Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 (I知 not your fwend buddy!)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    But who has the gold here? I think part of the reason China is reacting the way they are is that the NBA didn’t immediately capitulate like they are used to.

The NBA has a lot of leverage here. Of course they want the money, but there isn’t another option to watch Lebron or Harden.
    China is the one with the gold. If China doesn't show NBA games, what's going to happen with all the Chinese NBA fans? They won't be able to watch the games but what the hell can they do about it, protest? That's a lot of revenue for the NBA to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    China is the one with the gold. If China doesn't show NBA games, what's going to happen with all the Chinese NBA fans? They won't be able to watch the games but what the hell can they do about it, protest? That's a lot of revenue for the NBA to lose.
    I think we are about to find out. It’s a lot easier to control happy people, than angry ones.

The NBA would like to have China, but they don’t need it. There’s a billion people in India too.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    the NBA didn稚 immediately capitulate
    Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Wut?
    Did you have a question?

No, more astonishment at an assertion.

South Park got banned in China too, so there痴 that.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No, more astonishment at an assertion.
    How has the NBA capitulated? Their initial response wasn’t great, sure. I think they are trying to salvage the relationship, which is fine, but they haven’t given anything to this point. I’m not sure why that was an astonishing statement.

How have they not capitulated? I guess Morey still has a job, but only after begging forgiveness for taking such a controversial position on...checks notes...pro-Democracy protestors. The NBA is throwing people out of games for expressing support for HK protestors. The public comments from people like Steve Kerr and James Harden (not to mention the commissioner) have been embarrassing. And the silence of pretty much the entire rest of the league (and their partners like ESPN) speaks volumes.

10. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2019),Stray (10-09-2019)

How have they not capitulated? I guess Morey still has a job, but only after begging forgiveness for taking such a controversial position on...checks notes...pro-Democracy protestors. The NBA is throwing people out of games for expressing support for HK protestors. The public comments from people like Steve Kerr and James Harden (not to mention the commissioner) have been embarrassing. And the silence of pretty much the entire rest of the league (and their partners like ESPN) speaks volumes.
    It痴 not like any of this is surprising.

I never understood the love for Adam Silver. Yes he banned a known racist from the NBA but the NBA has turned into a league run strictly by the players under his leadership. This was someone who was floated not to long ago to replace Roger Goodell in the NFL.

I can稚 help but think any other commissioner would have pulled the teams out of China and told them where to stick it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    ... but the NBA has turned into a league run strictly by the players under his leadership.
    That's exactly what I love about Silver. He figured out the product is the players.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-09-2019)

Michael Porter last season. Bol Bol this season. Two great picks. I have a feeling that Denver is going to start punking people out West, and sooner rather than later.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-09-2019)

Yeah none of that is capitulation. Not fanning the flames more in an effort to try and salvage the relationship is different from giving China whatever they want. Again China is pissed more because the NBA didn’t give into their every demand like they are used to, than Moreys tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It’s not like any of this is surprising.

I never understood the love for Adam Silver. Yes he banned a known racist from the NBA but the NBA has turned into a league run strictly by the players under his leadership. This was someone who was floated not to long ago to replace Roger Goodell in the NFL.

I can’t help but think any other commissioner would have pulled the teams out of China and told them where to stick it.

If you don’t think that Godell wouldn’t have fired any NFL employees that offended China you’re kidding yourself. Xi would have been in Jerry Jones box hanging out with W and Ellen this Sunday.

The NBA got down on their hands and knees and begged China for forgiveness. Maybe they didn't give China EVERYTHING they wanted, but the NBA has still thoroughly embarrassed itself.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's exactly what I love about Silver. He figured out the product is the players.
    Yeah, the NBA is probably my least favorite of the three major pro sports leagues, but I think having the players themselves be the face and voice of the league has been genius from a business standpoint. It doesn't work as well with football and baseball given the nature of the games (and particularly in football with the helmets obscuring the players' faces during the game).

This episode is a good reminder that while the league is "progressive", it's still unprincipled. It shouldn't be a surprise (it's big business), but it is a reminder.

Turn Off Ads?