Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Billings Roster Posted

Billings Roster Posted

Spotted first by TexasDave

http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=t513

I see only three 2019 guys unless I'm mistaken. A lot more latin players than in the past.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billings Roster Posted

I read an article that said there were three 2019 draftees- Cotton, Hopkins and some college infielder. Not Johnson.

Guess that means Lodolo to Dayton, and Callihan/Hinds to Greeneville. Not sure on Ivan Johnson.
    Go BLUE!!!

Lot of pitchers 22/23+, seems quite old for rookie league to me...they oughta domimate

Jonathan Willems started the season with Dayton, but looks to be back in Billings (possibly after Brian Rey was recently activated).

So, what's the story with Travieso?

Also, which player(s) is the likeliest to be promoted within 30 days?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Guy I'm slightly intrigued with is Seminati (The Italian Job)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-14-2019 at 04:01 PM.

I was hoping Fidel Castro was going to be there. Maybe Greeneville?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-14-2019)

Looks like Billings is going to house the majority of the guys from last season's AZL squad and previous season's DSL team. That team really, really struggled to do much more than lose. Badly.

Not seen from even that squad, however, are its "stars". Nor are the highest draft picks from this year's draft present. Victor Ruiz seems to be the highest rated prospect on the roster, as of now. Perhaps Edwin Yon might make an argument. Jonathan Willems, at number 27, is the top prospect on the Billings roster, according to mlb. That seems... odd.

If this is the Billings roster, Greeneville should see a monster group of guys.

Rylan Thomas, Debby Santana, Ivan Johnson, Rece Hinds, and Tyler Calihan all have pedigree and profile to be Rookie League level above the AZL. And that's just the infielders. Fidel Castro and Nick Lodolo might also fit in there somehow.

It seems strange to have such an underwhelming group set for what is generally considered the better Rookie League level.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-14-2019)

Turns out they need to update the coaching staff as well. Ray Martinez isn't the manager, Cubs legend/All-Star Bryan LaHair is.

Ray Martinez won’t be back after all.

The Billings Mustangs announced Thursday, hours before the first pitch of a fresh Pioneer League Baseball season, that Bryan LaHair will replace Martinez as Mustangs manager. The team didn’t announce a reason for departure of Martinez but LeHair told MTN Sports that he’s been managing this group of players for the last two months at the Reds’ training complex in Arizona, and that he’s known about the move for a couple weeks.

He’s been learning the ropes for a little longer.

“I’ve been working as a manger now for the last two and a half months down there in extended,” LeHair said. “I’ve learned a lot of Jose Nieves and Gookie Dawkins, just the whole staff all the way up and down. (I’m) taking it all in and I’m excited for it. It’s going to be a great year.”
    https://montanasports.com/more-sport...e-opening-day/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I really want to see two things this summer as an indication the Reds new scouting staff has its act together:

1) The AZL team actually have a winning record. They have traditionally been rather poor.

2) The Billings and Greeneville combined record be over .500.

Let's see if these things happen. I hope so. At some point, it just comes down to putting better players on the field than the competition. I would like to see that start to happen at the grass roots level this summer.

14. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I really want to see two things this summer as an indication the Reds new scouting staff has its act together:

1) The AZL team actually have a winning record. They have traditionally been rather poor.

Let's see if these things happen. I hope so. At some point, it just comes down to putting better players on the field than the competition. I would like to see that start to happen at the grass roots level this summer.
    Their pitching was basically batting practice for the other team. I understand the theory of working on particular pitches, but shouldn't the games be the litmus test for showing that they are actually putting in the work and that it's clicking?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Maybe the REDS should hire one guy who goes around from team to team showing all of the pitchers, not only how to hide the pitch, but how to make the fastball motion appear exactly the same as the breaking-ball motion.

It seems organizationally for decades now that our pitchers are too easy to read by opposing teams.

I agree. I think part of the reason for the preponderance of college guys in the draft was just that.

I'll be surprised if this happens as soon as 2019. There are lots of players who were in rookie ball in 2018 who will populate the 2019 rookie ball rosters. Maybe those players take a big step forward (you'd expect some improvement), and maybe the draftees perform well, but I'm looking more to 2020 and 2021 before deciding if the new regime is going to be successful at bringing in amateur talent. Also, they won't get their first shot at an international class until later this summer. But I think we can all agree that the only place to go is up.

It's cool that they have the guy from Summer Catch pitching for them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?