Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I’m not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I’m not your fwend buddy!)

Random Celtics stuff I've heard in the past couple of days:

- Julius Randle at C?

- Maybe they make an offer on D'Angelo Russell.

- Romeo Langford is pure trade bait. This is one makes some sense since I don't see where his minutes are with this team.

- Hayward for CP3.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

- Julius Randle at C?

- Romeo Langford is pure trade bait. This is one makes some sense since I don't see where his minutes are with this team.

- Hayward for CP3.
    I suggested Hayward for CP3 earlier in this thread, but I think the Celtics would be better to try to get Clint Capela.

All in all, if I were Houston, I’d see if the Wizards would bite on moving John Wall. He’d be a perfect fit in D’Antonis system, but could also clash with Harden.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Are you evaluating Grant Williams or Thybulle? Williams was picked 22nd.

Even looking at past drafts, the only pick the Celtics have made that isn’t a head scratcher has been Tatum, and given the signing of Hayward at that time it kinda was. Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart haven’t panned out, but it’s possible Brown could work out.
    I was referring to Williams. IMHO, while I don’t view him as a potential bust, you don’t go with a “safe” pick with (among others) Kabengele and Little (7’1” wingspan in an era of positionless basketball) still on the board.

Many pundits had Ainge drafting Dunn or Bender in ‘16, so a bullet was a dodged there. Surprisingly enough, Smart has held his own against fellow draft classmates based upon analytics. But what it really boils down to is that the draft years were not exactly top-heavy in the years in which the Nets picks conveyed. And though I’d make the Irving trade every day and twice on Sunday, there’s a good chance that Sexton outperforms Tatum and Brown (not collectively) when all is said and done.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I was referring to Williams. IMHO, while I don’t view him as a potential bust, you don’t go with a “safe” pick with (among others) Kabengele and Little (7’1” wingspan in an era of positionless basketball) still on the board.

Many pundits had Ainge drafting Dunn or Bender in ‘16, so a bullet was a dodged there. Surprisingly enough, Smart has held his own against fellow draft classmates based upon analytics. But what it really boils down to is that the draft years were not exactly top-heavy in the years in which the Nets picks conveyed. And though I’d make the Irving trade every day and twice on Sunday, there’s a good chance that Sexton outperforms Tatum and Brown (not collectively) when all is said and done.
    But he also passed on Jamal Murray.

Murray would have filled a massive need for Boston but at the same time you can’t predict how he would have turned out under Stevens.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No, but I don't care to rehash your faceplants. Do you have any insights whatsoever into the Atlanta Hawks?
    Feel the force young Obe-Won.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

- Julius Randle at C?

- Hayward for CP3.
    Randle would be fun to watch, but he's not a center. He can rebound from the spot well enough and his defense is adequate to plus on the switch (depending on the season and rotation responsibilities). He can defend one through five in short spurts. But he has short arms and cannot defend the hoop. At all. He may be one of the worst in the league, in fact, even as a PF. Still, there's merit to playing a run and gun, shoot and fly style, wherein Randle could be effective pairing with a PF who can play at the rim. (Does Boston have one of those? Tatum doesn't seem built for that, nor does Morris.) And while that style would fit Tatum and Brown to a tee, it's not exactly Coach Stevens strength, is it?

There is a poetic justice to Russell replacing Irving in Boston, while Irving replaces Russell in Brooklyn. Were I Russell, Boston would be intriguing. Lots of shooters to play with, certainly. That said, Russell may want to be more of a shooter himself. If he does be a primary or secondary option offensively, Minnesota and Phoenix would seem to be better options.

Langford as trade bait makes more sense than Langford as a Celtic. No time there, as mentioned.

I love the implications of a CP3/ Hayward trade. Hayward is a perfect secondary option for the Rockets. The trio of he, Harden, and Gordon on the perimeter should strike terror in the hearts of just about everyone. And he plays decent defense against bigger opponents. Paired with Tucker and Capela, that'd make Houston the team to beat, IMO. For the C's, Paul would be an ideal PG-- and, with Smart behind him, they may have enough depth to withstand his struggles with health. (And keep those reserves happy.)

8. Likes:

M2 (06-22-2019)

From an interview with Tar Heel Blog writer and editor Brandon Anderson:

Steve: What is the most misunderstood part of Little’s tenure with the Tar Heels?

Brandon: This is going to sound weird, but I feel like the most misunderstood part of Little’s tenure is just how good he was. Everyone focuses on the fact that he started off the bench, that his numbers weren’t on par with Zion Williamson, and a lot of other noise. However, if you take the time to look at the numbers, he still had a pretty good season. He shot at a 47.8 percent clip, pulled down close to five rebounds per game, and he averaged 21.5 points per 40 minutes (if that’s a statistic that one takes stock in).

