Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Pirates might have broken Chris Archer

The Pirates might have broken Chris Archer

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/chris-ar...s-him-sinking/

The sinker isn’t Archer’s only problematic pitch, but it is his newest one. His four-seamer has resulted in a .380 wOBA this season, which is obviously suboptimal, but it’s also pretty much in line with the .372 wOBA it resulted in during the 2017 season, when he was a 4.5 WAR pitcher. And his slider — easily his best pitch throughout his career — has held up pretty well, holding opposing hitters to a .292 wOBA and generating more whiffs than at any point in his career. Archer can succeed with one bad fastball, even when he’s throwing it nearly half the time the way he did two years ago. It’s adding a second, even worse fastball to the mix that has seemed to unravel his game.

Archer’s sinker isn’t exactly new, per se. He threw a good number of them from 2012-14, and in fact, he was pretty successful with the pitch. In 2014, he limited opponents to a .258/.342/.333 line with the pitch, relying upon it as his primary weapon (41% of all pitches thrown). But the next year, he ditched it, opting to focus on his four-seamer, his slider, and his changeup. It remained that way until he was traded at the deadline last year to the Pirates, an organization who has dug its heels in on focusing on a two-seamer, get-ground-balls approach while the rest of baseball has shifted to a four-seam, strike-guys-out mentality.
    Pretty good stuff here. Even if Archer had been OK (like a Jose Quintana) it would be extremely tough for Pittsburgh to swallow Meadows and Glasnow breaking out post-trade. But he’s been awful and they might have just themselves to blame.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

The Operator (06-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Pirates might have broken Chris Archer

Couldn't happen to a nicer pitcher or organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

bounty37h (06-09-2020),Norm Chortleton (06-03-2020),Rolando (06-15-2019)

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-arche...144112910.html

Pittsburgh Pirates starter Chris Archer won’t take the mound until 2021. Archer underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome Tuesday, the team announced. Archer is expected to return in 2021.

After emerging as one of the best young starters in baseball with the Tampa Bay Rays, the 31-year-old Archer has struggled with the Pirates. In two seasons with the team, Archer has a 4.92 ERA. Archer was limited to 119 2/3 innings last season due to shoulder issues. He dealt with neck tightness this spring.

Shoulder issues = pitchers death

rip chris.

That trade is looking better and better every day.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (06-03-2020),Chip R (06-03-2020)

Name:  shame.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  17.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

You hate to see it.
    Hope isn't a strategy

13. Likes:

Chip R (06-03-2020)

The Pirates picked up his expensive option this winter. I saw one sportswriter call it a "no-brainer". I would have dropped him in a heartbeat.

My tweet from before it happened

Tom Mills
    @TomMillsJax
    ·
    Nov 1, 2019
    Pirates need to stop doing stupid stuff. Archer is a bad pitcher. Cut him and use the $8 million elsewhere. Trade is a sunk cost. That should be first question in GM interviews. If they say they'd pick it up, say "Thanks for your time".
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-03-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Reminds me a little of Latos in terms of how he flamed out early, and then injury issues killed his career.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

17. Likes:

Big Klu (06-03-2020),CarolinaRedleg (06-05-2020),Chip R (06-04-2020),Danny Serafini (06-03-2020),NebraskaRed (06-04-2020),RedsManRick (06-03-2020),Roy Tucker (06-11-2020),Spider Tre (06-03-2020)

A little off topic, but got me wondering about trade value of our starters. Then I realized the trade deadline for Bauer and Disco is blown up this year.
    Anyone know if MLB has addressed the trade deadline and how that'll work?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    A little off topic, but got me wondering about trade value of our starters. Then I realized the trade deadline for Bauer and Disco is blown up this year.
    Anyone know if MLB has addressed the trade deadline and how that'll work?
    i'm sure they haven't. they can't even get out of their own way, let alone make solutions for future problems.

They can't possibly address trade deadlines until they get a deal with the players. In fact that detail will likely be a line or two in that agreement. If there is no agreement, they'll have plenty of time for stuff like that

Turn Off Ads?