Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Zach Collins will bulk up again this off-season as he did last off-season. That will improve his rebounding.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    "Up to something" might be troubling to T-Wolves' fans.

The only contracts that they'll be able to move are Teague and Dieng (and those only after getting someone else's back).

I can't see how they can get to a number that Russell will accept that Brooklyn won't.
    All I can think is do they have a taker for Wiggins? Like, maybe if KD goes to Brooklyn, then the Knicks decide to take a risk on Wiggins.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Conley is next on Jalen and Jacoby. That's going to be good.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

They just have to figure out a poison pill for Russell's contract. Minnesota did that with Batum, but Portland matched it anyway. The T-Wolves have tossed in poison pills more than once.

This leaves Portland with $6.2M to remain "under the apron" in order to avoid a "Hard Cap". Their next move will be on June 30th offering to Rodney Hood their $5.7M MLE, which still keeps them "under the apron" so they can sign Aminu and/or move expiring contracts. If Hood rejects it, they will offer the $5.7M to another player, but I'm not sure it will be Kanter or somebody else, all assuming Layman doesn't quickly sign something (highly unlikely) or Aminu doesn't force a decision on the $5.7M MLE quickly in order to retain Aminu.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Portland has extended a qualifying offer to Jake Layman, making him a restricted free agent.

Layman's qualifying offer is worth $1.93M. Portland now has his Bird rights, which means they can exceed the salary cap to re-sign him. Layman was surprisingly productive last season, appearing 71 games (33 starts) and averaging 7.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in 18.7 minutes per contest.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

According to Marc Stein of The New York Times, the Celtics are emerging as a "stealth suitor" for free agent Kemba Walker.

It seems the Celtics have abandoned hope on retaining the services of Kyrie Irving, and are looking at other point guards that will hit free agency this summer. However, Charlotte remains the odds-on favorite to re-sign Walker, as they can over nearly $90 million in guaranteed salary, as Kemba qualifies for a supermax contract this summer.

SOURCE: Marc Stein on Twitter

- - - Updated - - -

Per a report in The Dallas Morning News, the Mavericks and Patrick Beverley regard one another as a "perfect fit."

The Mavs are not alone, as plenty of teams have expressed interest in the pesky point guard. According to the report, the Mavericks and Beverley plan to meet at the start of free agency, although the time and site of that meeting had not been set as of Monday night.

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News

Pelicans forward Julius Randle and the Knicks also have mutual interest, according to Marc Spears of The Undefeated.

With the Pelicans winning the lottery and drafting Zion Williamson, it seems they are set at power forward for the foreseeable future. As a result, they will likely let Randle walk away in free agency. However, the Knicks will have plenty of competition for Randle's services, as he is just 24 years old and averaged 21.4 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 0.9 made 3-pointers last season.

SOURCE: The Undefeated

- - - Updated - - -

The Mavericks will meet with Kristaps Porzingis on June 30 when free agency begins, and they are expected to offer him a five-year, max contract worth $158 million.

This was the expected move all along when the Mavs traded for KP in a contract year this past season, and it would be surprising to see Porzingis pass up this kind of payday. He's a remarkable talent when on the floor, but he's had a tough time staying on the court in his short, three-year career thus far, so there are some inherent risks that Dallas will be taking on by extending him this sort of offer. If he can just make it through 75 games next year, he'll likely be on a lot of winning fantasy teams, but he'll be a risky, early-round target.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter

The Mavericks and Celtics will reportedly aggressively pursue Kemba Walker during free agency.

Both the Celtics and Mavs will have the money to offer Walker a max deal, although no team can offer him the five-year, $221 million deal that the Hornets can. That said, Walker hasn't really conveyed that money will be the most important thing to him during free agency, and his winning situation would likely improve outside of Charlotte. In terms of fantasy hoops, he should be an early-round guy regardless of where he winds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They just have to figure out a poison pill for Russell's contract. Minnesota did that with Batum, but Portland matched it anyway. The T-Wolves have tossed in poison pills more than once.
    First the Wolves have to figure out getting under the cap. Right now they have no money to spend.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

The Mavericks and Celtics will reportedly aggressively pursue Kemba Walker during free agency.

Both the Celtics and Mavs will have the money to offer Walker a max deal, although no team can offer him the five-year, $221 million deal that the Hornets can. That said, Walker hasn't really conveyed that money will be the most important thing to him during free agency, and his winning situation would likely improve outside of Charlotte. In terms of fantasy hoops, he should be an early-round guy regardless of where he winds up.

Kemba in Boston or Dallas would be fascinating. All depends on whether he wants a chance at winning something during his career. Would he take $25M/yr to be on a good team?

The NBA's red-headed step-child, the Orlando Magic, made qualifying offers to three players today.

I believe they will retain Vucevic. This is on the rise. Vucevic is treated very well. There's no reason at all for him not to want to stay there. NBA fans act like Orlando is just a fancy version of the G-League where other teams can take any of their players without Orlando having any say in the matter. There's no income tax in Florida. The weather's great. It's a short distance by plane to Serbia from there. It's an attractive local for foreign players.

Back to the QO's...

