Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose Is Angry

Re: Pete Rose Is Angry

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He had sex with a minor. He had an ongoing affair with said minor.
    Again, no human being is garbage, no human being is trash.

Using terms like that actually minimize the creepiness of his actions. Not defending Pete here. Just criticizing using those terms to describe any human being.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-16-2019),KySteveH (02-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

True.

But he bet on baseball, and that's a lifetime ban. Rose isn't getting in as long as Joe Jackson is left out.

I'm really ok with it. BTW, Rose does not have to go on the field, or participate in any event to sell tickets for the Reds. He was certainly able to open his own independent hitting school, and ANY MLB player had the right to attend independent of being sent there by their parent organization. He'd have made a mint. The Pete Rose Hitting School.

No. Rose wants/wanted the baseball life. I guess he shouldn't have crapped on the rules.

As for the other thing, that is what made him the human equivalent of garbage.
    Again, I agree Rose should never be allowed back in MLB. That would create a credibility problem that no sport can afford. That's why gambling is the ultimate sin, or the 2nd sin as fixing games is the first. But gambling leads to suspicion of fixing and that cannot be allowed. However, allowing him in the HOF does not create a credibility problem. He can't have an effect on games just because he's a member of the HOF. He is one of the greatest players of all time and deserves to be recognized as such But more importantly, I, as a fan of the history of baseball should not have to put up with the kind of censoring from a museum of baseball based on the behavior of the player. And if they want to put the biggest sign or message they can next to his bust listing his behaviors, that's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Again, no human being is garbage, no human being is trash.

Using terms like that actually minimize the creepiness of his actions. Not defending Pete here. Just criticizing using those terms to describe any human being.
    You are stating opinion as absolute fact.

Trash, garbage, refuse. These are things unfit to be around. It is often disgusting, unpalatable. It's presence is unwelcome.

As is Pete Rose. You are arguing semantics because that's what you do. ALL THE TIME.

You say it minimizes his actions. That is your opinion. In my opinion, as a father of two women, it does not. So I'm going to hold to the trash opinion here and state that in my opinion it does not even violate the board rules, as his behavior, his very life, warrants the description.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

How do you feel about a married man in his 30's sliding up to a teen aged girl with a "how you doin'"?
    Not the best judgment but it's got nothing to do with baseball so I wouldn't consider that grounds for expulsion

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't disagree with your opinion but the HOF is technically not part of MLB. They are a separate entity who have their own rules. I'd compare it to the eastern European countries after WWII and the Soviet Union. While they were ostensibly their own countries, they knew their bread was buttered in Moscow. Having said that, several former MLB players and executives not to mention the Commissioner are part of the board of directors of the HOF. MLB has a permanently ineligible list. The HOF says it will not allow people on that list into the HOF. I would think if the HOF would change their rules to either allow ineligible players in or something that MLB would frown upon, they would have big problems.
    They are 2 separate entities but I still agree with their decision to not allow banned players in.

8. Likes:

Chip R (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Again, I agree Rose should never be allowed back in MLB. That would create a credibility problem that no sport can afford. That's why gambling is the ultimate sin, or the 2nd sin as fixing games is the first. But gambling leads to suspicion of fixing and that cannot be allowed. However, allowing him in the HOF does not create a credibility problem. He can't have an effect on games just because he's a member of the HOF. He is one of the greatest players of all time and deserves to be recognized as such But more importantly, I, as a fan of the history of baseball should not have to put up with the kind of censoring from a museum of baseball based on the behavior of the player. And if they want to put the biggest sign or message they can next to his bust listing his behaviors, that's even better.
    Rose is in the HOF. He's all over the HOF. He's just not enshrined with a plaque in the HOF.

The history of Pete Rose has been documented in video, books and feats in two Halls of Fame. He's been awarded multiple times as a player, and no history is complete without mentioning him. THE HOF museum has not censored a thing. He's just not enshrined.

And that is his own fault.

You are stating opinion as absolute fact.

