things I really appreciate about the women's game is they fight to stay upright and get right up after they're fouled. Well, except for when Brazil's playing.

I read those three names and all I can think is how large their trophy cases must be. One them boasts the most international wins ever.

I'll buy the case for subbing out Morgan (though I'd have done like for like). Then again, Carli Lloyd and Christen Press came off the bench in that game, so it's not like Thailand was going to get any respite.

That last part strikes me as applying amateur standards to a pro game. Their job is to go out and play a full 90. The celebrations were toned down. No one went all Brandi Chastain. They seemed to get exactly where they are and what job they still have to do. This is the apex of their sport. If you're not appreciative of how much every goal at this level means, you're not fully engaged.
    I agree, I didn't think the celebrations were particularly elaborate or over the top in any way. Seeing as how Ellis played against Chile, letting Morgan stay on for the whole 90 made more sense imo. Basically every important player in the US lineup has played between 1.5 and 3.5 halves of football after the first two matches.
    Naeher of course leads as the GK, but the only starting player who's come close to starting and finishing each game was Abby Dahlkemper who was subbed out in the 82nd minute yesterday. Everyone else either played the whole game Tuesday and rested yesterday (Morgan, Rapinoe, Ohara) or played a variety of minutes in 2nd half on Tueday and played part or all of the game on Sunday (Lloyd, Press, Ertz, Horan.) The third case was apparently a special one where Becky Saurbrunn wasn't quite ready to go on Tuesday (forcing Ertz to start in her place) but was good to go for the duration on Sunday.

So after two WWC matches, the team is about as well balanced between rested and game ready as I can imagine any team being top to bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

17. Likes:

IslandRed (06-17-2019),M2 (06-17-2019),North (06-19-2019)

USA up 1 - 0 at the half.

The Swedes just Malachi Crunched Carli Lloyd and she took them both out.

And Heath with a golazo. US 2-0.

20. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?