Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I’m not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I’m not your fwend buddy!)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Demar Derozan is on the block...smart move by the Spurs...
    I'm trying to figure out who might be buying? Denver? I assume the Bucks would love him, but I don't think they can move the money at this point in time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about these hypotheticals? Who says no?

DeRozan to Detroit for Blake Griffin.
    Moves Aldridge to C and makes Spurs much better defensively and more interesting offensively.

DeRozan to Houston for Capela and Gordon.
    Let's make the Rockets all ball-dominant guards! He'd kill as a wing, though. You know he'd be up for it.

DeRozan and Patty Mills to Boston for Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward.
    Best deal for both squads, IMO. Hayward could become a star again surrounded by quality guys.

DeRozan to Indiana for TJ Warren and Myles Turner.
    Fun to see if Myles would be a point center and if Warren would blossom further under Spurs' shooting coaches. DeRozan and Oladipo would be nearly unstoppable running downhill on people.

DeRozan to Portland for CJ McCollum?
    McCollum's two years younger. He might blossom a bit. It'd probably take Portland's 1st rounder as well. It'd fix much of the Blazer's defensive inadequacies at guard.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And PHI, BOS and BRK. And TOR isn't still a pretty decent team.

Unless they get a good PG, I don't think the Magic are all that much of a threat to finish top 4 in the EC. They look like the #8 team in the conference to me.
    We finished 7th last year and didn't lose anybody significant or have any significant coaching changes. Now we're looking at adding in Fultz, Aminu, and Bamba to that core that just had a very successful second half. This team wins 50+ next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    We finished 7th last year and didn't lose anybody significant or have any significant coaching changes. Now we're looking at adding in Fultz, Aminu, and Bamba to that core that just had a very successful second half. This team wins 50+ next season.

Maybe this Fultz kid can play PG? What'd he have? 10 Assists in about 15 minutes in his debut two years ago?

They should finish Top-5 in the Conference and be in the thick of the homecourt race in the 1st Rd. If Orlando finishes Top-3 in Defense in the East, and I can't find any reason why they won't, as they are long and studded with quality Defenders, while they are the most stable team of any team in the East having the most minutes together of any core group in the East which with Defense is half the battle...playing together, then they will certainly travel well and also win on the road. Defense travels. Offense doesn't.

Absolutely no reason why 3rd Seed overall in the East should not be their goal. With Terrance Ross there for a full year, Fultz integrated into the rotation (he's coming along fine they keep saying), and recent history suggests that they aren't done improving this team with another in a long string of positive moves, Aminu capable of 15 points any given night and will probably average in double figures not having to defer to Dame and C.J. anymore, they have plenty of Offense that used to disappear when the Starters came out of the game. Aminu has never had a negative +/- in his career for a season. Dame is the only other Trail Blazer from the past five years who can say that.

Assuming Fultz doesn't step on the court....ever, as they should rely on him as much as the Blazers should have relied on Oden, the Starting PG is Augustine and the backup is MCW (unless he is usurped or Augustine is usurped and pushed to MCW's backup spot).

From the Orlando Sentinel, a nice bit of info on Augustine:

'The 2018/19 season was the first time in almost a decade that Augustin started every game he played in. He responded incredibly well, turning in what was close to (if not) a career-year and guiding the Magic to their first post-Dwight playoff appearance. He was a dependable veteran presence on a team that needed it, putting up a steady 12 and 5 on his best ever effective field goal percentage numbers (.566). He managed to avoid the odd every-second-year shooting slump that has emerged as a pattern across his career, nudging his three-point accuracy up to 42.1% and converting over half of his two-point shots for the first time ever.

Elsewhere, Augustin was just as efficient. He committed a meager 1.6 turnovers a game despite playing almost 30 minutes a night, recording a turnover rate of just 14.3%. A little less of his own scoring was predicated on the three-point shot, evidence of a slightly more aggressive play style focused on probing the heart of the opposition defense. The percentage of his shot attempts at the rim rose to 26.7% of his total, up more than a staggering 10% on his first season in pinstripes. He was also fantastic finishing at the hoop, with a conversion rate of almost 65% despite his short stature. When the floor was spaced he was able to take advantage.

Another significant strength of Augustin’s game was in the pick-and-roll. He ran these frequently -- almost half of all possessions he initiated -- generating 0.96 points per possession as the lead ball handler in these sets. Among point guards playing significant minutes this was a strong result, just behind names like Lillard, Curry and Walker but ahead of Conley, Westbrook and Russell.