Trash, garbage, refuse. These are things unfit to be around. It is often disgusting, unpalatable. It's presence is unwelcome.

As is Pete Rose. You are arguing semantics because that's what you do. ALL THE TIME.

You say it minimizes his actions. That is your opinion. In my opinion, as a father of two women, it does not. So I'm going to hold to the trash opinion here and state that in my opinion it does not even violate the board rules, as his behavior, his very life, warrants the description.
    First, I argue semantics because words are important.

Second, calling a 30 year old who dates 16 “garbage” or “trash” does minimize his actions. When you dehumanize someone by calling them trash or garbage, you make it harder to hold them accountable, it’s as if you’re dismissing them altogether. Calling him a creep, or a disgusting human being holds him more accountable.

I agree with your anger and disgust, and hold the same opinion of Pete as you. I just think the words we call him are important.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-14-2019),Falls City Beer (06-16-2019),Rantly (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not the best judgment but it's got nothing to do with baseball so I wouldn't consider that grounds for expulsion
    Hmm. interesting.

So if it were proved that Player Nathan Forrest of the Alabama Cricket Hunters, (powerhouse team that they are) was outed as a leader of the KKK while he was later managing said team, but eligible for the HOF, and had a lifetime line of .303 .375 .409 .784 with 4,000+ hits in an over 20 year career, you'd let him be enshrined in the HOF?

You'd be ok with him standing on the podium, next to all those African American players and let him make a speech? This isn't 1945. And character flaws are part of the equation, but what Rose did in terms of the rules of baseball warranted the lifetime ban from the sport. His actions after kept that ban in place. But his actions as a player off the field should have put him in prison, marked him as a sex offender, and forced him to register in every state he entered.

Rose can complain all he wants that he's being used. I get the feeling that he is well compensated for that use too.

Second, calling a 30 year old who dates 16 “garbage” or “trash” does minimize his actions. When you dehumanize someone by calling them trash or garbage, you make it harder to hold them accountable, it’s as if you’re dismissing them altogether. Calling him a creep, or a disgusting human being holds him more accountable.

I agree with your anger and disgust, and hold the same opinion of Pete as you. I just think the words we call him are important.
    My daughter called the weird kid in school a creep. Creep as a word to describe what you are talking about is very 1950's.

I think Jeffrey Dahmer was dehumanized and yet not one person would argue that was not appropriate. I mentioned Ted Bundy earlier, same thing. Yes, those are extreme cases involving murder, and maybe that's an over the top comparison.

But I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Honestly I think he said the truth. Baseball and the Reds have used him over and over again to sell tickets but won't let him back in to the game (unless they need him again). He was by far my favorite player growing up and I too have grown weary of his act BUT what he said in this interview is absolutely true.
    I think he does have a point and I'd be fine if MLB and the Reds went back to how things were pre-2000 where they pretended like he didn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I personally know Pete as I used to cut his grass when I was much younger. Great baseball player but not a very good human being at all. That can't be argued. His place in baseball will be argued for many, many more years and I am not sure there is a right answer.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-14-2019)

You are right that words do matter.

Pete Rose is trash.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-14-2019)

They call me "chef"

My daughter called the weird kid in school a creep. Creep as a word to describe what you are talking about is very 1950's.

I think Jeffrey Dahmer was dehumanized and yet not one person would argue that was not appropriate. I mentioned Ted Bundy earlier, same thing. Yes, those are extreme cases involving murder, and maybe that's an over the top comparison.

But I'm ok with it.
    Don't call them trash. It dehumanizes them and prevents them from being held accountable. Call them another dehumanizing term that I just decided is OK while improvising this argument just now.

21. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-14-2019),OGB (06-14-2019),RedTeamGo! (06-14-2019),TRF (06-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Don't call them trash. It dehumanizes them and prevents them from being held accountable. Call them another dehumanizing term that I just decided is OK while improvising this argument just now.
    Something like "Entitled Trash Monkey"?

Turn Off Ads?