Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marty Lays into Reds

Marty Lays into Reds

Last night, when the Reds were losing 7-1, Marty and Doug Flynn let the Reds have it. Both of them said the Reds looked like they weren’t trying. No enthusiasm. Also, Marty criticized the Reds further, saying the Ranger pitcher isn’t very good.
    I noticed a lack of enthusiasm when I saw them lose to the Pirates a couple of weeks ago, when Suarez got plunked.

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty Lays into Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiohaybaler View Post
    Last night, when the Reds were losing 7-1, Marty and Doug Flynn let the Reds have it. Both of them said the Reds looked like they weren’t trying. No enthusiasm. Also, Marty criticized the Reds further, saying the Ranger pitcher isn’t very good.
    I noticed a lack of enthusiasm when I saw them lose to the Pirates a couple of weeks ago, when Suarez got plunked.
    He’s right but the goobers here hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    i'm really going to miss marty. his replacements in the wings will only blow sunshine up my skirt all the time.

6. Likes:

DocRed (06-16-2019),goreds2 (06-16-2019),Kingspoint (06-16-2019),Kinsm (06-16-2019),malcontent (06-15-2019),Powder River (06-16-2019),reds77 (06-16-2019),WVRedsFan (06-18-2019)

Only has to deal with it for a few more months.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Rolando (06-15-2019),wolfboy (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Only has to deal with it for a few more months.
    To be fair he has an easy job. He has every right could jump the reds for not playing well. I would listen to his opinion a lot more if he had the guts to rip out a son for being a bad broadcaster
    Crazy Reds Fan

10. Likes:

Blimpie (06-17-2019),DocRed (06-16-2019),goldglover9 (06-17-2019),NebraskaRed (06-15-2019),wally post (06-16-2019)

Haunted by walks

I think the mental aspect of the game is under-studied. Only a few scholars, such as Yogi Berra, have done much work in the field — in his case, literally.

I wonder what the thought process is like for a player who spends the day getting ready for the game, then the results are “flat.” What was missing? What else was occupying his mind or energy?

Marty might be on to something, but it’s also an easy shot to take. I’d like to see a conversation with some depth to it.

“Nobody’s perfect,” Roark said. “I thought we came out flat. We had a lack of energy. We picked things up along the way, which was good. We need to play with intensity and energy.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rs/1468564001/

13. Likes:

goreds2 (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Goobers?

I like mine boiled

15. Likes:

redsmetz (06-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Goobers?

I like mine boiled
    Goodness, how delicious.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

Chip R (06-17-2019),redsmetz (06-18-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Roark wants intensity? Unless Bell is Edward Hyde when the cameras are off, all I see is a lot of Dr. Jekyll.

Like I said months ago, Bell would make a great neighbor. I'm old, so that's a compliment. He'd put me to sleep in the clubhouse...I'd need that nap room the Twinkies have.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Roark wants intensity? Unless Bell is Edward Hyde when the cameras are off, all I see is a lot of Dr. Jekyll.

Like I said months ago, Bell would make a great neighbor. I'm old, so that's a compliment. He'd put me to sleep in the clubhouse...I'd need that nap room the Twinkies have.
    I reached out to Bell for a comment and he said:

"well, I just think [inaudible] Roark [inaudible] frustrating [inaudible] getting close [inaudible]"

20. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-16-2019),mace (06-16-2019),malcontent (06-16-2019),Red Raindog (06-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Goodness, how delicious.
    As a west coaster I dream about this

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-16-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-16-2019),redsmetz (06-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think the mental aspect of the game is under-studied. Only a few scholars, such as Yogi Berra, have done much work in the field — in his case, literally.

I wonder what the thought process is like for a player who spends the day getting ready for the game, then the results are “flat.” What was missing? What else was occupying his mind or energy?

Marty might be on to something, but it’s also an easy shot to take. I’d like to see a conversation with some depth to it.
    I never played baseball (or any sport) at a high level, so I may be talking out of my rear, but my suspicion is that “effort” is only really a factor when it comes to practice and preparation. Grinding out those hours in the batting cage, the weight room, taking grounders, shagging flies, watching video, etc. I have to believe that, by game time, your thousands of hours of preparation has rendered your movements virtually reflexive. I suspect that the vast majority of players do indeed give close to maximum effort during those 2+ hours, but that the effort put in between games varies much more among players, and can be a major determinant of their success.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-17-2019),Kingspoint (06-16-2019),oneupper (06-16-2019),Powder River (06-16-2019),Revering4Blue (06-16-2019)

It still could happen but was hoping the Reds could have a decent season in Marty’s final year.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?