Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Federer told kids wearing Nadal gear he wouldn't sign for them.
    I’d be interested to hear the source of that, seems awfully out of character.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Have just done several searches on this with nothing even close coming up. Happy to be proved wrong.

Via tweets from people that were there when he did it. Been told it's pretty normal for him.

I can't give you the source, but it's from someone I've never known to be wrong, spends about 2000 hours a year for the last ten years involved with Professional tennis and flies to tournaments every year, communicating with friends from dozens of countries meeting them at various tournaments. There isn't a tournament where they aren't speaking with several who are there.

Roger has always acted "Swiss", what's-in-it-for-me. He did everything he could to avoid getting involved when Rafa spent years trying to get better conditions for players. All Roger had to do was help a little bit, but he forever did nothing, acted neutral, acted Swiss.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-16-2019 at 02:05 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Via tweets from people that were there when he did it. Been told it's pretty normal for him.

I can't give you the source, but it's from someone I've never known to be wrong, spends about 2000 hours a year for the last ten years involved with Professional tennis and flies to tournaments every year, communicating with friends from dozens of countries meeting them at various tournaments. There isn't a tournament where they aren't speaking with several who are there.

Roger has always acted "Swiss", what's-in-it-for-me. He did everything he could to avoid getting involved when Rafa spent years trying to get better conditions for players. All Roger had to do was help a little bit, but he forever did nothing, acted neutral, acted Swiss.
    Well count this as the first time I’ve ever heard that about Federer, someone who every sportsperson, pundit, commentator or journalist has said is one of the most humble, professional and accommodating sportsmen to ever have lived.

Well count this as the first time I’ve ever heard that about Federer, someone who every sportsperson, pundit, commentator or journalist has said is one of the most humble, professional and accommodating sportsmen to ever have lived.
    You were absolutely right.

I spoke to the source and our conversation was about sevral topics and it was Kurios, not Federer, who has told kids he won't sign if they are wearing Nadal gear.

The difference of opinion on helping the tennis players came from when they were both on the Council in 2012 and Rafa was trying to improve conditions for the players, while Federer, who has always avoided controversy, wanted to keep the status quo. Why not? It worked for him. Trying to improve conditions for the body of tennis players is swimming upstream. But, that was a difference of opinion on the Council. He and Rafa are good friends even if they don't hang out together. They work together in other ways to improve the sport's following.

I knew my source couldn't be wrong. It had to be me.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Don’t think I’ve disliked an athlete as much as Megan Rapinoe in a long time. Horribly arrogant.
    Of course I'm sure you're not surprised at the reaction from RZ over this.

If I cared at all about women's soccer I might agree but I will say that her using her sport as a platform for politics is wholly inappropriate

https://deadspin.com/you-re-not-stic...rts-1836413577

You’re Not Sticking To Sports When You Stick To Sports

When you’re talking about everyday politics like farm subsidy bills and ****, you have better odds of compartmentalizing it and keeping it isolated from discussions about whether or not the Twins can hang on to win their division. But when a President is screaming GO BACK TO AFRICA at citizen lawmakers and when lawmen are forcibly, GLEEFULLY ripping children away from their parents, and when Trump’s spokesghoul is coyly asking people to identify their race before her, there is no sanctuary from such problems, nor should there be. That is when the political stops being political and becomes a human crisis, one that should be denounced from every rooftop and one that spurs conversations that easily seep into every aspect of American living, including the field of play.

It’s perfectly natural to wonder aloud how having an openly racist President affects athletes, especially those of color and those who may have come here from elsewhere. That’s a sports story, one that a sports industry eager to tie sports to everything else would seemingly be eager to lap up. But I guess it’s just too serious to delve into for fans who would rather ignore all the bad **** because they tactily approve of it. It is NOT natural to forcibly choke that discussion off so that some dude with an American flag in his Twitter handle doesn’t get a burr in his ass about it.
    Sports isn't a safe space.

The women's world cup was a lot of fun, that plus a great Wimbledon has been the highlight of my summer when it comes to being a fan, if only the Reds were relevant I'd be in great shape. It's all a retreat but that doesn't mean it's not of the world.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

9. Likes:

Chip R (07-17-2019),Fil3232 (07-17-2019),M2 (07-17-2019)

Deadspin is the worst

11. Likes:

Chip R (07-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Of course I'm sure you're not surprised at the reaction from RZ over this.

If I cared at all about women's soccer I might agree but I will say that her using her sport as a platform for politics is wholly inappropriate
    Why?
    Would it be inappropriate to use her sport as a platform for a humanitarian cause she supports?
    Do you find it inappropriate for athletes to use their platform to thank God for all his blessings?

Why is politics specifically taboo?
    Any other subjects that are wholly inappropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

13. Likes:

Chip R (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Deadspin is the worst
    It's actually very good, sorry

The actual worst is Barstool, so not sure how you got confused being you're close to that situation
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (07-18-2019),Chip R (07-18-2019),dabvu2498 (07-18-2019),M2 (07-17-2019)

I think I've only seen about three Barstool articles. Also generally bad. They're more like third or fourth worst, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's actually very good, sorry

The actual worst is Barstool, so not sure how you got confused being you're close to that situation
    Barstool is the outhouse of humanity.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Barstool is the outhouse of humanity.
    Counterpoint: "Pardon My Take" may be the most consistently entertaining thing in sports media.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Counterpoint: "Pardon My Take" may be the most consistently entertaining thing in sports media.
    Is it a parody when your audience is PFT Commenter?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Judge throws out unequal pay claim made by US women's national team

"The U.S. women's national soccer team was dealt a legal blow Friday when a federal judge threw out their unequal pay claim in the more than $66 million lawsuit against the United States Soccer Federation.

U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner will allow the players' allegations of discriminatory hotel and flight accommodations, training support services and medical support services to stand.

The players, including co-captain Alex Morgan, who is personally named in the decision, alleged in their lawsuit that the United States Soccer Federation violated the Equal Pay Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Klausner disagreed on the former.

"[The] history of negotiations between the parties demonstrates that the [women's national team] rejected an offer to be paid under the same pay-to-play structure as the [men's national team], and that the WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for other benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players," he wrote. "Accordingly, Plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their [collective bargaining agreement] worse than the MNT CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT's pay-to-play structure when they themselves rejected such a structure."

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/j..._headlines_hed

Turn Off Ads?