Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

A shame what happened to Deadspin in the meantime (he said very sarcastically).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    A shame what happened to Deadspin in the meantime (he said very sarcastically).
    Why? I read very little of them, but they seem in lock step with today's in-your-face society.
    Last edited by North; 05-04-2020 at 11:46 AM.

They never had a legitimate case. Their compensation was collectively bargained, and was built around a lot of guarantees....guarantees that were not part of the men's collectively bargained deal. After the fact and subsequent success, they realized they would have been far better off seeking a deal similar to the men's deal which was built around a much higher risk/reward model, and tried to claim sexual discrimination. If they did not have success, and still received all of the built in guarantees, I am guessing they would not be lining up to return some of their compensation. It just does not work that way. Now they are claiming they were not allowed to negotiate a deal similar to the men's deal? How does that make sense? You negotiate a deal you feel is fair or you simply do not agree to a deal.

Phew, thank god those uppity women lost their case.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Indeed

What? Why are you upset? It's pretty clear why they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    What? Why are you upset? It's pretty clear why they lost.
    Where did I say I was upset?

Just making fun of dudes who are celebrating this.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The decision is bad news from the standpoint that U.S. Soccer is run by a pack of vermin who need to be purged. This might allow them to stick around.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

IslandRed (05-04-2020)

Where did I say I was upset?

Just making fun of dudes who are celebrating this.
    do not know anyone celebrating it beyond the legal perspective.....if I am not mistaken, even the men's soccer team supported their effort. I am glad the judge made a decision based on the facts because to the Women's team credit, they were up big in the arena of public opinion. I think it will be very interesting to see which path they choose in the next contract they negotiate. Will they choose to seek a contract with many guarantees as they did this most recent contract, or will they seek a more merit based contract similar to the men's contract?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    do not know anyone celebrating it beyond the legal perspective.....if I am not mistaken, even the men's soccer team supported their effort. I am glad the judge made a decision based on the facts because to the Women's team credit, they were up big in the arena of public opinion. I think it will be very interesting to see which path they choose in the next contract they negotiate. Will they choose to seek a contract with many guarantees as they did this most recent contract, or will they seek a more merit based contract similar to the men's contract?
    Actually, I'm happy they lost this case is because one of the biggest reasons people thought they deserved to be paid more than men was because of their "success." Women's World Cup is terribly competitive because many countries around the world don't give their women the opportunities that our women get. Just look at the round of 16. Every team that was in it has a great record with women. China, Nigeria, Cameroon all finished 3rd in their division and were added. And now they want to add more god awful teams? We're supposed to win the Women's World Cup just like our basketball team is supposed to win the Gold Medal in Basketball. We're acting as if it's some great accomplishment to just beat 4 other teams in the world for a Gold Medal.

Actually, I'm happy they lost this case is because one of the biggest reasons people thought they deserved to be paid more than men was because of their "success." Women's World Cup is terribly competitive because many countries around the world don't give their women the opportunities that our women get. Just look at the round of 16. Every team that was in it has a great record with women. China, Nigeria, Cameroon all finished 3rd in their division and were added. And now they want to add more god awful teams? We're supposed to win the Women's World Cup just like our basketball team is supposed to win the Gold Medal in Basketball. We're acting as if it's some great accomplishment to just beat 4 other teams in the world for a Gold Medal.
    Wow, that's a bad take.

Just to introduce some facts, only eight nations have won the men's World Cup in 21 editions. The elite level of international soccer never has been a large group, but it's larger in the women's game. We just happen to be the Brazil of the women's game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I am not against anyone getting as much money as they can get. My issue was I felt they were being dishonest in their claim, and the media was carrying the water for them. Naturally, the emotional case they put forward in the public created a great deal of support from the public. I think if anyone logically looked at the real facts in the case, they would see Women's soccer was trying to have their cake and eat it too.....that is if they did not have the level of success they achieved, they would not be offering to return the negotiated guarantees in their contract.

Honestly, I have a very similar take on things like pro players under contract holding out....or the Scottie Pippen situation highlighted in The Last Dance. Everyone walked away from that episode claiming Bulls owner ship was in the wrong for not ripping up Pippen's contract and paying him more or his current market value. I just do not understand that thought process. Sure they could have did that if they felt it would benefit the organization long term, but a contract is a contract. Reinsdorf even cautioned Pippen about locking himself in that long contract. Again, I feel the same way every year when NFL players hold out while they are under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am not against anyone getting as much money as they can get. My issue was I felt they were being dishonest in their claim, and the media was carrying the water for them. Naturally, the emotional case they put forward in the public created a great deal of support from the public. I think if anyone logically looked at the real facts in the case, they would see Women's soccer was trying to have their cake and eat it too.....that is if they did not have the level of success they achieved, they would not be offering to return the negotiated guarantees in their contract.

Honestly, I have a very similar take on things like pro players under contract holding out....or the Scottie Pippen situation highlighted in The Last Dance. Everyone walked away from that episode claiming Bulls owner ship was in the wrong for not ripping up Pippen's contract and paying him more or his current market value. I just do not understand that thought process. Sure they could have did that if they felt it would benefit the organization long term, but a contract is a contract. Reinsdorf even cautioned Pippen about locking himself in that long contract. Again, I feel the same way every year when NFL players hold out while they are under contract.
    I don't understand the guarantees vs. bonus argument you are trying to make though. Good for the women for getting more built in money into their contract, they just upped the floor, that doesn't mean you have to lower the ceiling. 100% commission type models are just a risk shifting mechanism so that the employer doesn't take any and the employee absorbs it all, it doesn't mean that you make less money based on your performance.

Turn Off Ads?