Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Is Angry

Re: Pete Rose Is Angry

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Sucks to be baseball's all-time hit leader? You mean as opposed to being a fanatical Reds' fan on a message board?
    honestly what has being the all-time hit leader got him?
    Crazy Reds Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    honestly what has being the all-time hit leader got him?
    You know, having some bust of your head in a building in Cooperstown isn't the only thing to live for. I'd say he's made a pretty good living from that accomplishment. And just maybe he loved playing the same game we loved playing - he just happened to be one of the best ever and holds a record that may never be broken because PED's won't help a person hit a baseball. He didn't quit gambling because he enjoys it. He's true to himself and is living with the consequences. That doesn't mean it sucks to be him or that he's got nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    None, but that is a silly qualifier. The Black Sox were banned specifically for throwing games to benefit a gambling syndicate, which prompted the placard that has been in every clubhouse ever since, and which Pete ignored. Sucks to be him.
    Umm, the point is that the HOF didn't exist until 17 years later than the 1919 Sox were gone from baseball. No official rule existed for them to be banned from the HOF, it just so happened that they were never voted in. There wasn't enough press to really remind people of those guys' accomplishments to be considered. But at no time were they banned from induction, they were just ignored. And again, they never got to finish their careers so that kind of made them forgettable.

Pete Rose had the expectation that the court of opinion would decide his fate as to the HOF, not a rule written in to ensure he never get in. And he had a legitimate shot to eventually get in, until the rule was in place.

If you follow this thread, I'm not comparing their actions really, I'm debating the post that said that Pete Rose knew he was not going to ever be elected to the HOF when he signed the agreement. And I stand by it.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Umm, the point is that the HOF didn't exist until 17 years later than the 1919 Sox were gone from baseball. No official rule existed for them to be banned from the HOF, it just so happened that they were never voted in. There wasn't enough press to really remind people of those guys' accomplishments to be considered. But at no time were they banned from induction, they were just ignored. And again, they never got to finish their careers so that kind of made them forgettable.
    I know the Hall of Fame didn’t exist until 17 years afterwards, but there have been plenty of old timer’s who have been inducted nevertheless. Even Ted Williams fought to get Shoeless Joe inducted (I disagreed, fwiw), so it isn’t like there isn’t a precedent.

And, it isn’t even an MLB rule. But isn’t a stretch to say that a Hall of Fame wouldn’t want somebody in there that is banned from baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    You know, having some bust of your head in a building in Cooperstown isn't the only thing to live for. I'd say he's made a pretty good living from that accomplishment. And just maybe he loved playing the same game we loved playing - he just happened to be one of the best ever and holds a record that may never be broken because PED's won't help a person hit a baseball. He didn't quit gambling because he enjoys it. He's true to himself and is living with the consequences. That doesn't mean it sucks to be him or that he's got nowhere in life.
    Then I guess I dont what Rose Is complaining about he made the decision not to be involved in MLB anymore nobody forced him.
    Crazy Reds Fan

The Hall of Fame has been put in a no win position by guys like Rose, Bonds and Clemens IMO. Half the fans, like me, don't care much about the humans in the HOF but do want the players who dominate the history of the game in there. I view the Hall as a Museum about the history of Baseball and when you go into the room with the plaques commemorating the best players in the game's history it seems incomplete and flawed for the game's all time hit leader and it's all time HR leader to be missing and in my eyes, it cheapens the entire thing.

Others view this more as an honor for the person and I certainly understand why people don't want to honor Pete Rose the person. Those people would be offended by Rose being inducted and I completely understand why. I grew up living and dying with the BRM and when the Rose saga surfaced, his banning seemed to invalidate a huge part of my childhood. He doesn't deserve the honor, but I want his plaque in there anyway.

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe a quiet add of the plaques for guys like Rose, Jackson, Bonds etc without being part of the normal induction process and no ceremony at all. Nothing more than adding another piece of furniture to the waiting area. Somebody goes and hangs his plaque and adds his name to the list of Hall of Famers. The plaque should absolutely mention his banning and his offenses against baseball history.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-15-2019),Number_Fourteen (06-19-2019),Rolando (06-15-2019)

I think Rose, Bonds, Shoeless Joe, etc all belong in the Hall.

Warts and all.

The best players to ever play the game, even if they cheated. Plenty of players cheat. Pine Tar. Rubbing whatever on the ball. Steroids. Amphetamines. Etc. Ban them from the MLB, fine. But they all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Warts and all.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

Stingray (02-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I think Rose, Bonds, Shoeless Joe, etc all belong in the Hall.

Warts and all.

The best players to ever play the game, even if they cheated. Plenty of players cheat. Pine Tar. Rubbing whatever on the ball. Steroids. Amphetamines. Etc. Ban them from the MLB, fine. But they all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Warts and all.
    Pine tar, steroids etc.. while wrong never bring into question if a player is trying to win. With gambling it could be that player is either trying to win or lose. Thats the big difference.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-15-2019),TRF (06-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Then I guess I dont what Rose Is complaining about he made the decision not to be involved in MLB anymore nobody forced him.
    In the video he wasn’t complaining about the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post

Pete Rose had the expectation that the court of opinion would decide his fate as to the HOF, not a rule written in to ensure he never get in. And he had a legitimate shot to eventually get in, until the rule was in place.

If you follow this thread, I'm not comparing their actions really, I'm debating the post that said that Pete Rose knew he was not going to ever be elected to the HOF when he signed the agreement. And I stand by it.
    By definition, if you are banned from something for life you should not be considered for high honors by that something.

If a lawyer is disbarred, it goes without saying he will not be eligible to be in a lawyer's hall of fame. If Boss-Hog ever starts talking nominations for a RZ hof, pretty sure no one who's been banned will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    By definition, if you are banned from something for life you should not be considered for high honors by that something.

If a lawyer is disbarred, it goes without saying he will not be eligible to be in a lawyer's hall of fame. If Boss-Hog ever starts talking nominations for a RZ hof, pretty sure no one who's been banned will be considered.
    Except that rule didn't exist until after Rose was banned. What Foster is saying is correct.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except that rule didn't exist until after Rose was banned. What Foster is saying is correct.
    Because no one was dumb enough to bet on baseball after the initial bannings. Why would anyone think such a rule would be necessary?

I think he is perturbed that the reds traded darrell chaney

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Because no one was dumb enough to bet on baseball after the initial bannings. Why would anyone think such a rule would be necessary?
    I agree it doesn't excuse him or the right to be upset about anything, but these are separate organizations. The HOF is not owned by MLB. It's up to them whether they want to have that rule or not.

19. Likes:

Chip R (06-17-2019)

I really wish the HOF would do away with that rule, so that the voters can vote on Pete. There is no way he gets in if they vote, and it will give him one less thing to complain about.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

George Anderson (06-15-2019),Norm Chortleton (06-15-2019)

Turn Off Ads?