In fact, the only real weakness of Augustin’s 2018/19 season -- and the factor holding him back from being a featured starter-level talent -- was his minuscule usage rate. Despite the expectations of his position, he finished just 17.2% of Magic possessions when he was on the court, a figure that ranks him fifth on the team in terms of those who played at least 1,000 minutes. Some of this is obviously because of Nikola Vucevic’s role as the fulcrum of the offense, but even that is a necessity borne of the backcourt circumstances."

From January 1st, the Magic were #2 in Defensive Rating (behind MIL) and #3 in Net Rating (behind MIL and TOR).

They are easily the most overlooked team in the East.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't like the backcourt, at all. They're not even willing to commit to when Fultz might play. I recommend putting no stock in him. He's got mental health issues, and there's no telling when or if he'll be able to overcome them. Augustin is the PG and last year was arguably his best season. It's a low peak. The Magic look highly imbalanced to me, overloaded at C and PF. They're not a great spacing or ball movement team. They ranked 25th in pace. It's a bit of throwback squad. Honestly, they could use Chris Paul. He'd know how to run that kind of team.

I can see an argument for 6th in the East. Can't see them going any higher. Yet I think Toronto is still ahead of them and I like Miami better now that it's got Butler. They're going to need something like a breakout season from Jonathan Isaac to take another leap forward. At least that's my take on them.

I don't like the backcourt, at all. They're not even willing to commit to when Fultz might play. I recommend putting no stock in him. He's got mental health issues, and there's no telling when or if he'll be able to overcome them. Augustin is the PG and last year was arguably his best season. It's a low peak. The Magic look highly imbalanced to me, overloaded at C and PF. They're not a great spacing or ball movement team. They ranked 25th in pace. It's a bit of throwback squad. Honestly, they could use Chris Paul. He'd know how to run that kind of team.

I can see an argument for 6th in the East. Can't see them going any higher. Yet I think Toronto is still ahead of them and I like Miami better now that it's got Butler. They're going to need something like a breakout season from Jonathan Isaac to take another leap forward. At least that's my take on them.
    Every team has to learn how to win in the regular season before they can learn how to win in the playoffs. It's just a fact of the NBA. Last year ORL learned how to win in a playoff race and succeeded. This year they'll build on that and try to win more in the regular season. They experienced the playoffs last year and will experience them again.

A successful season will be a 5th seed or higher and at least two playoff wins. Exceeding that will be a bonus. A reasonable goal will be 4th Seed and advancing to the 2nd Rd.

As far as Augustine goes, the Sentilal article sjows that he performed better than 50% of the Starting PG's in the NBA last season. There's no reason to think he won't do as well, or better.

Fournier is decent. Terrance Ross is very good. Above Average. Ross gets to have a camp this year. He can score as well as anyone and should average 16+ off the bench. But, again, the Magic will hang their hats on their Defense, as good as anybody in the East.

The Magic regularly blew out and demolished every playoff team they faced in the 2nd half of the season after Ross started getting regular minutes. In one 20-game stretch, they had the #1-rated Defensive Efficiency team. Their Defense is going to be much better.

Nobody is going to be blowing out this team and now with Ross, they have a Closer to win the close games they were losing (this is where a better PG than Augustine is needed, and why I think ORL will be buyers at the trade deadline, and if they pick up a Starting PG that moves Augustine to the bench, we can write in Home-Court in the 1st Round and at least a Game-7 golden opportunity to advance into the 2nd Round where they will be a problem with a great 9-man rotation against whoever they face...someone is going to have a Starting PG available at the trade deadline.)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (07-18-2019)

I like the Magic, I think John Hammond has done a good job building a solid team there since he left Milwaukee with most of the ingredients they're thriving with now. That said I would agree they need some real luck to do better than a #6 seed in 2019-2020, I think 50 wins might be too optimistic, but I also think they've got a good future especially if they can get more out of Isaac and Bamba.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like the Magic, I think John Hammond has done a good job building a solid team there since he left Milwaukee with most of the ingredients they're thriving with now. That said I would agree they need some real luck to do better than a #6 seed in 2019-2020, I think 50 wins might be too optimistic, but I also think they've got a good future especially if they can get more out of Isaac and Bamba.
    Isaac had a +1.0 Net Rating last season. He shot 81% from the free throw line. You don't do that without a natural stroke. He shot good %'s from '3' for a 20 and 21-year old, while he should make that 3rd-year leap, like the NFL, traditionally the biggest growth year of a player. He turns 22 in October, so strength should come again this year if he's hitting the weight room this off-season. Orlando has incredible length making it very difficult for anyone to get a shot off on them. At 6'10", J.C. has an Angelic Wingspan. Isaac will draw some press this year as he averages double-figures in scoring and continues his shot-blocking prowess.