Of the three they made, I really like Wesley Iwundu. Wanted the Blazers to draft him two years ago, but I suppose if we had, there would be no money left for a MLE to offer Hood or anyone else in FA. He was part of the rotation last year with 1200 minutes. He was a 4-year college player and came with more maturity. He shot 37% from 3 last season. He got injured about the time that Terrance Ross came into the rotation and took off, and it was Ross who propelled the Magic into a playoff push that got them into the playoffs. Iwundu is an excellent Defensive player, a true 3-and-D Wing. He's only going to get better.

The NBA's red-headed step-child, the Orlando Magic, made qualifying offers to three players today.

I believe they will retain Vucevic. This is on the rise. Vucevic is treated very well. There's no reason at all for him not to want to stay there. NBA fans act like Orlando is just a fancy version of the G-League where other teams can take any of their players without Orlando having any say in the matter. There's no income tax in Florida. The weather's great. It's a short distance by plane to Serbia from there. It's an attractive local for foreign players.
    I generally don't buy the tax argument, in any sport. First off, if you want to live in a cush location, you're paying some form of taxes/fees. We don't see pro athletes flocking to tax-free states. Also, I'm not so sure I'd want a player to whom that was a priority issue. Would kind of question his focus on basketball.

Orlando is a sleepy town. Seems like the rest of Florida has got Orlando jokes. Maybe Vuce loves theme parks and ducks walking through hotel lobbies, but I don't think it's NBA fans acting like Orlando is a G-League location. Players have a history of wanting out of Orlando - Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, Dwight. Orlando has been a tough sell for a lot of guys. Not assuming that will be the case with Vuce, but it wouldn't be a shock if he was looking for a change of scenery. My guess is they're going to need to sell him that they can put a team around him.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I generally don't buy the tax argument, in any sport. First off, if you want to live in a cush location, you're paying some form of taxes/fees. We don't see pro athletes flocking to tax-free states. Also, I'm not so sure I'd want a player to whom that was a priority issue. Would kind of question his focus on basketball.

Orlando is a sleepy town. Seems like the rest of Florida has got Orlando jokes. Maybe Vuce loves theme parks and ducks walking through hotel lobbies, but I don't think it's NBA fans acting like Orlando is a G-League location. Players have a history of wanting out of Orlando - Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, Dwight. Orlando has been a tough sell for a lot of guys. Not assuming that will be the case with Vuce, but it wouldn't be a shock if he was looking for a change of scenery. My guess is they're going to need to sell him that they can put a team around him.
    You didn't mention one foreign player (nor white). I'm talking about foreign players. The top .000001% of the World's richest people don't see the public. That's Vukevic. What's around Orlando is irrelevant. Proximity to Europe and weather are elite. Foreign players get taxed heavily. Any tax relief they can get helps.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-25-2019 at 09:28 PM.

You didn't mention one foreign player (nor white). I'm talking about foreign players. The top .000001% of the World's richest people don't see the public. That's Vukevic. What's around Orlando is irrelevant. Proximity to Europe and weather are elite. Foreign players get taxed heavily. Any tax relief they can get helps.
    Orlando's sleepy regardless of your nationality or race. And I assume Vuce likes to go outside and enjoy his money a bit. I've lost count of how many pro athletes I've seen out in Boston over the years.

Proximity to Europe? A quick search turns up zero direct flights from Orlando to Belgrade. The entire eastern seaboard has proximity to Europe, and Belgrade (44.8 degrees north) is actually north of Toronto (43.7 degrees north). The east coast also slants west as you head south. So the NBA city with the closest proximity to Belgrade (and direct flights there) is Boston. Rest assured, the Magic isn't pitching that they're close to Europe.

Elite weather? I suppose if you love humidity and lots of bugs it's elite.

I'm not saying he's not going to stay. I don't know him personally. Neither do you. Yet we do know Orlando has been challenged to attract and keep players. I will reiterate, their pitch had better make basketball sense. They have Bird rights, so they can pay him more than anyone else. Yet he's at a phase of his career where it's win now or maybe win never.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Orlando's sleepy regardless of your nationality or race. And I assume Vuce likes to go outside and enjoy his money a bit. I've lost count of how many pro athletes I've seen out in Boston over the years.

Proximity to Europe? A quick search turns up zero direct flights from Orlando to Belgrade. The entire eastern seaboard has proximity to Europe, and Belgrade (44.8 degrees north) is actually north of Toronto (43.7 degrees north). The east coast also slants west as you head south. So the NBA city with the closest proximity to Belgrade (and direct flights there) is Boston. Rest assured, the Magic isn't pitching that they're close to Europe.

Elite weather? I suppose if you love humidity and lots of bugs it's elite.

I'm not saying he's not going to stay. I don't know him personally. Neither do you. Yet we do know Orlando has been challenged to attract and keep players. I will reiterate, their pitch had better make basketball sense. They have Bird rights, so they can pay him more than anyone else. Yet he's at a phase of his career where it's win now or maybe win never.
    Orlando is keeping the money, turning the job over to Bamba anyway, so it doesn't matter.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-26-2019),Rojo Rijo (06-26-2019)

Turn Off Ads?