Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Sauerbraun and Dahlkemper won’t get the recognition, but they are as big a reason why they won as anyone else.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-10-2019),M2 (07-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Scroll down for match stats...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48897032

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Not at all. I appreciate their athleticism, in context. Just no emotional investment. Like most americans I only follow them at the WWC.
    I try not to follow them when I see them walking around my neighborhood.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Chip R (07-08-2019)

Rose Lavelle is my cousin's daughter. The whole family has been nuts over Rose both in the World Cup, as well as through her college and professional career. I think over 100 of us were at the game at Nippert.

As one who does genealogy, I've been connecting with family members far and wide. It's been fun letting them know they're also related to Rose. One second cousin mentioned that she was a distant cousin to Rose and I had to explain that "second cousin, once removed" isn’t that distant. They day of the final, I was in St. Paul and had coffee with a 3rd cousin I'd connected with and his daughter. His parents had actually emigrated from Ireland in the 1950's; his dad being my mom (and Rose's grandpa's 2nd cousin). He asked me to explain to his daughter, herself a college athlete, how she was related - very easy - 4th cousins.

A very distant cousin emailed me to get a breakdown on the ancestry because her son-in-law has the newspaper in Ireland where my great-grandparents came from, interested in doing a story on Rose in the paper. This has been both fun and also very surreal, to say the least.

My own grandson, born on Rose's 21st birthday, is nuts about Rose. He even has an autographed photo signed to "my little cousin."
    Last edited by redsmetz; 07-10-2019 at 06:47 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

8. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (07-10-2019),Chip R (07-10-2019),IslandRed (07-10-2019),Kingspoint (07-10-2019),M2 (07-10-2019),paintmered (07-10-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-10-2019),RichRed (07-10-2019)

With all due respect to Rapino and Morgan, I felt when Lavelle was on the field, she was the best American player. I think Rapino gets a lot of the credit, and deservedly so, for making all the PK's she took, but I don't think she had quite the impact that Lavelle had. Same with Morgan, if you take out the Thailand game, she seem to struggle at times to get going. Although sometimes the hard work a forward puts in to draw penalties and occupy players goes unnoticed. Lavelle had the speed, creativity, and all presence that you see from the stars in the game.

In reality, I think the depth made players like Morgan, Rapino, Heath, Lloyd, and Press pretty interchangeable. I think the most important players to the team were the likes of Lavelle, Dunn, Ohara, and Sauerbrunn.

One think I am interested to see how it plays out is the popularity of the USWNT right now. We see this every WC cycle where there is a ton of interest in woman's soccer only to see it dissipate a few months after the WC. Will someone be able build upon the success?

10. Likes:

Chip R (07-10-2019),M2 (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    One think I am interested to see how it plays out is the popularity of the USWNT right now. We see this every WC cycle where there is a ton of interest in woman's soccer only to see it dissipate a few months after the WC. Will someone be able build upon the success?
    I believe the Olympics are next year so interest should spike again. But it's natural for people to lose interest in a sport after a major tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-10-2019),redsmetz (07-10-2019)

With all due respect to Rapino and Morgan, I felt when Lavelle was on the field, she was the best American player. I think Rapino gets a lot of the credit, and deservedly so, for making all the PK's she took, but I don't think she had quite the impact that Lavelle had. Same with Morgan, if you take out the Thailand game, she seem to struggle at times to get going. Although sometimes the hard work a forward puts in to draw penalties and occupy players goes unnoticed. Lavelle had the speed, creativity, and all presence that you see from the stars in the game.

In reality, I think the depth made players like Morgan, Rapino, Heath, Lloyd, and Press pretty interchangeable. I think the most important players to the team were the likes of Lavelle, Dunn, Ohara, and Sauerbrunn.

I think Sauerbraun and Dahlkemper may have had the most impact of any player on the team. Dahlkemper didn't play her best game against England, but the 2 of them deserve a lot of the credit for them winning this thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

14. Likes:

bucksfan2 (07-10-2019),M2 (07-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I believe the Olympics are next year so interest should spike again. But it's natural for people to lose interest in a sport after a major tournament.
    The Olympics are tough, especially since they are in Japan. The games won't be played in the middle of the day, or in the evening. Most of the games will be played overnight, and NBC has shown that they will play the team events live.

Lavelle was fantastic all tournament. She was great going forward and made great decisions and let Ertz sink deep.

I didn’t think Morgan played well at all really. Her passing was just off basically all tournament.

I agree with MWM though that Dahlkemper and Sauerbraun would be my MVPs. It was a dominant defensive performance and I don’t remember they ever being out of position. Even the goal they gave up was a great pass and finish and a bit fluky.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Lavelle was fantastic all tournament. She was great going forward and made great decisions and let Ertz sink deep.

I didn’t think Morgan played well at all really. Her passing was just off basically all tournament.

I agree with MWM though that Dahlkemper and Sauerbraun would be my MVPs. It was a dominant defensive performance and I don’t remember they ever being out of position. Even the goal they gave up was a great pass and finish and a bit fluky.
    Especially compared to what was expected. Every match, the US' center defense was rated as a cause for concern at least from the "intelligent" minds that I heard from.
    That they played as well as they did gets to how the US was so hard to score on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The Olympics are tough, especially since they are in Japan. The games won't be played in the middle of the day, or in the evening. Most of the games will be played overnight, and NBC has shown that they will play the team events live.
    I'm sure they will show them live but people can always watch them when they want to. I didn't get to see much of this year's World Cup because of work and other things. But I watched the final Monday night. If people are interested enough in watching this, they will find a way even if it isn't live.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Don’t think I’ve disliked an athlete as much as Megan Rapinoe in a long time. Horribly arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Don’t think I’ve disliked an athlete as much as Megan Rapinoe in a long time. Horribly arrogant.
    I categorically and emphatically disagree.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (07-14-2019),Chip R (07-15-2019),MWM (07-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I totally agree.... with M2 that is.
    Last edited by MWM; 07-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.

23. Likes:

Chip R (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yep, couldn’t love her more.

25. Likes:

Chip R (07-15-2019)

Turn Off Ads?