His Net Rating was actually better on the road demostrating that he wasn't a typical young player who rided the emotion of the crowd and then wilted on the road. He maturely applied his Defense on the Road like a seasoned Veteran lowering his Defensive Rating by 2.6 points from his home D.R.

Jonathan Isaac's 3rd year looks bright.

No Team in the NBA has been more patient with their players the last three offseasons than Orlando valuing continuity over change and Isaac is benefitting from that patience, as is Bamba, with only a half a season under his belt was knocked out with injury, and now won't be thrust into the pressure of Starting and can develop at a pace that works with him and the team.

One more thing on Isaac and why he should make that 3rd-year "leap".

His Net Ratings for Feb, Mar and April were:

+13.7
    +1.7
    +6.6

Phenomenal numbers!!!
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-17-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Every team has to learn how to win in the regular season before they can learn how to win in the playoffs. It's just a fact of the NBA. Last year ORL learned how to win in a playoff race and succeeded. This year they'll build on that and try to win more in the regular season. They experienced the playoffs last year and will experience them again.

A successful season will be a 5th seed or higher and at least two playoff wins. Exceeding that will be a bonus. A reasonable goal will be 4th Seed and advancing to the 2nd Rd.

As far as Augustine goes, the Sentilal article sjows that he performed better than 50% of the Starting PG's in the NBA last season. There's no reason to think he won't do as well, or better.

Fournier is decent. Terrance Ross is very good. Above Average. Ross gets to have a camp this year. He can score as well as anyone and should average 16+ off the bench. But, again, the Magic will hang their hats on their Defense, as good as anybody in the East.

The Magic regularly blew out and demolished every playoff team they faced in the 2nd half of the season after Ross started getting regular minutes. In one 20-game stretch, they had the #1-rated Defensive Efficiency team. Their Defense is going to be much better.

Nobody is going to be blowing out this team and now with Ross, they have a Closer to win the close games they were losing (this is where a better PG than Augustine is needed, and why I think ORL will be buyers at the trade deadline, and if they pick up a Starting PG that moves Augustine to the bench, we can write in Home-Court in the 1st Round and at least a Game-7 golden opportunity to advance into the 2nd Round where they will be a problem with a great 9-man rotation against whoever they face...someone is going to have a Starting PG available at the trade deadline.)
    You also thought the Magic were possibly going to beat Toronto this year, or at least take them deep. You overrate this team. Like I said, Augustin had arguably his best season, which put him in the middle of the pack for PGs. He's a bit undersized and about to turn 32. Ross isn't a closer. Nice bench scorer, but not a closer. Getting a plus PG would make a big difference. How they clear the salary for one is going to be tricky, could cost them Aaron Gordon.

They needed pace and space, and added neither. They look like they're built for 2004 to me. I'm surprised by what they haven't done so far this summer.

That they didn't beat Toronto isn't a knock on my prediction. Nobody defeated Toronto, while nobody thought they'd win it all.

14. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That they didn't beat Toronto isn't a knock on my prediction. Nobody defeated Toronto, while nobody thought they'd win it all.
    You bought all the wrong teams in the east. You were pimping the Pistons at one point and you insisted the Dipo-less Pacers could make some noise. I get rooting for an upsetting of the apple cart, but Milwaukee, Philly, Boston, Indiana and Brooklyn are all young and good. Those are teams with their best years in front of them. I just don't see where Orlando jumps that line unless it starts playing a more dynamic brand of offense.

