Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Is Angry

Re: Pete Rose Is Angry

again.

sex. with. a. minor.

I took my son to see Rose talk here in Amarillo. He was F this, F'ing that to 8-9 year old kids. Most of the dads ate it up.

I'm embarrassed I took him. That was about 2001-02 somewhere in there. He mentioned Kearns and Dunn alot.

At some point, he'll pass away and become an even more mythical figure.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-14-2019),OGB (06-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Rose did way more than those other players you point out.

He bet on baseball while a manager of the Reds. Every ball player has it drilled into him that if you bet on baseball you will be kicked out.

He agreed to a lifetime ban from baseball even while stilling claim his innocence, essentially to keep the sordid details hidden.
    Of all the sins a human being can commit I think betting on baseball, even as a manager is pretty low on the list of things that should send someone to the gallows.

I saw him about a year ago here in Indy and I don't recall one F-bomb the entire time. It was stories about baseball in the 60s through 80s, so it was pretty cool to hear the stories IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    What's wrong with betting on baseball when you don't have a baseball job?
    Nothing unless you have aspirations of getting back into the game

7. Likes:

Boston Red (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    When you were told in 1989 that if you ever wanted back in the game
    you need reconfigure your life which meant seek help and stop gambling
    I don't even care that he's gambling. If he wants to bet on the horses, MNF or March Madness, fine, but for God sakes don't bet on MLB anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why would whether he gets in the HOF or not be connected to him "reconfiguring" his life after he retired? The HOF should be based solely on his baseball career....I don't particularly like him, but he is one of the baseball greats of all time and belongs in the HOF. Put him right beside Ty Cobb for all I care, just quit with worrying about his current life...
    The HOF is part of baseball. MLB has made it clear, you don't get in if you bet on the game. He knew that in 1989. He knows it now. The fact that he still bets on baseball with all the other gambling options out there, tells me that he's got a serious problem. No way MLB should let him back in. It's a shame

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Of all the sins a human being can commit I think betting on baseball, even as a manager is pretty low on the list of things that should send someone to the gallows.
    MLB (and I) disagree with you. That's why this rule is posted in every clubhouse. Everyone knows this violation is paramount in MLB

Except every player, manager and executive knew that "no betting on baseball" was the one single rule you could not break. That it was grounds for banishment. It was on signs in every clubhouse and elsewhere in the stadium. May still be.

See the pic below.

I don't recall any signs painted on outfield walls advising against PEDs, spitballs, assault and battery, adultery, etc. (Playing pepper might get you a slap in the wrist, though.)

Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 06-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.

12. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The HOF is part of baseball. MLB has made it clear, you don't get in if you bet on the game. He knew that in 1989. He knows it now. The fact that he still bets on baseball with all the other gambling options out there, tells me that he's got a serious problem. No way MLB should let him back in. It's a shame
    He knew it in 1963. Every player from 1900-present knew it.

How do you feel about a married man in his 30's sliding up to a teen aged girl with a "how you doin'"?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    He knew it in 1963. Every player from 1900-present knew it.
    No he did not know it in 1963. He didn't know it until 2 years after he was banned since that's when the HOF installed the rule. The HOF is not owned nor run by MLB. Rob Manfred made that clear on his last ruling on Pete Rose. He said he will not allow Rose back into MLB, but he has no control over the HOF. The HOF can let him in without Manfred or anyone else's permission Manfred also said he has no control over the Reds HOF and that if they choose to induct him that's their business That has ticked me off about the Reds as they could've and should've inducted him when he was eligible.

The HOF is a great honor for the players inducted but it exists because the fans want the museum of the history. You can't leave out players that earned their induction by what they did on the field without leaving out a part of the history you are being counted on to present.

The real kicker is this. Had Pete Rose been inducted before his gambling was found out, he would already be in the HOF and we all know they wouldn't have removed him So what they're doing is putting a 5 year probationary period after your career is over before they will induct you so be on your best behavior for 5 years. Nice rule, so make it a rule. It never was The 5 year period was a way of ensuring a player was really retired before he went in.

16. Likes:

onehand (06-14-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've said it before: a lifetime ban from baseball ends when the player's lifetime ends. Rose the player deserves to be in the Hall. Rose the man doesn't deserve to ever be able to call himself a Hall of Famer. He should be inducted posthumously.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    How do you feel about a married man in his 30's sliding up to a teen aged girl with a "how you doin'"?
    Don't like it. And if you don't like it and feel it should be a reason to be kept out of the HOF, you should heavily protest because as of now, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Last I looked, the HOF was a large part of baseball.

Rose accepted the ban because he didn’t want his guilt exposed to the world so he could maintain some sense of innocence. Which he did until he no longer could with a straight face.
    I don't disagree with your opinion but the HOF is technically not part of MLB. They are a separate entity who have their own rules. I'd compare it to the eastern European countries after WWII and the Soviet Union. While they were ostensibly their own countries, they knew their bread was buttered in Moscow. Having said that, several former MLB players and executives not to mention the Commissioner are part of the board of directors of the HOF. MLB has a permanently ineligible list. The HOF says it will not allow people on that list into the HOF. I would think if the HOF would change their rules to either allow ineligible players in or something that MLB would frown upon, they would have big problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Don't like it. And if you don't like it and feel it should be a reason to be kept out of the HOF, you should heavily protest because as of now, it is not.
    True.

But he bet on baseball, and that's a lifetime ban. Rose isn't getting in as long as Joe Jackson is left out.

I'm really ok with it. BTW, Rose does not have to go on the field, or participate in any event to sell tickets for the Reds. He was certainly able to open his own independent hitting school, and ANY MLB player had the right to attend independent of being sent there by their parent organization. He'd have made a mint. The Pete Rose Hitting School.

No. Rose wants/wanted the baseball life. I guess he shouldn't have crapped on the rules.

As for the other thing, that is what made him the human equivalent of garbage.

Turn Off Ads?