Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Is Angry

Re: Pete Rose Is Angry

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Pete is in the HOF! I don't get why people feel he has to have a plaque. All his accomplishments are honored in the Hall
    Stop already. Pete is not in the Hall of Fame. His records and some of his bats, balls etc are, but he's not. Heck, Eric Show is also in the hall of fame under that criteria.

The fact the HOF lists records, doesn't substitute for honoring the greatest players of the game and your argument is beyond stupid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Stop already. Pete is not in the Hall of Fame. His records and some of his bats, balls etc are, but he's not. Heck, Eric Show is also in the hall of fame under that criteria.

The fact the HOF lists records, doesn't substitute for honoring the greatest players of the game and your argument is beyond stupid.
    Technically, I was in the Hall of Fame too.

Visited it a few years ago. 10/10 Would be in the Hall of Fame again.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Belated congratulations to you on your entrance into the baseball hall of fame, from someone who was in the Pro football hall of fame.

Belated congratulations to you on your entrance into the baseball hall of fame, from someone who was in the Pro football hall of fame.
    Thanks! Hopefully they don't find out that I bet on games. I hear that's a deal breaker.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Thanks! Hopefully they don't find out that I bet on games. I hear that's a deal breaker.
    No, you've already entered the HOF, they can't take that away from you. If they would've caught Pete 2 years later, he would already be in also. Heck, if tomorrow it was found out that say Frank Robinson bet against Indians when he managed them he would still be in the Hall of Fame. So basically the only reason the all time hit leader is not in, was he was caught before he was inducted.

Apples and oranges. Never a sign in the dugouts that said if you gamble on baseball, you'll be banned from the Hall of Fame. And never did Rose agree to a ban from the Hall of Fame.

Why can't people separate these two issues. Banned from baseball and banned from the hall of fame.
    I haven’t read the full thread, but I assume people are aware that the Hall changed its rules after Pete was put on the ineligible list.

On February 4, 1991, the Hall of Fame board of directors voted that any player on MLB’s permanently ineligible list would be ineligible for the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose had been put on the permanently ineligible list in August 1989, about 1.5 years before that. Rose’s first Hall of Fame ballot would have been in December 1991.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-14-2020 at 06:26 PM.

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-14-2020),GAC (02-15-2020),Old school 1983 (02-17-2020),texasdave (02-14-2020)

It's a whole different form of cheating. I don't understand why people cant see this!
    You alter history when you cheat, I think what the Astro's did is worse.

Dodgers’ Bellinger: Astros Stole World Series, MVP from Yankees’ Judge
    https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...yankees-judge/

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

No, you've already entered the HOF, they can't take that away from you. If they would've caught Pete 2 years later, he would already be in also. Heck, if tomorrow it was found out that say Frank Robinson bet against Indians when he managed them he would still be in the Hall of Fame. So basically the only reason the all time hit leader is not in, was he was caught before he was inducted.
    And that is relevant why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haunted by walks

I have a ticket to the Hall of Fame signed by Pete Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    it would be very easy for major league baseball to implement a stipulation that a player banned from baseball can apply to be eligible for the hall of fame. let's not confuse "those things can't be separated" with "MLB chooses not to separate them."

it would be as simple as MLB sending out a press release explaining the rules have changed and while people like pete rose are still banned from baseball, they are eligible for the hall. would literally be that simple. just because they have not done that yet does not mean it cannot be done. rules change all the time in many facets. right now, we don't have balls/strikes being called by robots/computers. one day we will. that is one of many examples.
    They used to be separated. The rule was changed when Rose was banned.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That's what has always bugged me. That's one heck of a coincidence.

This is all about character (of Pete) and the agreement between Pete and Giamatti. Should it be?

The HOF is a museum dedicated to the history of the game. How can anyone properly talk about major league baseball in the 70's without thinking of the Big Red Machine. And most would also agree that Pete, Bench, and Morgan (not necessarily in that order) were the main cogs for those teams. Pete was a great player. I don't think that there's anyone that would disagree.

But, Pete was human. He made mistakes. He was way too prone to hanging around people that he shouldn't have. Making more mistakes when he became the manager of the Reds.

I think it should be up to the Veterans Committee. The Veterans Committee includes guys that are already in the Hall of Fame. And if they're ok with him being in the HOF that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

This is all about character (of Pete) and the agreement between Pete and Giamatti. Should it be?

The HOF is a museum dedicated to the history of the game. How can anyone properly talk about major league baseball in the 70's without thinking of the Big Red Machine. And most would also agree that Pete, Bench, and Morgan (not necessarily in that order) were the main cogs for those teams. Pete was a great player. I don't think that there's anyone that would disagree.

But, Pete was human. He made mistakes. He was way too prone to hanging around people that he shouldn't have. Making more mistakes when he became the manager of the Reds.

I think it should be up to the Veterans Committee. The Veterans Committee includes guys that are already in the Hall of Fame. And if they're ok with him being in the HOF that's good enough for me.
    He cheated the game he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame plus if he would have just came out in a minute everything to begin with he probably would be in the Hall of Fame today he's the one who chose to lie about it for years upon years
    Crazy Reds Fan

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And if they had caught Pete the first time he bet on baseball, exactly how many hits would he have? We don't know because Pete conveniently "forgets" when he started gambling on games (yet remembers the curveball thrown to him by some random pitcher he faced thrice in his career back in 1967....)

16. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020),dubc47834 (02-21-2020),LoganBuck (02-23-2020),redhawkfish (02-15-2020),Rolando (02-15-2020)

It's a whole different form of cheating. I don't understand why people cant see this!
    I agree. The practice of stealing signs, and all the different (inventive) methods teams have utilized, has existed in the game so long it's become a tradition. Believe me, if the technology had existed then, they would have used it too (lol).

It's always been treated with one of those "we'll look the other way" (but don't get caught) attitudes. And I always held the position it was an "unwritten rule" that it was acceptable to do so because the burden was on the team giving the signs to protect them.

Now is it cheating? Absolutely. But not on the same level of no gambling which ... #1 is an established posted rule (no ambiguity), and ... #2 Gambling involves the criminal element (bad guys). What's going to happen, as far as public sentiment, trust in the game goes, if they're controlling the game?

IMO, the reason why this Astros stealing signs scandal is so HUGE is... the media, it involved a World Series, and the technology (methodology) utilized. What really "complicates" this was the advanced, intricate system, utilizing technology, they had developed and implemented. One could say it was pretty much a "team effort" (lol), and had to be (IMO) to succeed. But that's just my subjective opinion. One still has to prove that.

I guarantee you that if teams are stealing signs during the regular season - then it was being done in previous World Series too.

But NOW the tradition has evolved into something far more insidious. NOW - just like in the aftermath of the Black Sox scandal (gambling) - MLB is going to have to step in, put the fist down, implement rule(s), and all because of public sentiment (trust) in the game.

This is another "black eye" on baseball. But it was a monster they allowed to exist until the creature turned on them.

The same thing happen in The Blob.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-15-2020 at 02:45 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-21-2020),Norm Chortleton (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

I don't know that the current members of the Hall of Fame are too keen on Pete these days. I seem to recall a number of them, with Mike Schmidt leading the way, advocating for his reinstatement, but then he released that book admitting to having bet on baseball right when that year's Hall of Fame Inductees were being announced. When that happened, a lot of former players who had been in his corner withdrew their support.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?