A big reason Orlando resigned Vooch and Ross and mopped up all their available space (along with signing AA) as opposed to letting those guys walk and creating a lot of room to make additions to the young core of Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon is likely because they expect this team to take a big step forward next season. How many other playoff teams in the East will have multiple additions without having lost anything significant? The Bucks lost Brogdon and Mirotic, Philly lost Butler and Reddick, Boston lost Kyrie and Al, Toronto lost Kawhi and Danny, Brooklyn just swapped Kyrie for DLo, and Indiana lost 5 of their top 7 players in terms of minutes per game and actually 6 of their 9 if you include Tyreke. Detroit stayed mostly intact only losing Ellington while adding Keef Morris and Rose. Miami is likely better next year based on paper but I'm not convinced that team will fully come together. Orlando gets Bamba and his record breaking wingspan back, adds a stout defender in Aminu, and potentially the 2017 #1 overall pick in Fultz. There hasn't been much news surrounding his climb back but according to Caron Butler he is healthy and is going to be a huge addition to the ball club. We're young, talented, deep, great defensively, and we have shooters. I expect Fournier will be closer to his career 37% 3PT than his career low 34% last season. Bottom line if this team is healthy they will come out of the gates on fire.

A big reason Orlando resigned Vooch and Ross and mopped up all their available space (along with signing AA) as opposed to letting those guys walk and creating a lot of room to make additions to the young core of Isaac, Bamba, and Gordon is likely because they expect this team to take a big step forward next season. How many other playoff teams in the East will have multiple additions without having lost anything significant? The Bucks lost Brogdon and Mirotic, Philly lost Butler and Reddick, Boston lost Kyrie and Al, Toronto lost Kawhi and Danny, Brooklyn just swapped Kyrie for DLo, and Indiana lost 5 of their top 7 players in terms of minutes per game and actually 6 of their 9 if you include Tyreke. Detroit stayed mostly intact only losing Ellington while adding Keef Morris and Rose. Miami is likely better next year based on paper but I'm not convinced that team will fully come together. Orlando gets Bamba and his record breaking wingspan back, adds a stout defender in Aminu, and potentially the 2017 #1 overall pick in Fultz. There hasn't been much news surrounding his climb back but according to Caron Butler he is healthy and is going to be a huge addition to the ball club. We're young, talented, deep, great defensively, and we have shooters. I expect Fournier will be closer to his career 37% 3PT than his career low 34% last season. Bottom line if this team is healthy they will come out of the gates on fire.
    All those teams, except Toronto, added guys to replace, or even improve, what they lost. And all of those teams have young cores. If their plan was that everyone else would have a bad season, they are going to be severely disappointed. My thing with Orlando is it got A seasons out of Vuce, Augustin and Ross and still only won 42 games, and I don't buy any part of Fultz making a difference. Their GM won't even commit to whether he's going to be ready to play to start the season. That young man has problems.

All those teams, except Toronto, added guys to replace, or even improve, what they lost. And all of those teams have young cores. If their plan was that everyone else would have a bad season, they are going to be severely disappointed. My thing with Orlando is it got A seasons out of Vuce, Augustin and Ross and still only won 42 games, and I don't buy any part of Fultz making a difference. Their GM won't even commit to whether he's going to be ready to play to start the season. That young man has problems.
    Now let's not start living in fantasyland and making things up, which is what the above paragraph is full of including your comments on Orlando.

MIL lost more than they gained.

TOR lost a tremendous amount more than they gained.

The Nets lost a heck of a lot more than they gained.

BOS lost a tremdous amount more than they gained.

You're just making stuff up when you say they don't.

Continuity is important.

PHI lost more than they gained.

Only IND gained more than they lost and that's only because Oladipo will be coming back.

"If their plan was that everyone else would have a bad season, they are going to be severely disappointed."

I'm trying to follow you here but all I'm coming up with is you think signing Vucevic, Ross, and Aminu and getting Bamba back does nothing for this team. You bring up "A" seasons out of Vucevic, Augustin, and Ross and only winning 42 games but break the season in half and the more recent half looks much better than the picture you're painting. Orlando was a 17-24 first half team and then a 25-16 second half team. That 26-15 team is what the NBA is going to get next season plus Aminu and Bamba. I don't care if Fultz plays or he doesn't, this team is still going to be the team they were in the second half of last season or better. As far as the GM being "non committal" all Hammond said was "He looks great, he's working hard, he's not playing in the SL but we didn't expect him to, and we want to get him to a level where he is comfortable and we hope its sooner rather than later". That's it. Sure he's unable to commit to an exact time frame for Fultz but you're treating it like he just said "I don't know" and its not that simple.

Turn Off Ads?