Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Is Angry

Re: Pete Rose Is Angry

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    LOL...the greatest player of the game, he's not even the greatest hitter the game has ever seen. Pete was a collector of stats, a hanger on. Ichiro was a better hitter in my eyes. Ichiro had the same amount of 200 hit seasons as Pete, and he entered MLB at 27, where Pete entered it at 22. If Ichiro was in MLB at 22 he woulda had a legit shot at the hits record. Pete was a great, but the greatest...NAAAH I'll pass!
    LOL, maybe you should learn to read. Nowhere did I say Pete Rose was the greatest in the game. But he was one of the greatest. But glad I could provide you with a laugh, even though unintended and only because you cannot read.

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-22-2020),texasdave (02-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I agree that Pete is not the greatest hitter of all time. The thing that one can't do with baseball history is use the word "if" when referring to Leaderboard for all-time records. "If" is irrelevant because nobody can change the history and nobody can quantify the "if" because it never happened and it never will happen. "If" never happens.
    I agree that it's hard to use if talking this way, but I do think it's fair to say he could have contended for that if he started in MLB at 22. We'll never know thought!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    LOL, maybe you should learn to read. Nowhere did I say Pete Rose was the greatest in the game. But he was one of the greatest. But glad I could provide you with a laugh, even though unintended and only because you cannot read.
    Lighten up Francis

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lighten up Francis
    I started with a "LOL". How much lighter can I get?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    I started with a "LOL". How much lighter can I get?
    Well if he can't read I'm fairly certain your message was moot

Wouldn't that be "mute"? oh, lol.

It's a moo point, right?

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2020)

I'll settle this for you all ..... Pete was ONE of the greatest hitters in the game. Now Ted Williams, IMO, was THE greatest hitter in the game. IMO. LOL

There were so many though, that I enjoyed watching.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2020)

Problem solved, just create a cheaters and gamblers wing in the HOF. It's as much a part of baseball history as the mythology you get in the rest of the place anyway. Also, I will repeat something I've said elsewhere here; Pete's not that different from others who grew up in his time and place. Betting was a huge part of life in Cincinnati, running through bars and carry out restaurants, the Central Parkway Frisch's serving as one of the main distribution points for betting slips. My great grandfather owned a bar in lower Price Hill that was so openly a hangout for bookies, he even called it the Sportsman' Cafe. My dad recalls a backroom there full of chalk boards and cash. The police knew it and looked the other way. The only thing that really distinguished Pete from his fellow bettors was the amount of cash he had available, enabling him to play more often and for more money. And that's just Cincinnati, no one can convince me that he's somehow an outlier in baseball. No, what distinguishes Pete is that he is universally disliked, unapologetic, ignorant of his public profile and devoid of any humility. Did he bet on the Reds? Of course. But the real problem is he just can't hide that he's a jerk and utterly unrepentant. He doesn't understand that there's a simple path to a plaque; be contrite, stop doing stupid things, gamble less and for less (or at least the latter), stop doing speaking engagements with (of all people!) Paul Hornung. That he would turn the Astros cheating scandal into somehow being about himself is simply another page in his ridiculous book.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-24-2020),dubc47834 (02-23-2020),GAC (02-24-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The only thing that really distinguished Pete from his fellow bettors was the amount of cash he had available, enabling him to play more often.
    The only thing?

Are you forgetting Pete’s involvement in baseball?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The only thing?

Are you forgetting Pete’s involvement in baseball?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was referring to those from his neighborhood, his hangers on, etc., and besides Pete bet way more on horses than baseball, but I see what you're saying, and obviously him being involved in the mlb made it an egregious violation. My point is he was just doing the same thing as those around him...although knowing Pete he wouldn't share tips with them. I'd say now there are probably fewer ballplayers involved in gambling because their wealth allows them to run in different circles. But in the days when they weren't well paid, living in neighborhoods with ordinary folks (the Temples rented next to my mom for example), drinking at corner bars, they would have been rubbing elbows with bookmakers constantly.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 02-23-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

Crumbley (02-23-2020),westofyou (02-23-2020)

he is angry that the reds let Ted Savage go

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Randy maybe, but not Ted.

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was referring to those from his neighborhood, his hangers on, etc., and besides Pete bet way more on horses than baseball, but I see what you're saying, and obviously him being involved in the mlb made it an egregious violation. My point is he was just doing the same thing as those around him...although knowing Pete he wouldn't share tips with them. I'd say now there are probably fewer ballplayers involved in gambling because their wealth allows them to run in different circles. But in the days when they weren't well paid, living in neighborhoods with ordinary folks (the Temples rented next to my mom for example), drinking at corner bars, they would have been rubbing elbows with bookmakers constantly.
    Boom... yes the union has separated that prior income gap. The players prior to 1976 were likely working off season jobs, getting into bad business deals, betting on stuff they should not have etc... Pete is the freaking blueprint for that in the post war, before him it was Hornsby and numerous others.

22. Likes:

Crumbley (02-23-2020),GAC (02-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Interesting story. Ephesian is his real first name.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/bb7b6887
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (02-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?