If we really want to break it down, Little’s problem during his time at Carolina was getting adjusted to how Roy Williams wanted him to play, coupled with bad luck. There were a few occasions where it looked like everything was starting to click for him, and then he’d get injured. By the time the NCAA Tournament rolled around, Little was arguably the best player on the floor for the Tar Heels. Then he came down with flu-like symptoms and struggled against Auburn. It’s easy for anybody outside of the program to think that he went to the wrong school or that he just wasn’t good, but the reality is that Little had a learning curve. Regardless of that curve, he always stood up to the challenge, but unfortunately luck was against him at various points during the season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The ideal NBA landscape is:

Great teams in NY and LA, meaning the Lakers and Knicks, not the Nets and Clippers.

Great team in Chicago.

Great teams in Philly and Boston.

Two great teams in Texas.

Great team in Atlanta.

The rest doesn't matter.

The landscape looks pretty good with the Clippers heading towards being a great team and the Nets heading that way and the Sixers heading that way.

The Lakers are heading that way.

Chicago and Atlanta have great young cores where the speed of their growth is al that will slow them down.

Boston is being abused by the media right now, but in the end, Ainge always gets it done.

NBA is in pretty great shape, and theye got their wish they've always wanted...an international Champion to help push the markets outside the U.S.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    But he also passed on Jamal Murray.

Murray would have filled a massive need for Boston but at the same time you can’t predict how he would have turned out under Stevens.
    Ditto for Fox in ‘17, even with the eventual Kylie trade factored in.

Given the reluctance to deal the pick that became Tatum or Tatum himself for Butler or George in ‘17/Kawhi in ‘18, Tatum had better become all that and a bag of chips.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

12. Likes:

WVRed (06-22-2019)

This would be huge:

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Bobby Portis has "significant interest" in signing with the Utah Jazz, according to Tony Jones of The Athletic.

The Jazz have been rumored to have interest in Portis, and it appears that interest is mutual. After a career-best season last year, Portis enters the market as a restricted free agent. The Wizards have interest in retaining him, but it might not be easy for them to do so with 5-10 teams tracking him. Portis would give the Jazz a big man that is more comfortable shooting from the outside than both Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors.

SOURCE: Tony Jones on Twitter

The Timberwolves are sending strong signals around the league that they are planning to pursue D'Angelo Russell this summer, ESPN's Zach Lowe said on a recent podcast.

Wolves star Karl-Anthony Towns, a long-time friend of Russell, has been recruiting the free agent guard for some time now, and the team's interest goes even further than just Towns. Russell is a restricted free agent and the Wolves are capped out with horrific contracts, which makes it really tough to envision a scenario where he ends up in Minnesota. The Pacers and Lakers also like Russell, while the Nets have interest in retaining him if they miss out on Kyrie Irving.

SOURCE: Real GM

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

The Timberwolves are sending strong signals around the league that they are planning to pursue D'Angelo Russell this summer, ESPN's Zach Lowe said on a recent podcast.

Wolves star Karl-Anthony Towns, a long-time friend of Russell, has been recruiting the free agent guard for some time now, and the team's interest goes even further than just Towns. Russell is a restricted free agent and the Wolves are capped out with horrific contracts, which makes it really tough to envision a scenario where he ends up in Minnesota. The Pacers and Lakers also like Russell, while the Nets have interest in retaining him if they miss out on Kyrie Irving.

SOURCE: Real GM
    And I want a pony.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2019),Revering4Blue (06-23-2019)

Willie Cauley-Stein wants out of Sacramento, according to his agent.

Cauley-Stein would be ideal in Boston.

How about in New Orleans with their tempo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Willie Cauley-Stein wants out of Sacramento, according to his agent.

Cauley-Stein would be ideal in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    How about in New Orleans with their tempo?
    Maybe.

IMO, in today's NBA, you need (at least) four shooters to occupy the floor at the same time. You can hide one non-shooter as a rim-running defender, but typically not two.

Williamson doesn't yet shoot well enough from outside to take his man out there and expose the middle of the court to drives, layups, and all the good things offenses can take advantage of. At least he hasn't shown it yet (and, as a Dukie, he'd have shown it if he had it, IMO).

Two non-shooters clog everything up.

At Kentucky, Cauley-Stein could shoot pretty well out to 15 feet, and his form looked good. The results-- especially his free throw shooting-- were never great, but he didn't look hopeless. I thought he'd be a better shooter by now. Perhaps he is, and the system wasn't a good fit. (That tends to happen on some teams), but Joerger was an exceptional coach who doesn't strike me as particularly stringent in his views on where bigs should play.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2019),M2 (06-23-2019),Revering4Blue (06-23-2019),UKFlounder (06-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?